Thursday, February 16, 2023

Lemon Love Bundt Cake


First I'm going to tempt you with lemon in this luscious lemon bundt cake before I explain about the lemons of blogging.  Please see below for my update. 💛😡

I've had this lemon bundt cake recipe for over 10 years and it's still a favorite!  Originally found on a blogging friend's website.  She no longer posts but her recipes are still online here.  She found the recipe through Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook.  I renamed it because it's not a true pound cake since it only uses 2 sticks of butter and not 4, but the 1 cup of sour cream kind of makes up for that! It is moist and so delicious. 

I used a light lemon glaze over the top.  This cake is wonderful on it's one but even better with some berries on the side and maybe a dollop of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!  

👀 Now, I'd like to talk about the trials and tribulations of blogging.  Recently, I received an email from Mail Chimp (which I switched to after Blogger/Google stopped offering free email campaigns with the Blogger platform).  The free version of Mail Chimp suited my purposes just fine, given my 1200 or so followers.  Now, starting March 10, Mail Chimp will no longer send out free email posts if you have more than 500 subscribers.  I can try to delete followers who don't usually engage with nor look at my posts but it's going to be difficult to delete that many to get down to and remain at 500.  I'm sad and upset that they made such a drastic change in their policy in such a short period of time after choosing them for my blog. 

As of today, I'm going to delete the Subscribe By Email widget here which sent you to Mail Chimp.  I'm also returning the Feedly Subscription icon.  If you enjoy seeing my posts, please follow me using Feedly button after you read this.  By the way, you can get the Feedly App on your iPhone, Android, or tablet. I just installed it on my phone and it's great!  You can not only follow blogs with Feedly but other news sources as well. 

I sincerely appreciate all my followers and am very sorry for the inconvenience!

Susan

Lemon Love Cake


Ingredients:

2¾ cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
¾ teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2½ cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
5 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
½ cup fresh lemon juice, from about 4 lemons

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare a 10-inch Bundt pan with lots of pan spray and sprinkle it with granulated sugar.  (Flour will leave an unattractive residue on the cake.)

To make the cake:

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until they are light and fluffy. Add vanilla and lemon zest, mix them together.

Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  

Mix sour cream and lemon juice together. Add flour and sour cream mixture alternately, finishing with the flour.

Spoon batter into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until a cake tester or toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center.  

Place a wire cooling rack over the top of the bundt pan and carefully flip bundt pan and rack over using oven mitts.  Allow cake to cool about 5-10 minutes before lifting the pan off of the cake.  Cool completely.

To make the glaze dizzle:

1-2/3 cups fonctioners' sugar, sifted.
Pinch of Salt
2-4 tablespons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Mix the sugar and salt, then add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and stir, add more lemon juice as needed to create a thin glaze that can be poured artfully over the cool cake.  Add sprinkles, if desired.  

11 comments:

Angie's Recipes said...

Such a beautiful and tempting cake! Love the simple glazing and green sugar sprinkle..I need to get myself that bundt form :-))

La Table De Nana said...

I have made a couple of her recipes and they were really good .I will add this one to my arsenal of lemony desserts:) Your pics are so appetizing no one can resist.
Oh Blogging..you know my thoughts:(Your post came by email..just got it..Im off to Feedly:) xo

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Thank you, Monique! It's too bad Pam doesn't blog any longer but I get it! I love her recipe for sour cream corn bread, oh my! I'm going to try to get at least one more email through them before they cut me off so I can alert as many people as possible. ♥

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

The cake looks so pretty, Susan, and sounds wonderful. I did not know that about mail chimp. It’s such a problem, isn’t it?
I hope you have a great weekend. ❤️

Lea Ann said...

I believe you've just solved my dilemma about what to serve when I host book club in a few weeks. I'm hoping it will be high altitude friendly. I've been looking for something "lemony" And about mailchimp ... they have to pay for all of that television advertising they're doing. :( I use them and since they were purchased by another company, my rates have increased twice.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Thank you, Kitty! I do love lemon! My sourdough starter from you is still alive and well. ♥ Yes, it's frustrating when companies change their policies so quickly after so many people switched to them after Blogger stopped ending their free emails to subscribers.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

It would be great for book club! Fingers crossed on the high altitude baking for you. I did not know that Mail Chimp was purchased by another company. That, and the advertising make sense now. I just don't blog as often as I used to so, for me, it doesn't make sense to pay for emails. Thanks, Lea Ann!!

Lea Ann said...

And btw, I've signed up to follow you on Feedly. Very easy to set up.

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Thank you!

2 sisters recipes said...

Aw, love this lemon bundt cake- for sure! Can't wait to try it, thanks Susan!

Velva-Evening With A Sandwich said...

This is a wonderful Lemon Bundt cake-wow. Perfect for so many occasions. Love this Susan.
BTW, technology is a love-hate relationship for sure. I finally completely revamped my blog from Tomatoes on the Vine to Evening With A Sandwich, and went over to Wordpress. I have always enjoyed your blog, and will continue to enjoy it in the future.