Thursday, March 20, 2014

Mu Shu Pork with Chive Mu Shu Pancakes


Happy first day of Spring everyone!!!

I told you I liked cabbage in my last post so here I am with another delicious recipe loaded with vegetables and another variety of cabbage - this time, Napa cabbage.  Also known as celery cabbage, Napa is a type of Chinese cabbage which originated near the Beijing region of China, and is widely used in Asian cooking.


Mu Shu Pork is made with slow-roasted and shredded pork, an abundance of cabbage, carrot, green onions, mushrooms, bean sprouts and cooked egg, A wrapper is spread with hoisin sauce and the cooked medley is placed over the pancake with more green onion or chives added as a garnish. Roll up and enjoy. It is delicious!

If you think making Mu Shu takes too much shredding, slicing and preparation, do as I did and get most of the prep done the day before.  I slow-roasted the pork, sliced and shredded all of the vegetables and made the Mu Shu pancakes on Sunday afternoon so I could put this meal together quickly on Monday night when my daughters came for dinner.

Mu Shu can also be made with chicken but Mu Shu Pork is a much more authentic Chinese preparation.  You could use a rotisserie chicken if you need a time-saver.  The dark meat would be tastiest in this recipe.


Some people even use flour tortillas as Mu Shu wrappers which is another shortcut and one I used when our girls were in high school and we were all very busy.  I though making them from scratch was fun and much tastier - especially with the addition of chives. I had some chives left from my Colcannon Soup in my last post and though this was a great way to use them.

Click here to watch a great video on making Mu Shu Pancakes.  The method in the video is very similar to the directions I've posted below.


It won't be too long before the chives in my garden start poking out of the ground as well as the first spring-flowering bulbs. Big smile.

Early spring is also a time of several back-to-back birthdays in our family, including our youngest grandson, me, my husband and our oldest daughter - in that order and all within 4 weeks of each other. Mr. Dane just turned two. We celebrate spring in a big way here :)

  
Mu Shu Pork with Chive Mu Shu Pancakes

Serves: 4 to 6

2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
1 teaspoon hoisin sauce 

1/2 pound boneless lean pork, slow-roasted and shredded  (see note)
4 dried black mushrooms, soaked for 20 minutes and thinly sliced (I used dried Shiitake mushrooms but use wood ear if you can find them)
2 cups finely shredded Napa cabbage, hard stem removed
1 carrot, julienned
3 scallions, white and light green parts, slivered
1 cup bean sprouts, drained if using canned sprouts

3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten with 1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
3 tablespoons chicken stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar (I omitted)
 

Hoisin sauce for serving

Notes:  The day before, I slow-roasted a small pork shoulder which I had brushed with a Hoisin/Soy mixture (about 1/8 cup each) in my slow cooker for about 5 hours until tender and easy to pull apart.  I shredded the meat and refrigerated in a covered bowl until ready to make the Mu Shu.  I also sliced and shredded all of the vegetables (including the mushrooms and drained bean sprouts) the day before.  I placed them all together in a tea towel and put that inside a plastic bag and refrigerated overnight. I prepared the Mu Shu Pancakes the day before also and when cooled, placed them in a plastic zipper bag in the refrigerator.  Before dinner, I wrapped them in foil and into a warm oven for about 10 minutes.

Combine soy sauce, sherry and hoisin sauce in a bowl. Add the pork, toss to coat evenly, cover, refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes.   Meanwhile, soak the mushrooms in enough hot water to cover for 20 minutes. Drain and thinly slice.

Heat a wok or very large skillet over medium/high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil and swirl to coat. Pour in the eggs, swirling and tilting the wok to form a thin film. Cook just until the eggs are set and feel dry on top, about 1 minute. Transfer to a platter, let cool slightly and cut into strips about 1/4 inch by 1 inch.


Return the wok to high heat, and swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Add the garlic, and ginger, and stir-fry to release the aromas, about 1 minute. Add the pork and stirfry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved mushrooms, cabbage, carrot, bean sprouts, and scallions, along with the chicken stock, and stir-fry another 2 minutes. Stir in soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, and sugar, and cook, stirring until sauce boils, about 1 minute. Add egg strips and mix well. 


To serve, spread a small amount of hoisin sauce on a warm Mandarin Pancake. Spoon about 1/2 cup mu shu mixture in center of pancake, wrap like a burrito, folding the ends to close, and serve.

MANDARIN PANCAKES:

Makes 16 pancakes

2 cups sifted flour
Pinch of Salt
1/8 cup finely snipped chives, if desired
3/4 cup boiling water
1 to 2 tablespoons sesame oil


Place flour in a medium bowl and stir in the salt and chives, if using.  Make a well in the center. Pour in the boiling water.  Use a wooden spoon or chopsticks to mix until a soft dough is formed. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough gently until it is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.


On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a log, 16 inches long. Cut the log crosswise into 1 inch pieces, shape each piece into a ball, then use your hands to flatten each ball into a pancake. Brush the tops of the pancakes lightly with the sesame oil. Then, place one pancake on top of a second pancake, oiled sides together, so that there are 8 pairs. (Keep covered with plastic wrap until ready to roll). With a rolling pin, flatten each pair into a 6 inch circle. (A tortilla press also works well for this.) Cover the pancakes with a damp towel or plastic wrap to rest.


Heat an ungreased, nonstick skillet over medium heat (I sprayed the pan lightly with nonstick spray). Cook the pancakes, one at a time, turning them over as they puff and little bubbles appear on the surface, until lightly browned, about 1-2 minutes on each side. As each pancake is finished, remove from the pan and gently separate the halves into 2 pancakes while still hot. Stack cooked pancakes on a plate, covered with a towel, while cooking the remaining pancakes.


Serve pancakes warm with Mu Shu Pork. Pancakes may be prepared up to 1 day in advance, wrapped in plastic, and refrigerated. Pancakes may also be frozen. Reheat them by steaming for 5 minutes, or warming them in a 350 degree F oven, wrapped in foil, for 10 minutes.

34 comments:

  1. You and he are so darn adorable..

    Susan this looks so good..We are big fans of cabbage and \i have been making egg rolls(not fried) and we have been saying ...mmmm..
    and we would do hte same for this dish.
    Fantastic photos!!
    And a cheery happy post.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'd like to download one of those, with a side of Mr. Dan's smile, please.

    Susan, I hope you and your handsome troops have a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I enjoy napa cabbage too and savoy cabbage which is similar. At least once a year I prepare cabbage rolls and prefer napa and savoy.
    Happy spring!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sue you always have amazing recipes! Looks and sounds delish! Love all the ingredients in this one, so healthy! Happy Spring day to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely plate and always love your shots dear, look awesome.
    And the kid is adorable, what lovely eyes!!!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mu shu pork is one of our favorite stir-fries and has such incredible flavors. I've never attempted the pancakes and have always served it with rice. I would love to try my hand at your pancakes. They look incredible.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a meal I'd love to try! Happy Spring Susan and enjoy all the special celebrations:@)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! Looks and sounds like something I would like. You do have lots to celebrate this month Pretty mosaic. Your Grandson is adorable !
    Happy Birthday!!
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was greatly distracted from this delicious looking and sounding recipe by that blue-eyed boy!! Happy birthday to all of you.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a big cluster of spring birthdays in our family too. Lots of celebrating and family dinners to look forward to. Mu shu pork is one of my favorite Chinese dishes and I've never tried to make it at home. So happy to have your recipe, Susan, and look forward to trying my hand at making the pancakes. Oh, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. Happy Birthday wishes to everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those pancakes look authentic and the wraps are just fantastic, Susan.
    Happy Birthday to you and your family members!
    Have a fantastic Friday!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lots of going on there...exciting, beautiful and delicious wraps! Happy Birthday! :) ela

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, that little Mr. Dane is A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E !!! What a sweet, sweet child! Can we introduce him to my Caroline? She would only be 7 years his senior. LOL
    My DH love mu-shu-pork so I will be making this for him, toot-sweet. It is his favorite carry out choice.
    Thanks for sharing your recipe. I have almost everything on hand except the pork, which is going on my shopping list today.
    Lovely photos....pretty plates, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. p.s. Happy Birthday to you & your gang! My DH is a March baby, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just happen to have chives in the fridge that need using and I love this recipe. Just enough meat with lots of veggies. Excellent combination in my book and you made it look so inviting and Spring-like. Boy do we all need a breath of Spring after this Winter!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. you are motivating me to give it a try; the images look so appetizing and compared to lebanese cooking, it is about the same amount of steps, just different; I know my parents would love it. Thanks Susan! btw, your grandson looks just like an angel!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow - this looks and sounds incredible. And as much as I'd want to take that shortcut with the tortillas, I'd love to make these pancakes. Pinned. And look at that incredibly handsome Grandson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, what a great dish, looks delicious! Four birthday's in a row in 4 weeks, wow, what fun you have during that time, especially with your grandson! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I had thought of making this with my head of cabbage instead of using it for St. Patrick's Day ;o)
    I adore Dane's smile and that little plaid shirt he is wearing. Happy birthday to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a darling young man? Oh it's okay to say that about a boy isn't it? :)

    I love Moo Shu, it's my favorite Chinese food. I've never made it. I have a chive plant, if it ever becomes Spring here, a perfect use for them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mu shu was always one of my favorite Chinese takeout orders!! It's so fun eating it with the pancakes. Your homemade version looks great!

    Your grandson is just THE cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, yum! And, another wonderful use for leftover pulled pork. I so enjoy all of the recipes you share and getting to see your sweet family pics. Happy Birthday to your handsome grandson and to the others who follow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. These sound interesting , going to pin them ! Have a great week Susan, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday all the way around, lots of Spring birthdays here also. Mr Dane is a doll! Your pork recipe is good also. I really like cabbage too and you did it all up deliciously!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I never tried to make my own Mu Shu pancakes before, Susan and your recipe sounds super good and easy! Your grandson Dane is a handsome boy. Happy 2nd birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've made Dorie's scallion pancakes...they were awesome, but took forever.
    Love your dish, Susan, and a Happy Birthday to your darling grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your dish is delicious Susan but my attention was captured by your grandson's beautiful eyes! Happy birthday to him, may he be happy and lucky in his whole life!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your grandson is a doll Susan! Happy Spring to each of you and we are going to love this recipe for Spring...you had me at nampa cabbage...

    ReplyDelete
  29. I used to make these years ago, but they fell off my radar - don't know why because they are so darn good. And your grandson is so darn adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Susann, this looks fantastic.
    Love the wonderful aroma that cabbage adds to the dish.
    Your grandson is so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, a delicious meal! It looks really good!
    I love it that you've made your own pancake.
    Your grandson is a cutie!
    Wish you and your family a wonderful season of Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  32. this looks amazing and wow love your grandsons big blue eyes

    ReplyDelete
  33. These pancakes look ridiculously delicious, they are full of lovely flavour :D
    And I love Napa cabbage, such a great vegetable!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh Susan, this look delicious, and you sure perfected both the mu shu pork and the chive pancakes...great job...I wish I could have a bite of this duo...yum!
    Great way to celebrate birthdays...spring...your grandson is so precious :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!