Thursday, June 15, 2017

Rhubarb-Strawberry Oat Squares


Here is another delicious rhubarb recipe for those of you lucky enough to obtain fresh or frozen rhubarb! It's still rhubarb season here and, if you haven't already noticed, I love rhubarb.

I adapted this recipe from several different oat bar recipes, using what I thought were the best parts of each. Mine has a delicious, crumbly oat crust and topping and is filled with a thickened rhubarb and strawberry compote.  Chopped almonds are added to the oat mixture to give the oats a delightful crunch.

The oat 'crust' and topping are so tasty and you could any filling you prefer such as blueberries, just strawberries, raspberries - or even a jar of preserves or canned pie filling. 


Best of course the day they are made, but I kept them in the refrigerator overnight and they were still delicious the second and even third day after allowing them to come to room temperature.


These squares would be perfect to bring to a picnic or summer pot luck buffet!  They can be eaten with your fingers so no need for a fork.


Can you believe it's officially summer next week? I can't believe the first two week of June are almost over.  Whoa!

Rhubarb-Strawberry Oat Bars


Makes 16
For Rhubarb-Strawberry Filling:

1-1/2 cups diced rhubarb (you may use frozen rhubarb in this recipe)
3/4 cup diced strawberries
3/4 brown sugar, packed
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
5 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon of water to make a slurry
For Oat Crust and Topping Mixture:
3/4 cup old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces (diced)
Tip: To finely 'chop' almonds, place them in a plastic zipper bag and crush them with a large, flat object such as a meat mallet. 

Line an 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.  Cut 2, 8 x 16 inch pieces of parchment paper and press to fit pan, leaving an overhang on both sides to use and handles for lifting (or you may use a non-stick spray). 
To make the Rhubarb-Strawberry Filling:
Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, brown sugar, water and lemon juice in a large saucepan.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium.  Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring, until rhubarb is tender. Add the cornstarch/water mixture to the rhubarb-strawberry mixture and cook while stirring for about 2 more minutes or until nicely thickened.  Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350F

Combine the oats, flour, sugars, chopped almonds, salt and baking soda in a large bowl and stir to combine.  Add the diced butter and mix into the oats mixture with your fingers until entire mixture is crumbly and well blended. 
Press half of the oat mixture into prepared pan.  Top with rhubarb-strawberry mixture.  Sprinkle the rest of the oat mixture over the top and press down lightly.
Bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.  Cool completely and remove from pan with parchment 'handles' and cut into squares (cut in half, then in half again on each side). Or ,cut squares in pan and remove individually. 
 

33 comments:

  1. Those flowers are so beautiful! I love baked goods with oats and the pairing with fruity berry rhubarb filling is just perfect, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Admired this first on IG, these look absolutely amazing Susan, love bars with oats and this strawberry rhubarb combo cannot be beat. Love, love your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so tasty! Loved the combination (and my peonies) :) Thank you, Cheri!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness Susan - those bars look wonderful and so does your garden. Peonies are my favorite - and I cannot grow them here in Virginia. Not sure if it's my wet yard - but anyway - miss them so. I don't think I'd have to worry about these bars lasting 3 days - silly girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia! 1 day, 2 days - the sooner you eat them the better :)

      Delete
  4. I will make them:)
    Beautiful and I love oat bar recipes..and have rhubarb:)

    Love your garden pics..and yes..WHOA..
    Stop..

    Right after FD I will make them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy them, Monique! I love being able to go outside and pick my own rhubarb ♥ Probably too soon for the boys to enjoy it ;)

      Delete
  5. Looks absolutely wnderful dear Susan, love them ! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria! Any filling would be just as delicious :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds delicious! I have plenty of rhubarb...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bars sound delish and those flowers are out of this world beautiful. Pinning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks lovely. Makes me want to make a cup of tea...
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love one of those bars with my morning coffee! I collect rhubarb recipes and have about 6 favorites so far. I am lucky enough to obtain fresh rhubarb at a self service stand on someone's front lawn :-) It's still rhubarb season here too, and we're picking strawberries on Father's Day to go along with the rhubarb. Have a perfect weekend Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had them for breakfast a couple of days. Figured the oats were a breakfast food :) We should have fresh strawberries here now too! Thank you, Debbie!

      Delete
  10. I wait all year for the rhubarb harvest! I love all things rhubarb so I know that these gorgeous squares will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to welcome another rhubarb lover! Hope you enjoy them, Kate, and thank you :)

      Delete
  11. I'm always looking for new rhubarb recipes, and this one, with the addition of almonds, looks great. I love those peonies too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I, Linda :) One of my favorite rhubarb cakes with almonds I got from you. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  12. What a stunning photos Susan, I wish to taste with you a slice of this cake in your lovely garden ! A warm hug from Trieste !

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful cake and what a beautiful garden! The best way to enjoy summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best, Katerina, and I love having a garden! Thank you! xo

      Delete
  14. I have re-fallen in love with rhubarb. Your bars sound delicious. Next season I am going to go crazy with rhubarb. You have such a beautiful garden Susan. Your photos are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband now as a new appreciation for rhubarb also, Penny, and I am going crazy with mine too :) Thanks so much!

      Delete
  15. I often see rhubarb stalks for sale here yet I have never bought them. This recipe makes me want to try them. Your peonies are so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meravigliosa ricetta!!!
    Looks absolutely wonderful,i love it!!
    Kiss
    Sabrina
    www.delizieeconfidenze.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm getting ready to make this yummy recipe and I don't see brown sugar in the filling recipe. I know the rhubarb needs a little sweetening and I hesitate to guess. Thanks for posting so many wonderful recipes, Susan. I often look through your posts and have tried many. Happy summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, you are so right! I double-checked the recipe and it calls for 3/4 cup packed brown sugar. I've corrected my mistake and thank you very much for bringing it my attention.

      Delete
  18. I've thought these bars looked amazing when I saw them posted on IG! Glad to finally get to your recipe! I agree about the tablet! nice for looking around, but I can't function well on them at all besides browsing. I still like traditional PCs over laptops too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!