Friday, May 11, 2018

Chocolate Sour Cream Coffee Cake for Mom (or You)



Here's a perfect treat to bring to Mom on Mother's Day.  Easy to make and so delicious!  Chocolate Sour Cream Coffee Cake.


Better yet, bring a pot of coffee and some flowers and share it her :)  She would love that.


My husband's grandmother made the best Sour Cream Coffee Cake.  When she made it, she would always make enough for the church bake sale plus send small aluminum tins of it home with any family member who visited her.  I think this one may have just bested Grammie's.


There's a good chance you have everything you need to make this already in your pantry and frig.

Wishing all of my lovely friends a Happy Mother's Day!


Chocolate Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Printable Recipe

Serves 8 to 12 using a 9-inch square baking pan

Topping:

1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I coarsely chopped them)
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted and cooled

In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, cocoa, cinnamon, chocolate chips, pecans and butter. Set aside.

Cake:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup plus 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups (6.4 ounces) flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Prepared topping

Heat the oven to 350 degrees.

With a mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each one until incorporated.  Slowly mix in the sour cream and vanilla until smooth.

Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.

Fold the dry ingredients slowly into the butter and egg mixture to form a lumpy batter.  Continue folding until no large lumps remain.

Spoon one-half of the batter into a greased 9-inch-square baking pan, then layer with half of the topping. Layer with the remaining batter, then the remaining topping.

Bake until the coffee cake is puffed and golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35-45 minutes (depending on your oven).  Cool slightly before serving.

Adapted from the LA Times and Heirloom Bakery

34 comments:

  1. I bake a cake very similar to this! So good and so simple and I always wonder why I don't make it more often! What a perfect thing to make for me on Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Abbe! I hadn't made a coffee cake in ages either. This one just appealed to me with the pecans and chocolate...two of my faves!

      Delete
  2. This looks stunning dear Susan ! I love it! Have a nice and lovely mom's day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria! Wishing you fond memories of your mother :)

      Delete
  3. Your coffee cakes sounds great Susan! I'm sitting here with a strong cuppa, wish I had a slice. Love your flower pics too! Enjoy spring and Happy Mother's Day Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! We've been having another cold snap here but things are looking better for Mother's Day, thankfully :) Happy Mother's Day to you also!

      Delete
  4. This looks amazing, I think any grandmother, mother, daughter would agree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One size fits all :) Thank you, Chris, and Happy Mother's Day to you!

      Delete
  5. It's one of our faves too..I'll have to compare our recipes..through the years as a realtor..when we had caravans for the agents..a good sour cream coffee cake was often served..Love your collage w/ the sweet birrdie..and your tea set:)Happy tomorrow:) Mother's day:)♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a treat that does travel well :) You must have had a fun group of realtors to work with, Monique! We may finally see the sun tomorrow. So rainy and gloomy here. Hope you have a beautiful Mother's Day weekend ♥

      Delete
  6. That looks so good with that buttery nutty topping and super tender crumb, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. Happy Mother's day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks delicious, I love sour cream ! A warm hug from rainy/sunny/rainy Trieste, crazy spring !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Chiara, we are having the same crazy weather! So cold and then extreme warm, tons of rain and flooding here also. Thank you, Dear!

      Delete
  9. I am sure sour cream just like yogurt made this cake very fluffy and tasty! It looks absolutely irresistible Susan and happy belated Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crumb on this one was moist and delicious, Katerina! Thank you very much and if you celebrate Mother's Day in Greece at the same time, I hope you had a wonderful one also :)

      Delete
  10. Your coffee cake looks almost to beautiful to eat, Susan, and your dishes are such a pretty pattern. I like that this is a smaller size for me to make and enjoy, and perfect for gifting. I hope you had a wonderful Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitty. I forgot to mention in my post that the dishes belonged to my late MIL. She loved dishes and coffee and tea serving sets too and enjoyed entertaining the ladies of her bridge club :)

      Delete
  11. hope your mothers day was great lovely cake as always and that blue bird is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca! The blue bird must have been migrating as we rarely see them here. Lucky I had my camera handy :)

      Delete
  12. A perfect way to start any morning...great with a cup of tea in the afternoon as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Susan! I love a good coffeecake and yours looks and sounds delicious! Like the twist of cocoa in the topping! I am printing it and saving it for after I lose a few pounds. :-) Thanks for the recipe and I hope you had a terrific Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I hope you love it as much as we did, Pam! Hope your Mother's Day was great!

      Delete
  14. Oh wow. That looks like the ultimate coffee cake - I can’t wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I loved the nuts and chocolate in this one :)

      Delete
  15. I bet this is a fantastic cake Susan - love all the chocolate cinnamon and nut combination :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love a piece of cake like this any time of the day, it looks so delicious .

    ReplyDelete
  17. A perfect coffee cake. I can always count on you to have the best recipes. Thanks Susan. Hope the weather is close to summerlike.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can tell by looking at it that it is moist! I would probably be tempted to have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hopefully my mom will be nice enough to share, this looks amazing :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. You lucky lucky thing! Sounds like such a fun experience. I'd love a posh ice cream maker but I do have a little Kenwood one where you freeze the bowl - obviously it's not as convenient but it does work very well and it makes some gorgeous ice cream. You'll never want to go back to the shop bought stuff! Italian affogato

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!