Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Perfect Stamped or Rolling Pin Cookies


I do not excel at cookie decorating.  It's time consuming and, normally, I'm not a fan of icing on cookies anyway.  Cookie stamps or rollers are the perfect alternative to having a 'cute' cookie but one that doesn't takes a lot of time to decorate! The problem with stamped or pressed cookies is often the design isn't clear because the cookies either spread out or rise too much and the cookie design disappears. 

This past month, I received a special surprise from my very long-time and dear friend, Monique of La Table de Nana.  It was a beautiful, wooden rolling pin engraving with the name of my blog.  You can visit Monique's post here to find out more about the artist and the lovely variety of engraved rolling pins.  They are the perfect gift for a friend or family member who enjoys baking!



Monique and I have been cyber friends for many years going WAY back to the GardenWeb forum (2002?) that is now owned by Houzz and then, at Gardenbuddies.  Over the years, we discovered that we share many of the same interests, which not only included gardening, but also art, painting, cooking and baking.  We have also found similarities in our lives...husbands whose first names start with 'J' who both enjoyed golf.  We both have two daughters and we both have three grandsons from one of our daughters, whom we adore.  

Monique suggested a recipe to use and very good instructions, however, I failed at my first attempt and asked for a little more help. Monique went above and beyond the call of duty and sent a sample of her dough for consistency and a cookie from Canada just so I could see how it should look and feel! Isn't she amazing?


With her help,  I was able to create the perfect stamped cookies! We won't mention the batch I burned because I forgot to set my timer :(


These cookies are so delicious and the perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea or coffee or just a glass of milk!  A little almond flour, a hint of lemon...delicious! 



Savoring Time in the Kitchen is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. If you purchase a product by following a link that we provide, the price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you do make a purchase through one of these links, we earn a very small commission for providing that link. Thank you for your support of Savoring Time in the Kitchen!

Perfect Stamped or Rolling Pin Cookies

Printable Recipe

Adapted from: https://latabledenana.blogspot.com/2017/03/oh-goody.html and,
http://www.cavolettodibruxelles.it/2012/01/homemade-cookies

This is a halved recipe which makes about a dozen cookies, depending on size.
I recommend using a digital scale set to grams for the perfect consistency.

Butter - 80 grams (just shy of 6 tablespoons)
Brown Sugar, 60 grams (about 1/2 cup)
Flour, 125 grams, (a generous 3/4 cup)
Almond Flour, 50 grams (about 1/4 cup or so)
Lemon Zest from 1 organic lemon
Pinch of salt

Place the brown sugar and butter in the bowl of a a food processor and give it a few pulses until combined. Add the flour, almond flour, lemon zest and pinch of salt and pulse until the dough begins to 'come together'.

Pour out the dough onto a work surface and knead until the dough feels like Play Doh. Wet your hands slightly, if necessary to bring the dough to this consistency.

Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Then, place dough on a lightly floured work surface, cover with the plastic wrap and roll into a rectangle.

Dust the surface of the dough with sufficient flour to cover. Spread over the dough with your hands.

Press or roll dough with cookie stamps or engraved rolling pin. Cut out shapes with round cutters or use a knife and ruler to make rectangles.

Place on parchment or silicone-lined baking sheet and refrigerate again for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F.

Bake for about 12-18 minutes, depending on your oven. Check early and then often toward the end of baking time.  Remove when golden around the edges.

Cool and store for several days if you don't eat them all immediately.

47 comments:

  1. A shortbread is always so tasty. I think your cookies look amazing and the rolling pin a delight. How perfect for you! What a food friend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I love this idea of your own monogrammed rolling. I can't wait to visit her site. It's so nice to have a friend like that. She sounds like a real gem. Great friends are hard to find. She sounds like a sweetheart and one worth cherishing. Now to see those rolling pins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, you would love one of these rolling pins! Wait until you see all of the varieties. There are at least two others I would love to have ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Shortbread is always a favrourite and I love your rolling pin...unique and beautiful, just like those cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a piggy rolling pin too:@) Your cookies turned out great Susan and I love the addition of the almond flour-very tasty. Happy Spring, enjoy the blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a thoughtful and beautiful gift! I saw the rolling pins on Monique's beautiful blog and was thinking what a great gift it would be ... and it is! Your cookies look fantastic. I love your posts and your beautiful recipes - and these cookies are perfect. What a wonderful friend indeed. Have a terrific weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Tricia. I have met so many wonderful people over the years through blogging and gardening, including you :)

      Delete
  6. You're adorable..

    well ...you've mastered them plus:)

    They are good aren't they? Your pics are so sharp and clear and beautiful..I did mention to you that I have that wicker small valise to the right?

    I had ordered cards from Victoria Magazine in the 80's..they came in that:)

    You have been a wonderful friend to me.
    I can't get over your blooms!!
    Beautiful..and so it begins..this technicolor time of ours..(mine will come later..;0)..
    They are even better the next day the cookies.do you find?

    KUDOS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you ♥ I really do love my rolling pin! I saw many others at Goody Woody that I would love to add to my collection of 1 :) I've been enjoying the cookies for several days now and they are still delicious. Daffodils and scilla soon ♥ A beautiful weekend forecast for us.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful cookies! The rolling pin stamp is a fabulous way to bring decorative cookies to a new level.

    Velva-Tomatoes on the Vine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous cookies Susan, adorable rolling pin. what a wonderful friend you have, love Monique's style and blog, she is so artistic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow ~ I love this! I've wanted to make stamped cookies for the holidays, but never got around to it, and figured it would be impossible to find the right dough...I can't wait to give this a try, right after I find a great stamp! Monique is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are delicious so I hope you find a stamp you love, Sue, and yes, she is the best :)

      Delete
  10. Stunning! So excited about these! Have already written the gal and want to order so many! Love them! I am sure they were not easy to cut into individual cookies, though. That can be a consistent issue with the long rectangular cookies that are so pretty. LOVE YOURS! If you have any tips for me when I get mine made, would appreciate hearing from you. Cannot believe I haven't connected with Monique for so long, either... popped her a note already.
    Hugs,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Valerie! Doesn't she have so many pretty styles of pins? Honestly, all I did was use the center pattern on the pin and then cut them with a very long knife using the pattern as my guide. For a different style design a ruler might be necessary. They cut well too :) Thank you!

      Delete
  11. Great cookies, Susan! The rolling pin stamp beats decorating for sure. This is a great thing to try, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. a lovely gift from a friend can change in positive your day, this rolling pin it's a perfect antistress and makes biscuits so original !Have a nice weekend dear Susan, warm hugs from Italy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very true, Chiara :) Thank you very much and I hope you have a beautiful weekend also. ♥

      Delete
  13. Oh Susan, what a great and unique gift you got here...and the cookies just look so pretty and delicate...I love it!
    I hope you are having a fantastic week :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your spring blooms :-) What an adorable rolling pin and the cookies turned out great. Very kind of Monique to come to your rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Monique's blog is wonderful and I see that not only were you gifted the rolling pin but also looks like you got one of her pretty hand painted cards. You did a great job with the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  16. omg how adorable is that rolling pin stamp... I want one. The cookies looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wha beauty and lovely cookies Susan!
    And your roll pin is adorable!
    Anmd of course I love Monique's blog too !!
    Happy Easter and blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria :) We get so many good ideas for each other ♥ Happy Easter!

      Delete
  18. Sue, boy are you SO lucky! How lovely of her to send you a beautiful and thoughtful gift like that! so jealous! only kidding - lol... LOVE your cookies and your spring flowers are so beautiful! You always inspire me to take photos of ours here in Charleston! Have a great week and Happy Easter!! xo Anna and LIz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am, indeed! Thank you :) I would love seeing more photos of Charleston. Such a beautiful city! xo

      Delete
  19. I already have the recipe saved from Monique's post but never got around to trying it. Now I have to. And yes, she is generous and lovely.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. This recipe sounds delicious and those cookies are soooooo cute, Susan! I think that rolling pin is super cool!! I'm gonna have to look into one of those for the holidays this year... :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a thoughtful gift for a friend...cookies look yummy, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  22. these are so lovely what a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This rolling pin is such a wonderful idea and gives cookies a very special touch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your rolling pin...unique and excellent, very much like those cookie stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am questioning your flour gram measurement. You have 1/2 cup flour at 125 gram weight. My normal 1 cup flour is 125 grams. Are you weighing the flour at 125 granms? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, you are absolutely correct. I just got out my digital scale and measured 125 grams of King Arthur AP Flour and it was halfway between 3/4 and 1 cup. My apologies and I have corrected that in the recipe. Thanks so much for pointing that out to me!

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!