Tuesday, November 21, 2017

The "Everything" Oatmeal Cookie


No doubt you've heard of the Everything Bagel.  I present you with the The Everything Oatmeal Cookie!  I follow a great baker (especially sourdough bread) on Instagram by the name of @dinocurr and recently, he posted a photo of his Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookies that looked wonderful to me. Inspired by his recipe, I added a whole kitchen sink full of extra goodies based on some web search and also what appealed to my taste buds.


If you have a Thanksgiving table full of young ones that don't like traditional Thanksgiving desserts or cranberries, here is a way to treat them to a dessert that they will love and also get a little bit of cranberry into their holiday that even they will enjoy! These cookies are almost like eating granola bars.  Not too sweet but totally delicious.


They are loaded with chocolate chips, coconut, Brickle Bits, walnuts, plumped dried cranberries and a touch of orange peel and cinnamon, with a sprinkle of flaky sea salt on top.


Add a tall glass of milk and you'll have some very happy kids...and adults too ;)  These will travel well if you are going out of town or across town for Thanksgiving.


The half pint glass that I used in my photo above is from my late mother's antique bottle collection that I cherish.  This particular jar is from a early 1900's dairy in my home town in SE Wisconsin.  Can you imagine these being delivered in horse drawn wagons? 

Over the river and through the woods ;) 

The Everything Oatmeal Cookie

Printable Recipe

3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 large or extra large egg (should equal at least 1/4 cup)
1 tablespoon water
1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cup rolled oats
½ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup Brickle Bits
1-1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel (I use Penzeys). Can substitute fresh orange zest
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 tsp Kirsch liqueur or rum (optional)
Flaky Sea Salt for Sprinkling over after baking

Rehydrate dried cranberries in a small bowl with enough cranberry juice (or water) to cover. Add Kirsch or rum, if using. Allow to ‘plump’ for about 30 minutes

Pulse rolled oats in a food processor for about 5 seconds. Place in a large bowl. If using extra large flakes of coconut, pulse coconut also for about 5 seconds. Place in same bowl with oats.
Add chocolate chips, chopped walnuts , chocolate chips, Brickle Bits, and orange peel to the same bowl.

Drain the rehydrated cranberries and squeeze excess moisture out with paper toweling and add to the bowl with the chocolate chips, etc.

In a stand mixer with paddle attaching or a mixing bowl by hand, cream shortening and sugars. Add egg, water and vanilla and mix together well.

In a separate small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Add to the creamed mixture gradually.

Add in all of the remaining ingredients to the mixing bowl and mix together gently.

Scoop out 1 tablespoon portions and place 3" apart on a parchment or silicone mat-lined baking sheet.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately sprinkle the cookies with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to a wire rack or waxed paper to cool completely.

28 comments:

  1. these cookies are perfect for a Christmas basket, thank you Susan, a warm hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those bottles Susan..and the cookies look fantastic.Have to Pin in case I forget.
    It's nice to put our mom's things to use..we loved them so..hope they are friends now:)♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a very hard time not eating them all myself :) Thank you, Monique! I love her bottles and have quite a few. I hope they are friends too ♥♥

      Delete
  3. Lovin' the neat sprinkling of salt on top! They sound great. Happy Thanksgiving Susan, have fun with the kids:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynn! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your boys ♥

      Delete
  4. I can resist good oatmeal cookies, esp. when they are loaded with all the good stuff. Have a wonderful holiday celebration, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww I love these cookies - they sound fantastic! And I love the vintage milk bottle too. It really wasn't that long ago, life was completely different. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have some in the freezer :) Even my husband likes them and he doesn't normally like a cookie with fruit in it!

      Delete
  6. Susan these cookies looks wonderful and delicious. xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a happy Thanksgiving dear Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw these cookies first on Instagram and thought they looked wonderful, love granola cookies with lots of goodies. Wishing you and your family a beautiful Thanksgiving Susan, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, these look amazing!! Santa will have some of these goodies waiting by our fireplace this year! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm...those cookies must be delicious! I really like the idea of using milk bottles for beverages. Wonder if I have enough for my party Saturday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these cookies and everything about them. I too include cookies for the little ones at holidays. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need another cookie recipe like a hole in the head, but this looks too good not to try. Beautiful photos too. Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  13. These cookies sound amazingly delicious! Love the antique bottles too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kind of cookie! I'm giving these a try as soon as I buy some ingredients I don't have at home. I hope I don't chicken out when it comes to sprinkling them with salt :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kind of cookie too, Amalia :) It's okay to skip the sea salt!

      Delete
  15. Oh yum! I can just smell these baking in the kitchen and of course even though you aren't supposed to - I would have eaten some of the raw dough! I am willing to be risky in the cookie dough department!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!