Monday, April 11, 2022

Chicken Meatballs with Parmigiano Reggiano


I'm still here!  We took our first group vacation since 2020 with good friends and, since then, it's been a mixture of various commitments, a little procrastination and lack of inspiration.  However, after enjoying a delicious appetizer of chicken meatballs served in a wonderful savory sauce at a local restaurant we enjoy, I was determined to try and replicate the recipe at home.  Inspiration found! 


I adapted this recipe slightly from one I found on Skinny Taste.  It's basically a riff on Chicken Romano and Chicken Piccata and it's wonderful!  I wanted to use chicken thigh meat but couldn't find any already ground. So, I used my Kitchen Aid meat grinder attachment and ground my own.  Any ground chicken will do, so don't feel you have to grind your own or ask your meat department to grind it for you. 😉


The meatballs have all the standard meatball ingredients of bread crumbs and egg, along with Parmigiano Reggiano, herbs, seasonings and garlic.  I have a large container of Parmiginao Reggiano from Costco which makes putting these together easy. 

After browning the meatballs in batches (don't crowd them), they are set aside while you make the sauce, which is a delicious combination of shallots, garlic, chicken broth, white wine and lemon. It's amazing! Feel free to add capers if you like them. 


This recipe is light, delicious and perfect for spring (which has been slow to arrive this year!)  Serve with rice, pasta, a salad or simple vegetable and enjoy!


Tip: When you harvest your herbs this season, be sure to freeze plenty.  I used frozen chopped parsley from my freezer for this recipe and all my frozen herbs throughout the winter. I harvest parsley (both Italian and curly), oregano, chives, thyme (I freeze the whole stems), and rosemary. Use your salad spinner to clean, then either chop them or put whole into freezer bags.   You'll be glad you did next winter!  


Chicken Meatballs with Parmigiano Reggiano


Meatballs
1 pound ground chicken (chicken thighs preferred)
1 large egg, stirred with a fork gently
½ cup bread crumbs
⅓ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried basil
½ teaspoon fresh or dried oregano
½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 large cloves of garlic, minced
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon pepper

Sauce
1 small shallot, diced (about 1 tablespoon
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine, like chardonnay
2 cups chicken broth
1 lemon, preferably organic, sliced
1 tablespoon capers, chopped (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken with the egg, bread crumbs, cheese, parsley, dried basil, oregano, pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper. Mix until just combined - don't overmix. Shape the mixture into golf ball sized meatballs and return to the bowl.  Refrigerate for 1 hour. 
 
Heat an oven-safe skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the meatballs in a single layer without crowding, browning on all sides, cooking about 5 to 6 minutes in total. You can do this in batches if you have a small skillet.  Just brown them and remove - they will finish cooking in the oven.  Transfer all browned meatballs to a large plate. 

In the same skillet over medium heat, add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the white wine, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.  Add the chicken stock and lemons and simmer gently for about 5-10 minutes until slightly reduced.  Add the meatballs to the sauce in the pan.  

Bake for 15 minutes, or until the meatballs cooked through.  Serve with pasta, rice or a vegetable.

26 comments:

  1. Mmmmm this meal sounds heavenly, Susan, and thanks for the tip of freezing the herbs to use for winter. I have thyme, rosemary and basil growing right now. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved it! You are so lucky to have herbs growing already! Thank you, Kitty, and a very Happy Easter to you!

      Delete
  2. One of the most delightful things..is going to a resto and liking something so much you want to recreate it..You dream about the taste.Looks like you are spot on! Love the pics..the colors..and we may be twins in the yellow pan and lid:)
    I need dill for Sunday and unfortunately ..I'll have to wait for my own fresh dill..Don't forget:) and I like to plant it twice..and it lasts so much longer that nursery dill..Bon appétit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I felt! I love that pan for browning. Stove top to oven and it's perfect. Do I plant the dill in the ground or should I start some indoors? I can't wait! Ev

      Delete
    2. Outdoors..it grows quickly..sprouts quickly! My grocer had just gotten fresh in this AM will practice that app tonight..as a meal lol.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! And so perfect for spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mimi! I try to only post recipes that were winners and this was a winner!

      Delete
  4. They look so juicy and tender! I love that you used the real Parmesan for these meatballs. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! The Parm was perfect in these :) We loved them!

      Delete
  5. Sounds wonderful! I'd love to have it with angel hair pasta:@) Happy Easter Susan, have fun with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea, Lynn! Happy Easter to you! We will have fun hiding eggs for the boys :)

      Delete
  6. This recipe looks and sounds delicious! Now, we're inspired to make them too! Thanks for the recipe and for the inspiration! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me so happy when I can inspire you with all the wonderful recipes you make! ♥

      Delete
  7. I would guess at least 40% of the meat we cook is chicken but we have never made chicken meatballs, probably because we just love the beef one. But with all of the flavors you've got in the meat and a lemony sauce, I believe these are a must try as an entree vs the usual meatball side for pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was love at first bite for us! The sauce really makes them special, Larry. Thank you!

      Delete
  8. Right up my alley Susan! Have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Deb! You have a Happy Easter also. I'm sure your Littles will have a blast! ♥

      Delete
  9. Deare Looks delicious and make me feel hungry!!
    Happy Easter to you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria! I hope you are having a wonderful Easter, my Dear! Hugs ♥

      Delete
  10. This looks delicious! No doubt finding chicken thighs already ground would be difficult. I can see why you would use thigh meat, a little more fat, a lot more flavor. Love it!!
    Best,
    Velva
    P.S. harvesting your herbs and freezing is always an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Velva! Looking forward to getting my herbs planted this weekend!

      Delete
  11. Your chicken meatballs look delicious and have reminded me that I haven't made any in a while. I'll definitely try your recipe as it is a little different than my own. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! We really love them. I've added capers as an option as that's the way they serve them at the restaurant where we enjoy them as an appetizer.

      Delete
  12. Looks amazing! A proper dinner.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how I missed this recipe, but I'm so jazzed that I stopped by and found it. What a delicious twist on meatballs, Susan!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!