This recipe is baked in a tube or fluted bundt pan and I like to stick a tiny little vase in the middle and add some spring color. It would be pretty with daisies too!
The lemon zest and lemon juice give it light and refreshing taste.
It's a perfect cake for a spring celebration :)
This is my contribution to Design by Gollum's Foodie Friday pot luck event. Click here and please visit her lovely blog to see all the other beautiful and delicious dishes!
Since this is an 'oldie but goodie' recipe it also qualifies for Suzy's Flashback Friday! You can find more fun 'Flashback' recipes by visiting Suzy's blog Kitchen Bouquet.
Lemon-Cream Dessert Cake
Makes 12 servings
• 1 package (2-layer-size) regular lemon cake mix
• 1 cup water
• 1/3 cup cooking oil
• 3 egg whites
• 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
• 3 egg yolks
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Creamy Lemon Frosting Ingredients (see recipe below)
• 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
• 8-oz package cream cheese (I use "light"), softened
• 8-oz package frozen, whipped dessert topping (I use "light"), thawed. I would think real whipping cream whipped into stiff peaks would also work fine.
• 3.4 oz package instant lemon pudding
• 1 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon zest
1. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, cooking oil, and egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat the mixture for 2 minutes on high speed. Stir in the lemon peel. Reserve 2 cups of the batter.
2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes. Add reserved batter and lemon juice; beat until mixture is combined.
3. Layer batters alternately in prepared pan, beginning and ending with yolkless batter. Swirl lightly to marble. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
4. To assemble cake, cut cake horizontally into three layers. Spread Creamy Lemon Frosting between layers. Frost entire cake with remaining frosting.
Creamy Lemon Frosting:
In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 softened 8-ounce package cream cheese until smooth. Fold in 1 thawed 8-ounce container of frozen whipped dessert topping. In a small bowl, beat 1 package (4-serving -size) instant lemon pudding mix and 1 cup milk for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on low speed; stir in 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel. Fold the pudding into the cream cheese mixture.