Friday, March 27, 2009

Classic Potato Gratin ~ Ode to a Tuber...Part Four


Whether you say gratin or scalloped, this classic potato dish is simply delicious and worth considering for your next holiday gathering. It is certain to please the potato-lovers in your family!

From Baking a Classic Potato Gratin
Printable Recipe
Recipe by Martha Holmberg

Try to get a good-quality Gruyère or Emmental, which will be moderately assertive yet mellow and nutty.

Serves six to eight.

2 lb. Yukon Gold or russet potatoes, peeled
3 cups whipping or heavy cream
1 tsp. coarse salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
Generous pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
3/4 cup finely shredded Gruyère, Emmental, or Comté

Heat the oven to 400°F. Using a very sharp knife or a mandoline, carefully cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch slices (no thicker).

Put the potatoes in a large heavy-based saucepan and add the cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and garlic. Cook the mixture over medium-high heat until the cream is boiling, stirring occasionally (very gently with a rubber spatula so you don't break up the slices). When the cream boils, pour the mixture into a 2-1/2- or 3-qt. baking dish. If you don't want a tender but garlicky surprise mouthful, remove and discard the garlic cloves. Shake the dish a bit to let the slices settle and then sprinkle the surface with the cheese.

Bake in the hot oven until the top is deep golden brown, the cream has thickened, and the potatoes are extremely tender when pierced with a knife, about 40 min. Don't worry if the dish looks too liquidy at this point; it will set up as it cools a bit. Before serving, let the potatoes cool until they're very warm but not hot (at least 15 min.) or serve them at room temperature.

If you'd like a little more information on gratins click here.

11 comments:

  1. Susan, I always enjoy reading your "Ode to a Tuber" series and this is no exception. The recipe does sound like true comfort food and I think the entire midwest will be wanting that for the next few days.

    Your crocus are so pretty ... I hope that you've had a chance to enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds wonderful - I think the difference will be the type of cheese used.
    The crocus are beautiful - we just had a little dusting this morning already gone..hopefully you will luck out too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I'm sniffling for you to think those beautiful crocuses will be covered in all that snow. All your photos are wonderful, but these feel like they really are in front of me.

    I really enjoy your ode to potato series as well. This recipe sounds oh so decadent and rich...looking forward to trying it for a special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry you are getting so much snow! Your "Ode to the Tuber" is wonderful; and the casserole looks so divine, I can smell it's aroma from here. I loved the side notes about cheeses and flavors.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Foodie Friday! Have a great weekend ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your post looks surprisingly like Spring!

    This is the earliest spring here in eons to my recollection.I am on my knees thanking God.May it be there next~:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those potatoes!
    We had Spring today..but rain tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your tuber series. I could live on them that's for sure. This dish looks rich and comforting. I wonder if I could get away with making it with half and half? I guess it's worth a try! Your crocus may still be okay..just hiding!! I hope you don't get as much a they say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, love your tubers! They look so good! Hope you are missed by the snow and you keep your blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your ode to a tuber, you always come up with something great!

    Pretty blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, I haven't met a tuber that I didn't like! Yours sound wonderful. I hope your pretty blooms aren't shivering for too long!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!