Thursday, June 10, 2021

Classic Rhubarb Crisp with Buttery Crumble Topping

 

Warm weather is the perfect time for cool and refreshing desserts and if you enjoy rhubarb as much as I do, here is an easy and delicious dessert to put together.  I usually like to try at least one new rhubarb recipe when my rhubarb is ready for picking.  Seeing an instagram friend's @2020kcmd post was the initial inspiration for making rhubarb crisp. If you have a friend or neighbor that asks if you want some rhubarb, take it and make this! 


The rhubarb crisp recipe I chose was originally shared by a dear friend who sadly passed away not long ago, Barbara from Moveable Feasts.  She loved rhubarb as I do and shared many great recipes, including this one, which comes from Mark Bittman.  The crumble topping, however, comes from my blogging friend and fellow garden lover of over 20 years, Monique at La Table de Nana.  She shared an apple crisp with crumble topping from this French site.  It is a delicious, buttery, crunchy topping that holds up beautifully to the moisture in the rhubarb.  


This is a lightly sweetened, pure rhubarb dessert with orange or lemon zest and juice added for a bit of citrus brightness. The sweet crumble topping adds the rest of the sweetness to the dessert.   

A large scoop or two of vanilla ice cream gives the whole dish a creaminess that is irresistible!  Enjoy! 

Classic Rhubarb Crisp


Serves 6 to 8

6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces, plus more for greasing pan
2-1/2 to 3 pounds rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 5 to 6 cups)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon orange or lemon zest
1 tablespoon orange or lemon juice

Topping:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats (not quick oats)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup butter, cut into cubes

In a bowl, mix all of the topping ingredients with a fork until well combined and refrigerate for while making the rhubarb filling.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. degrees. Butter a 8 or 9 inch baking dish (I used a 11 x 7 inch glass baking dish). Toss rhubarb with white sugar, orange or lemon zest and just pour out into the baking dish, leveling it as best as possible.

Sprinkle crumble topping over rhubarb as evenly as possible. You may have extra, which can be refrigerated for a future crumble topping dessert.

Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden and beginning to brown and rhubarb is bubbling. Remove from oven and allow to cool. This is best eaten while slightly warm but may be made in the morning and refrigerated. Take out of refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving or warm slightly in a 350 for about 20 minutes.

Serve with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream.

29 comments:

  1. Gosh it looks good♥Memories of Barbara♥
    Your new posts arrived perfectly Pea.Your rhubabrb is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Monique!! It has done so well here and that's amazing. I'm so glad about the posts arriving in good order. ♥

      Delete
  2. Your rhubarb crisp looks wonderful, Susan, but sadly, rhubarb doesn’t grow here. I wish I could taste yours. Yea, I received your post, too. Happy baking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too hot for rhubarb there, I'm sure! Quite the Midwest thing, I believe. My mother always grew it too. Thanks so much, Kitty!

      Delete
  3. Love-love rhubarb, waiting for my new fledgling plant to grow... This looks spectacular-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yay! So happy to hear your growing some too. It takes almost three years for it to be old enough to start picking. A looooong wait! Thank you, Lynn!

      Delete
  4. I love all sorts of crisp, crumb and streusel. This one with rhuubarb sounds and looks very yummy and moreish. p.s I notice that now you are using mailchimp..everything looks great! It's time for me to switch too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! We really enjoyed this one. I thought it would be tart but it wasn't at all and so easy to make. Yes, I wasn't happy with the first mail distributor I chose as far as emails coming from them and not from my site. It took a while to figure out how to use the 'blocks' in the email campaign!

      Delete
  5. I love rhubarb but I have to buy it . Your crisp looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing the recipe and the passing of your friend Barbara. I enjoyed reading her blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gerlinde! You may have to buy rhubarb but you have many other advantages living in a warmer climate :) Barbara shared some great recipes. She is missed.

      Delete
  6. I've always been a rhubarb fan and I'll save this for when I can eat carbs again. It looks super good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the carb, Larry! Both my husband and I went almost carb free for a month to try and lose our added winter Covid pounds :)

      Delete
  7. Rhubarb is not easily available in India and whenever I see a dessert made with rhubarb I really crave to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew a good substitute for rhubarb and it's distinct tart flavor. I've read that quince or perhaps cranberries might work. Hope you get to try it one day!

      Delete
  8. The classic versions are always the best, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Rhubarb Crisp looks amazing. Add a cup of tea and a good book and I'm in heaven.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rhubarb is something that was easy to obtain in New England but here in Florida, I never see it in our markets. Your crisp sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I'm sure you have many other perks living in Florida :)

      Delete
  11. Oh dear I dont had idea Barbara passed time ago. What sad news. I have many recipes of her too.
    Especially a banana pudding from her.
    This recipe looks amazing !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very sad :( I miss her. Thank you, Dear. I know it's probably too hot in Chile to grow rhubarb but you have many other fruits that would work just fine.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Susan yes we have bleberries and raspberries especially in summer, I will miss Barbara. Loved her recipes !!

      Delete
  12. Susan, it is SO nice to receive a blog post from you finally after a year or so of not receiving one. I always hoped that you were doing well despite not receiving anything or from you on my blog too. Very grateful! My entire family is rhubarb-crazy! The season is over for us this year, but there's always that which I froze! It makes the most wonderful crisps, pies, and more! Since this is from Mark Bittman, it must have passed many tests! Thank you again for sharing and I hope to read more posts from your blog in the future.
    Be well and be happy,
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Roz! You are so sweet! Gosh, I haven't been gone a whole year so wonder why you haven't received any of my posts? I did change to Mail Chimp recently since Google is retiring Feedburner email alerts for subscribers so perhaps that made a difference. Sadly, I've tried on several occasions to visit your site but I keep getting a malware alert and my browser won't let me continue. I'm so sorry. :(

      Delete
  13. How wonderful, Susan! That buttery crumble topping is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THANK YOU! THAT WAS MY FAVORITE PART!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!