Friday, July 10, 2009

Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Cake Roll~



Here is a recipe I used for a recent gathering of our gourmet group that we hosted. The recipe is another that I found in the newspaper column of our local James Beard Award-winning chef, Sanford d'Amato.


First, a sponge cake is made in a jelly roll-sized pan. I used a half-sheet, rimmed baking pan.


After the sponge cake has cooled it is spread with softened ice cream (the sky is the limit here as far as flavors go), it is wrapped it in parchment paper of plastic wrap and put it in the freezer overnight. Pretty easy!



It doesn't look very pretty when first unwrapped...



...but after the end pieces are cut off it's beautiful. Next time I make it I will try to roll the cake a little tighter so I have a prettier spiral and also spread the ice cream a little thinner.



The recipe includes a chocolate sauce which was also wonderful. It has just a touch of maple syrup in it which you can't really taste but it gives a wonderful depth of flavor.

Even the raspberries tasted wonderful bathed in chocolate.

Chocolate Ice Cream Cake Roll

Printable Recipe

Chocolate sponge cake (see recipe)
1 quart good-quality ice cream
Chocolate glaze (see recipe)

Chocolate sponge cake:

4 large eggs, room temperature
1 large egg yolk
¼ cup sugar
Pinch of salt
1/3 cup cake flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 17½-by-11-inch jellyroll pan with parchment.

Using electric mixer, beat eggs, yolk, sugar and salt at medium speed until stiff peaks form; this will take 10 to 12 minutes. Gently sift in flour and cocoa, stirring just to combine. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan and bake in preheated oven until cake is springy to the touch and just begins to pull away from sides of pan, about 7 minutes. Immediately cut around edges to free cake and transfer cake and parchment to another baking pan or work surface to cool.

When sponge cake is cool, remove parchment and place cake on clean side of parchment. Slightly soften ice cream so it is spreadable but not melting and quickly spread an even ¼- to ½-inch-thick layer over flattened cake, leaving a 1-inch border on long end. Roll up, jellyroll style, toward uncovered border and quickly place in freezer. Just before serving, make chocolate glaze.

Chocolate glaze:

¾ cup heavy whipping cream
4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped 1 tablespoon maple syrup

In a small, heavy pot, bring cream to a boil. Pour over chocolate in a bowl and let sit 1 minute. Add syrup and stir from center with rubber spatula to emulsify. When just warm, pour evenly over top of frozen cake and immediately cut and serve slices.

To serve, cut into slices and drizzle with chocolate glaze and fresh fruit (optional)

42 comments:

  1. I think it looks wonderful! That's something I would definitely try..
    Thanks for the recipe, Susan..slide me a piece please!
    Go check S and S..I left you a message...

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty!! Besides looking delicious it makes a stunning presentation!
    It will be fun to experiment with different flavored ice cream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful. I just read you have a grandbaby due this fall. I
    must tell you it is an absolutely wonderful experience and you have a whole nother life ahead of you. Blessings to you all...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful it is! You are so right too pretty to cover up! Did you have a hard time eating something so pretty? Just love it!
    Thanks for stopping by, I hope the emotions you had, were wonderful memories for you and Hen! I loved she read the story to you even as an adult! I still sing I'm a Little Tea Pot! I pick one song, each grandchild has one different song. I sing their song over and over to each of my four grandchildren all under five years of age. Happy Memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dessert! I know I would love it! Thanks for coming to see me!
    bE a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! I'm back to say I've entered your name in my giveaway!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I want a really big slice! Great idea, Susan! It looks absolutely amazing with the raspberries and chocolate sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful dessert! I'd love to try this sometimes. I bet it would be good with gingerbread too. That last photo is just so pretty. All of them are, but that one makes me want to take a bite! Thanks Susan for making the time to join in on the Social. I know you are a very busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mum used to make these for pudding when we were little! I love ones with loads of icecream... I don't think I've grown up much! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! That looks so good. Yummy! I love ice cream ♥ Thanks so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, what a marvelous dessert! I had wanted to participate today, but something has come up that will occupy me all weekend. Have fun at the ice cream social. This is a lovely dessert you're taking!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! Love something that is pretty and tastes great too!


    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. My plans just changed for this morning, so here I am back! I'm going to copy your recipe because it sounds sooooooooo good!

    Thanks for sharing...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never thought of being able to make this type of cake roll at home. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I will be trying this one.

    It looks great. I can't wait to hear about your event at they Garden Party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love cake rolls, but I've never had one with ice cream. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks wonderful! Very pretty....I am ready to pull up a chair!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your cake is just beautiful. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had anything like this with ice cream. I'm going to make this!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Susan, I love the presentation of this dessert. My guys will just love this, so on my list it goes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks delicious and sounds easy to make. And, it is so pretty, too. I am going to make this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds yummy and it looks so pretty. It's just the perfect thing to serve for company. Thanks for giving us the printable link.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've always wanted to make one of these and you made it look so easy I think I'll give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Susan, beautiful cake roll... I think it looks marvelous. I love the plating.... red raspberries and the glaze with maple sauce sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The last photo of the "framed" photos tells what I thinking...this is the best...it's ART! What a beautiful presentation and I'm sure it tastes as beautiful as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my gosh...does this look fabulous! And so perfect for a summer dessert!

    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, this is awesome and what a great dessert. I haven't had this for ages and would usually buy this from the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your chocolate ice cream roll is perfect! I've never been happy with the recipe I have so can't wait to try your version of the cake. This is a favorite in my home and I'll make it more often now.

    Your watercolor header is so lovely. I admire it every time I visit. You are so talented, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's a dessert that is a feast for the eyes as well as a feast for the tongue.

    I think you did very well --

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you all for the comments! I appreciate all of your kind words :)

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think your ice cream cake roll looks pretty as it is..♥

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a beautiful presentation for such a delicious dessert! Really!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks so pretty and delicious! Also, the lighting in your photos is really great!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a gorgeously perfect cake roll you made!

    Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I want some please! I love chocoalte ice sandwich... I would love your recipe, I am sure!

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is beauiful! I'm definitely going to make this very very soon...Im going to come back later to enjoy ur blog once m done wihtt he cooking :)u have a beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, just stumbled upon yr blog. This is such a fantastic way in presenting cake and ice cream rolled as one. I really like this idea a lot. It's just great as a party dessert. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Susan, I just knew yours would be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I want to try this cake recipe. Do you have to use cake flour or can you use all purpose flour? Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you again for the many wonderful comments!

    Grami's Girls: From what I've read about AP flour, it has more gluten in it than cake flour and doesn't produce cakes that are as light. You can use 3/4 AP flour plus 2 T cornstarch as a substitute for 1 cup of cake flour. Here is a link that may be helpful (scroll down to Flours:

    http://www.joyofbaking.com/IngredientSubstitution.html

    I hope you try it and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your beautiful photos have captured my soul .. your roll cake too I follow my heart happy
    simmy from Italy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!