Friday, April 10, 2009

Lemon Cream Cake


Today is my daughter's birthday and we celebrated with a dinner party for her last night. Her menu requests haven't changed much in the last few years and she always asks for the same birthday cake. Tradition is a good thing :) I hope you are not adverse to using a boxed cake mix because that is what is called for here. I try to look for a brand that contains as many 'natural' ingredients as possible.


This recipe is baked in a tube or fluted bundt pan and I like to stick a tiny vase in the center and add some spring color. It would be pretty with daisies too!

The lemon zest and lemon juice give it light and refreshing taste.


It's a perfect cake for a spring celebration :)




Lemon-Cream Dessert Cake
Printable Recipe

Makes 12 servings

Cake Ingredients

• 1 package (2-layer-size) regular lemon cake mix
• 1 cup water
• 1/3 cup cooking oil
• 3 egg whites
• 2 tablespoons finely shredded lemon peel
• 3 egg yolks
• 3 tablespoons lemon juice

Creamy Lemon Frosting Ingredients (see recipe below)

• 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
• 8-oz package cream cheese (I use "light"), softened
• 8-oz package frozen, whipped dessert topping (I use "light"), thawed. I would think real whipping cream whipped into stiff peaks would also work fine.
• 3.4 oz package instant lemon pudding
• 1 cup milk
• 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon zest

Directions:

1. Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan; set aside. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, water, cooking oil, and egg whites with an electric mixer on low speed until moistened. Beat the mixture for 2 minutes on high speed. Stir in the lemon peel. Reserve 2 cups of the batter.

2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 2 minutes. Add reserved batter and lemon juice; beat until mixture is combined.

3. Layer batters alternately in prepared pan, beginning and ending with yolkless batter. Swirl lightly to marble. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.

4. To assemble cake, cut cake horizontally into three layers. Spread Creamy Lemon Frosting between layers. Frost entire cake with remaining frosting.

Creamy Lemon Frosting:

In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sifted powdered sugar and 1 softened 8-ounce package cream cheese until smooth. Fold in 1 thawed 8-ounce container of frozen whipped dessert topping. In a small bowl, beat 1 package (4-serving -size) instant lemon pudding mix and 1 cup milk for 2 minutes with an electric mixer on low speed; stir in 1 tablespoon finely shredded lemon peel. Fold the pudding into the cream cheese mixture.

18 comments:

  1. What a wonderfully refreshing spring cake. My nieces birthday is on Easter this year and I am baking her cake. I think this would be perfect! Wish your daughter a happy birthday from me and I hope you have a Happy Easter! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must have been thinking alike for this FF.
    Spring time to me is light and delicious desserts and lemon is one of the best! I want to try your frosting the next time I make my cake:) It sounds yummy!
    Happy birthday to your daughter!

    Thanks for sharing and Happy Easter!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely - I really like the way you piped the icing, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious..a perfect cake for this time of year..or anytime.
    Glad you had a great celebration!
    Happy Easter, dear Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so NOT adverse to boxed cakes for YOUR recipe..I have made it 3 times so far..since you first shared it....and have extra boxes in the pantry! This is beautifully presented!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, what a pretty cake ... you did a lovely job. It just says spring to me ( or summer with daisies).

    What a sweet tradition for you and your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty looking cake, Susan! Perfect for a spring birthday! Best wishes to the birthday girl!

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan - The cake looks so appealing...I think it's sweet that Lauren wants the same cake every year.
    Beautiful photo - great presentation..I like the idea of putting a flower and vase in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lemon anything and this looks really good -- love the flowers in the center -- makes the cake sing spring! And anything that has cream cheese in the frosting . . .

    I may try it this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is one of the most beautiful lemon cakes I've ever seen. Just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed this last night! Somehow your little thingy doens't update as often as it should on my blog lol. That cake is so scrumptious looking. Such a soft pretty yellow too. And you pretty it up even more with the little vase. What a sweet mother you are. The table is just beautiful..very springy and sunshiny. My sister loves yellow and I bet she would like everything about this post. (Like me!) Great flashback recipe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, I've been eager to see this since you mentioned it the other day. Wow, looks fantastic and I'm sure it tastes wonderful. Happy (belated) birthday to your DD.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Truly beautiful cake as well as presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, what a superb cake! I can't wait to make it. Happy belated birthday to Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a pretty cake - I can imagine it tastes wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What's not to love about Lemon Cake?

    But, I have to tell you, that creamy frosting would never survive a trip to the pastry bag. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of my favorite recipes! I made it two years ago for my 25th birthday, but instead of cake, I made cupcakes. I followed the directions for using a tube pan, but just layered in cupcake tins. I use the frosting recipe for Swedish Pancakes as well! Thank you for this new family favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy you enjoy it, Christina! My family loves it too :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!