Thursday, May 28, 2015

Grilled Chiquila Shrimp


Now that the summer season is officially upon us and June 1st is, unbelievably, this Monday, I hope you are looking for some delicious ways use your outdoor grill! Here is a recipe that I have been making for a long time. Years. It's an adaptation of a recipe I received from a friend and I'm sorry I can't attribute the original source. I've tried doing web searches for tequila shrimp but nothing compares to this exact recipe. The stand out ingredient in this one is the marinade made with chili sauce, tequila, garlic, cayenne and other spices.  I like to call it Chiquila Shrimp. 

 

Fresh, cleaned and deveined shrimp (I like wild-caught, Gulf of Mexico shrimp) are threaded on skewers and marinated for at least 8 hours or even overnight for the biggest flavor.  The taste is spicy and Southwestern.  Of course, a margarita would be the perfect beverage to drink with these but an ice-cold beer would also be great. 


I made them recently for my husband and myself with just a simple side of snow peas with buttery toasted almonds and a fresh baguette, but we also love them with oven roasted potatoes and a salad.  If you are entertaining on Father's Day in a couple of weeks, keep this one in mind!  We like them straight off the grill, but you could save the marinade and simmer it on the stove to make a sauce to accompany the shrimp.

Things that are making me happy as May comes to a close..peonies, geraniums, irises, clematis, migrating Blue Birds, and, boys in pools...


Grilled Chiquila Shrimp

~from Savoring Time in the Kitchen
Printable Recipe

2lbs. shrimp raw, peeled and deveined 
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/3 cup tequila
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
Dash of Tabasco
½ tsp red pepper flakes or to taste

Marinate shrimp in zipper bag overnight with marinade ingredients. Thread on skewers so that both the head and tail are skewered.  That way the shrimp will not flip while grilling.  You can also skewer them first and then marinate them using a 9x13 pan.  Turn every few hours. 

If desired, you may save the marinade and simmer in a saucepan for at least 10 minutes to make a sauce for the shrimp. 

Prepare the grill to medium high heat. Grill shrimp skewers 2-4 minutes on each side until done to your liking.

Snow Peas with Buttery,Toasted Almonds

Printable Recipe

Makes 4 servings

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1/2-3/4 pound snow peas, trimmed
2-3 teaspoons minced shallot (or onion)

1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice

Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots or onions and saute until translucent and tender.  Remove to a plate and set aside.

Add the remaining 1 tablepoon of butter ot the skillet and add the almonds.  Cook until golden and fragrant and butter begins to brown, stirring frequently, about 1-1/2 minutes.  Remove the almonds to the same dish as the shallots.

Add the snow peas to the skillet and sauté until snow peas are crisp-tender, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
Remove skillet from heat and return the almonds and shallots to the skillet. Add the lemon juice, season to taste with salt and pepper and toss.  Serve immediately. 

66 comments:

  1. You must be so glad to have the pool!we always had one util here..:( The boys would have loved it..
    C'est la vie..Cute cute..look at their happy faces..that's pool happy.
    Your shrimp look and sound like something we would both enjoy..
    I saw a bud on my yelow tree peony:)
    Grateful.
    Bon Weekend Susan!
    Never seen a white perennial geranium..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique! They were so happy :) First time in the pool and raining most of the time. They didn't care! Yes, it is a white perennial geranium. I don't remember where I bought it!

      Delete
  2. The shrimp looks amazing! Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking, in addition to shrimp, chiquila chicken and pork. Lovely flowers. Darling boys!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea, Bonnie! I may have to experiment with that :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. How can I NOT make this after reading that list of ingredients, thanks Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good food, beautiful flowers and your cute Grands. Perfect!.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Glenda! It's supposed to be a good one here :( From 80s down to 50s!

      Delete
  6. Shrimp is my favorite...this recipe sounds delicious...and I have everything on hand!
    I can't believe how big the boys have gotten...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marigene! I know, they are sprouting just like the weeds in my garden :)

      Delete
  7. what can I say Susan???
    I adore shrimp, I think is my favorite seafood!
    And these look stunning,delicious, wonderful, love them!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bet that marinade would be great with chicken too! Your yellow peony is gorgeous Susan-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great time of year :) I think you are right about the chicken. I wonder why I never thought of it! Thanks, Lynn!

      Delete
  9. You must be the most incredible gardener ever. Everything is always gorgeous - along with this shrimp. How delicious! Have a wonderful weekend and warm summer days :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those shrimps look so succulent and tender. And you have an amazing garden, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Angie! I love being outside and tending to my garden. Cooking and gardening make me happy :)

      Delete
  11. love shrimps with a little heat. Your photos are so beguiling. Great-looking kids, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! You could even turn up the heat a little more with this recipe. Thank you very much, Jourmana.

      Delete
  12. I want someone to make this for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds very good Susan and your flowers look pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The shrimp look delicious, Susan. I sold my bbq in a garage sale last fall and now have to buy another one. There are too many choices and I can't decide. Your garden is beautiful and I love the sweet happy faces enjoying the water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! We have a gas grill for the convenience and love it.

      Delete
  15. These shrimp sound delicious and so perfect for Summer - can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look at those adorable boys enjoying pool time :) Yum! The shrimp look amazing and I would love them served with the snow peas. A perfect meal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I would be picking them right off the grill! I love a kick too. We are huge shrimp fans and I can never understand when people don't like them. So glad I grew up with them and my kids did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jacqueline! I'm sure those people had a bad experience with ill-prepared shrimp at some point. What's not to love? :)

      Delete
  18. How delicious!
    And your photography makes everything look beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Susan, your flowers are looking beautiful.......love looking at your pictures. Also this shrimp recipes sounds delicious, love the ingredient combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this time of year in the garden :) The shrimp marinade is a delicious! Thank you, Cheri!

      Delete
  20. looks wonderful and adore your garden

    ReplyDelete
  21. How I wish I can have a garden like yours, so beautiful! Too bad I don't have a grill, those shrimps look so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could use a stove-top griddle, Jasline, or even the broiler in your oven! Hope you try them :)

      Delete
  22. Your photos are gorgeous, and this recipe looks fantastic. The presentations are beautiful, too! Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I live in a beautiful and large apartment but there I haven't a terrace, barbecue it would be impossible!Your pics are so stunning ! Have a nice week Susan, a warm hug from Trieste !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those shrimp sound fantastic and as always your photos are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! They are delicious and perfect for summer.

      Delete
  25. Hello dear!!
    How was your Memorial day holiday? :)
    Here in UK May is always the month of rain :( but now in June I hope we can make a grill barbeque in the garden so I will try your shrimp recipe that I adore!!! lol
    Lovely child too!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace! It was raining here on Memorial Day too :) Hopefully drier weather this week. I hope you enjoy the shrimp recipe. xo

      Delete
  26. Is that an Indigo Bunting? Love this shrimp recipe and yay for warm weather. Seems like Memorial Day came and went with a dreary cold drizzle. We finally have sunshine and those grills are fired up.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I think it is an Indigo Bunting, Lea Ann! I thought it was a Blue Bird but I think you're right. Rarely seen here except during migration. It was a lucky shot. Glad you're getting some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely post and lovely recipe. The shrimp sound fantastic and love all your pics, especially those cutie pies!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely post and lovely recipe. The shrimp sound fantastic and love all your pics, especially those cutie pies!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Both recipes look GOOD! What a great post.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your photos and your recipes Susan. My hubby would love those shrimp. Nothing better than boys in the pool.

    ReplyDelete
  32. You can tell just by looking at this that the sauce has a perfect amount of spice. My stomach is growling just looking at it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Shrimp is one of my favorite things to make for summer grilling. These look fabulous Susan-but not as fabulous as those gorgeous boys. Oh my. I miss the pool days.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I like how you named these shrimps...chiquila...and they sure look so tasty...absolutely perfect paired with the snow peas and crunchy sliced of almonds...
    The kids are so cute in the pool!
    Have a great week Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. That looks INCREDIBLE, Susan! And those handsome boys...too cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a wonderful recipe for shrimp, Susan! And I really like the snow peas for your side dish! Your gardens are doing beautifully. I'd love to have that Japanese maple in my garden! Such a pretty time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This shrimp dish sounds so tasty, Susan, and so do the snow peas. I made a tequila shrimp recipe one time from Martha Stewart, but I like the addition of the chili sauce that this one has. I'll be trying this one soon, as grilling season is certainly here.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I forgot to mention that I loved your photos of your favorite things...especially those grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I seriously need to cook with shrimp more often! This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Your plates and wicker chargers are smashing, Susan. Also love those lilies of the valley peaking out. I do miss having a garden full of them. Many years ago my son made a visit to Michigan and brought me a bunch with roots thinking I could plant them in Florida. Alas, he found out differently!
    And those happy faces on your grandkids must make your day.
    A great shrimp dish...I like everything about it. Fun snow pea recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your flowers are beautiful! Love that shrimp recipe, perfect for a summer BBQ. Those boys are so cute!! Look like they're having the best time.

    ReplyDelete
  42. I love Summer and all the outdoor activities-the garden-the grill-the pool with the 'littles' swimming around-all good! I like your flavor packed grilled shrimp and the idea of a Margarita as a beverage with this meal sounds perfect-the snow peas look amazing too ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!