Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Pumpkin, Date and Nut Bread


I know you've likely been inundated with pumpkin recipes at other blogs you visit, Instagram, Pinterest or your local newspaper ever since fall arrived, so I apologize...a little :)  Because, if you make one pumpkin bread this season, I'd really like you to try this one.  Not a fan of dates or can't eat nuts?  Just leave them out.  The bread is delicious on it's own.  


I first became aware of this recipe when Barbara, an Instagram friend of mine, shared it recently.  Since I love dates and nuts, and pumpkin of course, I was excited to make it.

The recipe was published in Maida Heatter's Cakes cookbook.  I adapted it slightly by using less cloves and adding a generous sprinkle of raw sugar on top of the unbaked loaves.  I also used my Wilton 4-cavity mini loaf pan.  The small loaf size is perfect for my husband and I can freeze the other loaves to enjoy later. 

Delicious with a cup of coffee in the morning or tea in the afternoon!  It's a keeper!


I have to share some photos of an exhibit we visited last weekend.  We are so fortunate to have China Lights, also known as the Asian Lantern Festival on display near us right now.  The gorgeous displays are handcrafted by Chinese artisans, some of which are 150 feet high.  This year, the theme is Chinese Treasures and Endangered and Extinct Animals. One of the exhibits was a replica of the Terra Cotta Warriors discovered buried in an emperor's tomb, and another spectacular exhibit is of a huge dragon and baby dragon. We were so happy we chose of the few nights it didn't rain last week! 




If you have the opportunity to visit this exhibit on display near you, do not hesitate.  It's beautiful!  

Then, have some pumpkin bread when you return home :)  

Pumpkin Date and Nut Bread


2-1/2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed  
1/2 cup avocado oil, or other healthy oil
1 can of your favorite brand of canned pumpkin (15 oz)
8 ounces (1 cup) pitted dates, cut up (see note)
4 ounces (1 cup) walnuts, broken or coarsely chopped

1-2 tablespoons of raw sugar for sprinkling on top of the loaves, optional

Notes.  I used a kitchen shears to first cut the dates in half lengthwise and then cut each half into 2-3 crosswise pieces. I used my Wilton 4-cavity mini loaf pan and had just the right amount of batter to fill the 4 cavities.  

Preheat oven to 350 and place rack to the lower third of the oven. Butter or spray a 10x5x3 inch loaf pan  and dust with fine bread crumbs. (I used Baker's Joy baking spray and did not use bread crumbs).  

Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves and set aside. 

In a large bowl, with a hand mixer set on low, beat the eggs just until combined.  Add the sugar, beating just to blend. Add the oil, beat just to blend. Mix in the pumpkin, then add the dates. Add the flour mixture and stir or beat only until it is blended, then stir in the nuts.  Pour the mixture into the prepared pan(s) and smooth the top.  Sprinkle with a little raw sugar over the top of each loaf.  

If you are using a large pan, bake for 70-80 minutes. If using smaller pans, baking time will be less, about 45-55 minutes. Start checking the loaves with a clean toothpick before the recommended time is over as all ovens are different.  The toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf should come out clean. Cool in the pan(s) for 15 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.

Cover and store at room temperature or refrigerator for several days or wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 2-3 months.  

Recipe adapted from Maida Heatter's Cakes cookbook.

Note: Savoring Time in the Kitchen is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. If you purchase a product by following a link that we provide, the price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you do make a purchase through one of these links, we earn a very small commission for providing that link. Thank you for your support of Savoring Time in the Kitchen!

34 comments:

  1. It sounds delicious. It is true that I have been reading a lot of pumpkin bread, muffin, scone, and even cookies recipes. I am going to break down and bake one day. Enjoy your autumn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! I was a nice way to start the season for me :)

      Delete
  2. This is a perfect pumpkin recipe that I am looking for! I love the tender smooth crumb and all the healthful elements in this beautiful quick bread, Susan.
    That dragon light looks really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angie. We really enjoyed it Angie and I am in love with dates :) The dragon sculpture was 150 feet high!

      Delete
  3. We love pumpkin bread and dates, so it seems to be a match made in heaven. The nuts, we have to pass on, but I might toss in some toasted pine nuts just for fun.
    I did enjoy your Asian Lantern Festival images as it reminded me of a similar exhibition I was lucky to see in Beijing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pine nuts sound like a great addition, Ron! I'll bet the exhibit you saw in Beijing was amazing.

      Delete
  4. Love those parade pics so much Susan!
    Bread looks delish..fan of dates and nuts too..afternoon tea will begin again soon;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique!! It was such a beautiful display...spread out along long paths throughout our local botanical garden and the night was magical with a half moon hanging in the sky ♥ I've already started afternoon tea :)

      Delete
  5. Oh...the Lantern Festival looks amazing Susan...thanks for sharing the pictures...
    And never it too much pumpkin recipes...your bread looks fantastic...and yes, I like the date and nuts in it.
    Have a lovely rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so lovely, Juliana! This bread has been one of my favorite things of fall so far :)

      Delete
  6. Love those photos of the Asian Lantern Festival! So lucky! Your bread looks and sounds delicious... yum! ... I LOVE dates and nuts so this bread has to be amazing! So funny Sue, I will be posting a bread tomorrow as well and no apologizes lol....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do feel very fortunate to have this festival visit our area every year and wish we would have started going sooner! Loved your chocolately pumpkin bread!

      Delete
  7. Good loaf of bread, it looks delicious, Susan! The festival sounds like a fun exhibit to see. I so wanted to see the Terra Cotta Warriors when they were in Chicago, but missed it, timing not right. Your pics all look great! And I love Maeda Heatter's cookbooks! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! That would have been wonderful to see the warriors in person, Pam!

      Delete
  8. Susan! what beautiful and delicious pumpkin bread!! and love dates! have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love every single element of this bread and a slice of this with tea for breakfast would make my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Susan! I will definitely make this bread because I LOVE dates, have some in my pantry and it sounds like the perfect Fall loaf. Thank you for sharing. Your pictures are so pretty! I have one Maeda Heatter cookbook and I'm going to see if this is in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just finished a piece that I had in the freezer and can tell you it freezes beautifully! Thank you, Kitty :)

      Delete
  11. I just checked and I have Maida Heatter’s Dessert cookbook and it’s not in there. I can’t wait to make this. I love spicy breads, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan, I love dates and nuts, and I bet they would be fabulous in this lovely pumpkin bread! The Lantern Festival looks so pretty. Hope it comes our way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love dates and nuts, then I know you'd love this pumpkin bread, Kelly! Fingers crossed you'll get to see the display one day. It's so pretty!

      Delete
  13. Love this combo with dates and nuts. And I love that light show. Wish it would come here! Great photos, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love the combination! Fingers crossed the light show will come to the Denver area one day. I'd a wonderful attraction!

      Delete
  14. This looks amazing, so many delicious things in one bite. I would love a slice with my morning tea. And I love the photos of the exhibition as well.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so perfect with coffee or tea, Amalia! Thanks so much ♥

      Delete
  15. I have to make this for my husband as he loves dried dates and figs and I think I'll add both to this recipe. I usually add nuts to sweet pumpkin bread but the dried fruit will make it even more delightful. The Chinese Lantern Festival looks amazing! There is a Chinese Dragon Boat Festival on a lake in Denver every summer, which is also exciting to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love this recipe, Pat! I've seen photos of the Chinese boat festival and it looks so beautiful too.

      Delete
  16. Pumpkin, dates, and nuts sound fabulous to me and thanks for reminding me about the Chinese Lantern festival. We have one going on near us in Miami and I had forgotten about it..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan, don't ever apologize for pumpkin recipes! :) We love pumpkin bread, and the chopped dates in your recipe is new twist for me. I'm on a low carb regimine for another week, but I will make this bread first when I'm done. It seriously look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a lovely idea of bread with pumpkin and dates... perfect fall recipe... visit my blog too: www.motionsandemotions.com

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!