Monday, March 20, 2017

Savory Herb Pull-Apart Bread


A perfect way to welcome spring would be to put this flavorful herb bread on your dinner table.  If you have any chives coming up now, this would also be a great way to use them.  I had frozen some garlic shoots from my first attempt at growing garlic last year so I used some in this recipe.  If growing garlic isn't your thing, you can now buy dried garlic shoots at Penzeys online (one of our local Milwaukee-area businesses)!

My garlic is already poking through the ground and I also see some chives coming up!  I'm so excited to see the rest of the garden come to life in the next few weeks, assuming any relatives of Winter Storm Stella stay away. 


I had to try this as soon as I saw it on Instagram recently. All you need is all-purpose flour, some instant or quick-rising yeast (although regular yeast will do), butter or olive oil and the dried or fresh herbs and spices of your choice!  It was actually fun to make and it looks so pretty when it's baked.  After the dough rises the first time, you have to roll it out and cut it into circles about 3-4 inches wide.  The butter/oil-herb mixture is then spread on the circles which are folded in half and placed into a loaf pan and then left to rise again.


My husband and I had to leave the house before I could finish the second rise and bake the bread, so I covered it with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator overnight.  The next morning, I took it out of the frig to finish rising.  The second rise took substantially longer as I was starting with cold dough (probably 2 hours or so) but it worked just fine.  So, don't worry if you don't have time to finish the whole process in one day.  Just cover greased plastic wrap and refrigerate after you have filled the pan with the dough 'circles'. 


Do you know how hard it was not to eat this bread while I was taking these photos?  I absolutely had to eat the first piece as soon as I was finished :)  It is delicious!  I served it with some freshly Grilled Rainbow Trout and peas but it would taste wonderful with almost anything. 



I used my bread machine for the kneading and first rise in this recipe.

Savory Pull-Apart Herb Bread

Printable Recipe
Makes 1 - 2 loafs (10-20 servings), depending on whether you make 1/2 or whole recipe
Half recipe is in parentheses.

Dough

1 (1/2) cup milk
1/4 (1/8) cup butter
3 (1-1/2) tablespoons sugar
2 (1) teaspoons salt
2 (1) large eggs
2 (1) teaspoon instant yeast (or active dry yeast)
4 (2) cups all purpose Flour
2 (1) tablespoons potato flour or 1/3 (3-1/2 tablespoons) cup instant potato flakes, optional, for increased moistness

Extra flour as needed *

Filling (Add whatever herbs and spices you like - quantities are adjustable as well)

8 tablespoons (4 tablespoons) butter, softened
1/2 (1/4) teaspoon salt
1 (1/2) teaspoon chopped garlic scapes or chopped chives
1 (1/2) clove garlic, minced
1/2 (1/4) teaspoon minced shallots (I used dried shallots)
1/4 (1/8) teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 (1/2) teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1 (1/2) teaspoon dried oregano, crushed

Combine the milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan and stir, over medium heat, until the butter melts. Allow to cool until lukewarm.

Place the lukewarm milk mixture into a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, yeast, flour and the potato flour. Mix together until a shaggy dough is formed. Knead the dough with your hands or a stand mixer until smooth. You may use a bread machine set on the dough cycle also, which is what I used. The dough should form a somewhat sticky ball. *(During warm or humid climate, you may need to add an extra 1/8 to 1/4 flour to the dough.)

Place the dough in a greased container, cover, and let it rise for about 90 minutes, until it's puffy though not necessarily doubled in bulk. (If you are using a bread machine dough cycle this will rise will occur in the machine).

While the dough is rising, mix together the filling ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

When the dough has risen, divide it in half (if using a whole recipe). Flatten dough on a lightly floured surface and roll or pat it into a circle about 12" wide and 1/4" thick. With a round cutter, cut 3-1/2" to 4" circles. Pat together remaining dough and use to cut or pat into circles also. You will have about 10-11 circles for one loaf.

Spread the herb filling on half of each circle, then fold the circle in half with filling inside. Place the folded side down in a lightly greased 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan and repeat with the remaining circles. Repeat with second ball of dough if making a whole recipe.

Cover the pan(s) with plastic wrap sprayed with nonstick spray on the side touching the dough. Let the dough rise for about 90 minutes until it has filled the pan about 3/4 full. Preheat the oven to 350°F about 20 minutes before the dough has finished rising.

Uncover and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown on top.

Remove the bread from the oven; brush it with additional melted butter, if desired. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then turn out of the pan and serve warm. Leftovers may be kept wrapped and refrigerated for several days or frozen for a month. Rewarm gently in the oven for 10 minutes.

Adapted from Butterflake Herb Loaf from King Arthur Flour

69 comments:

  1. Oooh I love this!! It sounds so flavorful and delicious, but is also so pretty, I wouldn't want to pull it apart :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, Sues! You will definitely want to pull it apart :) Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Printing printing:) We have the same Le Creuset pan:) Mine is blue:)
    Oh this looks good..thank goodness we are having home made pizza..the call of bread is loud right now♥
    So pretty Nana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Definitely a keeper for taste and good looks :) I made half the recipe. One loaf is plenty for two and then there was still some left over. Oh, pizza sounds good to me!

      Delete
    2. Did you use the potato flour/starch?:)

      Delete
  3. what a wonderful idea for an elegant breakfast !Have a nice week Susan, a warm hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chiara! It would be great for breakfast or brunch also. So many ways to flavor it too!

      Delete
  4. Drooling... My boys just started a keto diet??? While they're considering Sunday a bit of a cheat day, maybe I'll make this on Saturday for myself instead. You know, to support them:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure what that is but I'm guessing low carb regarding the bread ;) I think they'll like this and you can put your bread machine to use! Thanks, Lynn!

      Delete
  5. Hi Susan, my goodness this bread looks fabulous, a real showstopper. And I love how you served it with trout and peas you are a fabulous baker/cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a delicious combination! I can't wait to make it again and switch up the filling ingredients :) Thank you, Cheri!

      Delete
  6. What a pretty bread! That's lovely! (Don't know that I would have the patience, but I am glad that you did.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hands-on time really isn't too bad, Vee. I guess I love making bread :) Thanks!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful Susan, really looks absolutely wonderful !! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am almost afraid to make this for fear of eating the whole thing by myself, but I pinned it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha. Be sure to make the half recipe then :) Thanks, Madonna.

      Delete
  9. This looks droolworthy! I baked one with pesto long long time ago...miss the pull apart bread. Time to start a batch soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! Your pesto version sounds delicious. I love herb breads!

      Delete
  10. Looks delicious and what a clever way to get the goodies baked into the bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is clever! I wish I had thought of it ;) Thank, Larry!

      Delete
  11. Oh my. This is such a keeper Susan. You know that I will be making this bread. It is so pretty and I can just tell that it is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you making this when you entertain, Penny :) You will love it! Thank you.

      Delete
  12. Yum, looks absolutely amazing. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to stop. I'm sure the aroma is incredible too as it bakes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so delicious, Chris! Good for when you need a little comfort food. It's like a bread 'hug' :)

      Delete
  13. HI Sue! So funny I made a bread similar to this but haven't had a chance to post it yet. Been so busy trying to the things done before the season starts. Anyway, lovely recipe! thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bread looks marvelous, Susan and I can imagine how delicious it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Susan, this pull apart bread looks so pretty and so elegantly presented...I am loving the herbs in between them...thanks for this wonderful recipe!
    I hope you have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made me feel like spring making it too :) Thank you, Juliana!

      Delete
  16. How pretty! I can smell it from where I'm sitting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I printed out this recipe a couple of weeks ago and keep looking at it and hoping to find the time to make it. You did an amazing job - it looks phenomenal and your photos are fantastic. I bet it smelled amazing while in the oven! Thanks for the inspiration Susan - I'm thinking about a sweet version :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You will love it when to try it, Tricia! I thought of doing a sweet one also :) Maybe for Easter.

      Delete
  18. This bread just takes the game to a whole new level! I am totally drooling here Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've pinned this pretty bread, perfect when having company for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful bread! I have marked this recipe (and a few others at KAF!) to make for a few months now, and have not got round to any of it yet! Looking at yours, I'm wishing I can pull apart a piece right now! Looks so good! Perfectly baked! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) So many recipes, so little time! Thank you, Joyce!

      Delete
  21. Looks wonderful, and I bet it would be a big hit at our camp when we have a crowd! Wishing you a wonderful week :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Debbie ;) Soon you will be enjoying that special place!

      Delete
  22. I recently saw this on IG too but didn't make it. Now I'm sorry I didn't, but it's on my short list of things to try when I get back from vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It would be delicious with one of your pasta dishes, Linda! Have a great vacation :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the recipe. It looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is one perfect loaf, Susan! What a super combo of herbs you've added. Don't you love it when you have all the ingredients at hand to make something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara! That's the beauty of using dried herbs in this :) We loved it!

      Delete
  26. Another gorgeous loaf! I have to use up my flour, so this might be a great way to splurge!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow this looks so so good.
    My mouth is melting.

    Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  28. My cooking blog is in Spanish with google translator.
    Hope you liked.

    Olga.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The bread looks so soft and delicious! I can totally understand why you can't resist them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I want some and I want it now.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha :) You won't be disappointed if you try it, Amalia!

      Delete
  31. How did I miss this recipe, Susan?? Lucky for me, I saw it on your sidebar. It looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it, Kitty. We love this one and I have another tasty one coming up soon :)

      Delete
  32. WOW, I am looking forward to making your bread this week. It looks amazing! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun recipe! It's hard not to eat the whole thing though - LOL.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!