Friday, December 23, 2022

Christmas Traditions, New and Old


Hello friends!  I know I've been MIA here lately and have neglected my blog.  I haven't been gone, as you know if any of you follow me on Instagram, @savoringtime.  

I wanted to pop in before Christmas to share two of my Christmas traditions...one new that will definitely be repeated in Christmas to come, and the other, an oldie but goodie that I've been making for a VERY long time.  

First, this riff on the Christmas cheese ball.  A Cheesy Christmas Tree!  If you need a very quick and easy appetizer to bring to a party this weekend, this is it!  This is not my invention, but one I discovered on Instagram.  This started out as an idea made from a traditional home-made cheese ball to become a very quick and easy one made from a package of Boursin cheese.  You don't have to make a thing!  Simple assembly.  I've included the directions below.  



Boursin Cheese Christmas Tree Appetizer

Purchase a package of Boursin cheese. I used Garlic and Herb. Or, use 3 to make a mini tree forest :)

Buy some fresh parsley, a yellow bell pepper, sliced almonds or any other edible decor you'd like such as pomegranite arils.

Rinse, dry and chop parlsey finely. Lay out on paper toweling dry thoroughly.

Toast sliced almonds in a 350 oven for about 6 minutes until lightly browned. Cool.

Unwrap the cheese but keep the base on the bottom.

Place the cheese on a large sheet of plastic wrap and bring it upward. 

Shape cheese into a pyramid/tree by pressing or rolling gently along the sides to bring cheese upward.
Twist top of plastic wrap and freeze cheese for about 10-15 minutes.

Remove cheese from freezer and upwrap. Roll in chopped parsley all around and press to adhere.

Stick in toasted almonds all around and top with a star made from the yellow pepper.

Serve with crackers and slices of yellow pepper or other veggies.  

Done!  A cute and festive addition to a cheese or charcuterie platter.  




The Oldie but Goodie tradition in my family are these Candy Cane Cookies.  I've been making for more years than I can remember and are from an old Betty Crocker cookbook where I've found many gems! Betty Crocker's All Time Favorites.  We have already had one family Christmas celebration and this was my cookie platter.  

The recipe for the Candy Cane cookies can be found here:  Candy Cane Cookies

The recipe for my Sugar Cut Out cookies can be found here:  Celebration Christmas Cookies
(sometimes I'll roll the dough into logs and drizzle with melted chocolate). 

The recipe for my (mild) Gingerbread Cookies can be found here:  Gingerbread Cookies, My Way

May those of you who celebrate all have a safe and blessed Christmas and Best Wishes for a Happy New Year! 

Fondly, Susan


Savoring Time in the Kitchen is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. If you purchase a product by following a link that we provide, the price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you do make a purchase through one of these links, we earn a very small commission for providing that link. Thank you for your support of Savoring Time in the Kitchen!

20 comments:

  1. It’s moi..Monique..So many shames here lol.So glad I tried your lovely cookies!
    And the tree..another keeper..
    No power here …grrr so glad to have prepped a lot before.💫🎄👌🏻🙏Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Dear regarding the power. I've read how awful the weather is in the Northeast. For us, it was too dangerous to leave the house yesterday. Today, still very cold but not as bitter as yesterday. I hope the power stays on for your festivities. So many people without power or unable to get to their families this year. Also, many suffering with Covid! I am counting my lucky stars! ♥♥

      Delete
    2. 30 hrs:( the 23rd at 3 pm until the eve into the night..So all of the 24th..no heat no tv no net.. everything was down.Our generator supplies our fireplace(not enough to heat house). but with all down..it was a cold and quiet 24th.. the night at C's was lovely:)

      Delete
    3. Yikes! I can't imagine no heat, how did you stay warm!? Such an awful storm. Poor Lindsay and family were supposed to fly to FL early this morning and spend the week but their flight was cancelled. Either due to lack of flight crew or not enough planes. Probably due to the storm in the Northeast. They can't find another flight for a family of 5 :( I saw some wonderful photos on IG from C's. ♥ We had a great time with L & W last night too. ♥♥

      Delete
  2. So good to see you update the blog, Susan. I love the practical and cute mug..should get one for my husband too. The cheesy X'mas tree is such a genius idea and absolutely perfect for holiday lunch buffet. I wish you and yours a safe and wonderful holiday season, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! You are so thoughtful and considerate. I wish you a warm and and festive holiday season also! I've read that it's also cold in Europe!

      Delete
  3. Always good to hear from you Susan. Have a very Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Larry, for stopping in to say hello. Merry Christmas to you and your dear family!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful as well as looking delicious! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much! Merry Christmas to you and yours also, Anonymous! :-)

      Delete
  5. Love the Boursin Christmas tree, quick and easy to put together. Have a wonderful Christmas and a healthy and happy New Year. Karen (Back Road Journal)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, Karen! Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and Happy 2023!

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas Susan! I've only recently started using Boursin/Alouette cheese and have to say, it quickly became a favorite, love your tree:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Hope you're staying warm :)

      Delete
  7. Certainly would be wonderful. My problem? I make fun and yummy things, then forget to set them out. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Hope that your Christmas was wonderful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan! I found your emailed post but it went to my spam mail! I’m glad I checked! The Christmas tree cheese ball is so cute and easy. I remember your candy cane cookies and need to try them. Your cookie platter is beautiful. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kitty! We had a wonderful Christmas. I love making those candy cane cookies! They are everyone's favorite. The little tree is fun to make too and so quick and easy! Happy New Year, Kitty! ♥

      Delete
  9. That plate of cookies! Wow. Hope you are enjoying the holiday season and looking forward to the new year.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!