Thursday, May 10, 2012

Parsley and Chive Pull Apart Rolls


If you have chives and parsley growing in your garden right now (or have a generous neighbor with some), you need to make these delicious rolls.


I saw these in a poppy seed version on Joyce's blog Kitchen Flavors and the original recipe comes from Abigail Johnson Dodge. When I saw Joyce's beautiful rolls I decided right then that I had to try to adapt the recipe to my new bread machine!


The recipe included an herb version with using parsley and chives and my garden has been providing me plenty of those early spring herbs. I'm already imagining other herb combinations when my herb pots are overflowing this summer. The original recipe calls for half and half (light cream) which I didn't have but I found a container of whole milk cottage cheese and I figured cottage cheese and chives go perfectly together so, why not? I whirred the cottage cheese in a blender to get it creamy and smooth and I added about 1 tablespoon of milk for consistency.


I've made them twice already, once using the cottage cheese that I mentioned above, and the second time I used buttermilk instead.  Both delicious!  They look so cute in this folding bread basket that I received as a gift for my birthday ;) They are so soft and flavorful!



Spring Herb Pull-Apart Rolls

Adapted from Abigail Johnson Dodge
Printable Recipe

Note: This recipe has been adapted for the bread machine.  Please see link to Abigail Johnson Dodge's original recipe above if you wish to make them by hand or stand mixer and to see her do-ahead notes.

Makes 16 rolls

1 cup (8 fl ounces/233 ml) whole milk cottage cheese, whirred in a blender until smooth and creamy with 1 tablespoon milk, or 1 cup Buttermilk
6 tablespoons (3 ounces/85 grams) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces, plus 2 tablespoons (1 ounce/28 grams), melted, for glazing (optional)
3-2/3 cups (16 ½ ounces/468 grams) bread flour or all purpose flour
2-¼ teaspoons (1 packet) instant yeast (Fleischmann’s Rapid Rise, Red Star’s Quick Rise, or SAF Instant)
1/3 cup (2 ½ ounces/71 grams) granulated sugar
1 teaspoon table salt
3 egg yolks from large eggs
1/4 cup Chopped Chives
1/4 cup Chopped Parsley

Other flavor options:

Poppy Seed: 1 tablespoon plus one teaspoon poppy seeds
Black Pepper and Cheese: 2 cups (5 ounces/142 grams) loosely packed finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese and 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper

In a small saucepan or in microwave, combine the creamed cottage cheese or buttermilk and the 6 tablespoons butter.  Warm until the butter melts, stirring, and the liquid registers about 115 degrees (52°C) on an instant-read thermometer.  Add the packet of instant yeast and allow to stand for five minutes.

Mix the egg yorks with a fork and add to the above mixture and blend.

Combine the flour, sugar, salt and herbs.

Add the wet and dry ingredients to your bread machine depending on the manufacturer's instructions.  (Mine calls for putting the wet ingredients in first and then adding the dry ingredients on top.)

Set the machine for dough cycle only.  It will knead the dough and perform the first rise in the machine.

Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch (22.75-by-33cm) baking dish (I used a Pyrex dish).

When the bread machine dough cycle is completed (about 1-1/2 hours), turn the dough out onto a clean work surface and press down gently to deflate. If the dough is too sticky add a little flour to the work surface. Using a bench scraper or a chef’s knife, divide the dough into 16 equal pieces (or 15 in my case), 2 - 2-1/2 oz (57 to 71 grams) each. (To be sure of uniform rolls, use a scale to weigh the portions.)

Work with one piece of dough at a time, and keep the others covered with plastic wrap or a damp towel. With a cupped palm, press down gently but firmly, rolling the piece in tight circles on the work surface until it forms a smooth-skinned ball with a seam on the bottom. Put the ball, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish, cover loosely with plastic, and repeat with the remaining dough. The dough balls can be arranged in rows or placed randomly; just be sure they’re evenly spaced.

Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and let the balls rise in a warm spot until they’re about 1 ½ times their original size and have risen about three-fourths of the way up the sides of the baking dish (they won’t yet fill the dish), 40 to 60 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (190 C) about 10-15 minutes before the above rising time is done and position an oven rack to the middle position.

Bake until the rolls are puffed and well browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush the tops with the melted butter, if using. Serve warm or bake earlier in the day and gently reheat in a low oven.

84 comments:

  1. Heavenly! I can smell the aroma and taste the fluffy texture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful spring roll. Using cottage cheese... what a great ingredient!
    You pictures are perfection! They look like little herbed clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can smell them! I have a dill roll like these and I was just out in the garden pulling up rogue dill. I also have plenty of parsley and chives so I will have to try this version. So moist with the cottage cheese isn't it? Have a wonderful Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would so hop right over to have a couple of these golden puffs of deliciousness. I don't have a bread maker, so I will check out the other version. Next time I have friends over for dinner, these will be in my bread basket. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look very good, and I can imagine how good they must smell. I always have chives on hand in my garden, but I could never grow parsley. No worries, I'm sure they will be good with the herbs I do have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look wonderful and I even have a patch of chives...no parsley, though. Clever gal thinking that cottage cheese would work. Now I don't know which direction to go... buttermilk or cottage cheese... any noticeable difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, the cottage cheese version actually seemed a little moister to me but that could have been due to baking conditions also. Both were very good!

      Delete
  7. Yum! I not a big bread eater, but those sound good.
    Have a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such beauties Susan! Thanks for the recipe you've adapted to the bread machine. I'm so excited to bake some up just before my family arrives. My house will smell like I've worked all day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is definitely something to make... the cottage cheese makes them look soooo tender and good. No bread machine but I have a good ol' kitchenaid that will do the trick. My herbs are just getting there after a few weeks in the ground... by next month I'll have plenty of chives in my pots!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look soo good! I love little rolls now..Thank you..;)I will make these dear Susan:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, these look fantastic. I might have to drag out my bread machine. These would make any meal a lovely compliment. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. what nice recipe I love rolls amd these look awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, I'm making these to take to my mom's this weekend. And I have loads of chives and parsley both. Do you have garlic chives? Someone gave me a bunch last year and they are coming up all over the place! But the flavor is subtle and wonderful. Happy Mother's Day to you Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Becky! I only have regular chives but will look for garlic chives on my garden center rounds coming up this week.

      Delete
  14. The rolls are beautiful Susan, I'd love one or three right about now! Gorgeous pics, lovin' your new bread basket:@)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look delicious! Alas, I have no bread machine but will certainly check out the original version. I'm thinking they would work with a variety of different herbs. So far, it has been too chilly around here for anything other than thyme.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. ohh they look so fluffy and perfect to pair with almost everything

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photos make me want to make rolls immediately, just like these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't wait to try Susan,they look so delicious ! have a good weekend dear, a warm spring huge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They look soooooo good. I still have the bread machine on the counter from Easter (I don't believe in rushing things!) so I could easily give this a try. The pull aparts would be so good with Spaghetti Bolognese.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These buns look soft, fluffy and flavoursome :D
    Wonderful!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe; love your photos; i caN almost taste them. Great that you posted so I can use my bread machine. So anxious for our herbs to appear.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can see that you have put in very good use your bread machine Susan. These buns look very appetizing and the herbs you infused I am sure gave them a very special aroma!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I can just imagine pulling those apart, fresh from the oven, so good! They look pretty, too, with the flecks of herbs in there. Very pretty basket.
    Happy Mother's Day, Susan, enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look so perfect and tasty. I've never heard of the cookbook you got these from and I will have to check it out. This recipe looks so simple I can only imagine how good it tastes. The perfect addition to The Mothers Day menu.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Homemade rolls make any meal extra special. I still don't have a bread machine but hopefully I can come close without it. Happy Mother's Day, Susan. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I really enjoy rolls with herbs in them and these look very good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful batch of rolls - they look perfectly fluffy and golden brown. Love that you added chives for more flavor, too! Thanks for sharing, Susan. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This looks glorious! I never knew how to make pull apart rolls (as you can see, I am very inexperienced in cooking..) NOW I DO!! Putting this on my to-do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yum...these look amazing. So soft and fluffy! I'm craving for some right now.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They certainly sound delish, Susan, with the fresh herbs! I could gobble a couple of these right about now. You certainly are getting good use out of your new bread machine.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love these right now!!! I know I could eat about 5 of them =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the look of your soft fluffy herbed rolls baked in the pan just waiting to be pulled apart and served! I have a pot of chives just waiting to be used in a recipe like this one, thanks for sharing;-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. They sure do look good Susan! I love your bread basket too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your rolls looks wonderful and sounds delicious with homegrown garden chives! I've made these rolls a couple of times too, really good! I have a small patch of chives right now in my pot and have never tried baking using cottage cheese before, they are extremely expensive over here. Have always wanted to make own though, on my list-of-to-do for ages! Perhaps very soon! I see that you are having a great time with your bread machine, that's great! Like your folding bread basket! And thank you for the mention! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I don't know what I'm making for mother's day dinner yet but I already know that I want these dinner rolls to be on the table!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Oh Susan, these are the most wonderful rolls I've seen in a very long time. I have parsley and chives growing in pots - will have to make these cuties soon.

    Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Susan, these rolls look so delicious! Breads are my absolute food weakness and these rolls will fit so nicely on my list of must-make breads. That folding bread basket is darling--I want one of my own! I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. ~Terri

    ReplyDelete
  38. I know I will be making these. I have both parsley and chives in the garden and my bread machine needs a workout. Happy Mother's Day Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This has my mouth watering. I love chives and parsley and Bread!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I can hardly wait to try this recipe! I am following you, linked up to your Pinterest pics and have subscribed via feedburner. I don't want to miss one single recipe from you!! Happy Mother's Day. Do you live in Illinois or Michigan. I am from the North Shore of Chicago originally and went to college in Lake Forest.

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan and thanks for the follow! I'll be visiting you soon. I live just up the highway from you in the Milwaukee area!

      Delete
  41. Susan~ Adorable bread basket for your soft and delicious rolls! Thank heavens I don't have a bread machine~ I have zero will power when it comes to white foods :) Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These rolls look beautiful and so delicious. I'd love to try these soon. Not sure if my chives are big enough to cut. The disadvantages of moving to a new home.

    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete
  43. These look amazing and I'm going to print the recipe!
    Happy Mother's Day!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is the first year since I moved from the west coast that I will have a garden, and it it full of herbs. This is a great idea to incorporate them into fluffy dinner rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  45. I ADORE BREAD, I like making it, buying it and of course, EATING IT!! I have lost 20 lbs. since January 2012.. and I just don't have any white bread, or pastas of any kind and NO SWEETS, NO COOKIES, NO BROWNIES, LOL!! Ok, I have lots of veggies and cooked meat, chicken and fish. No, really, I make my dishes really great. Just the same I copied your recipe as I do make it for tea parties and my fav thing to do is BAKING, it relaxes me and fills my heart with love! Thanks for the recipe. Wishing you a lovely MOTHER'S DAY and many blessings.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank is so sweet, Fabby! Thank you and Happy Mother's Day to you and to everyone!

      Delete
  46. What a delicious use for chives - these sound and look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  47. There is nothing better than home made bread and your rolls look absolutely delicious. When we lived in Montana, I used to make bread from scratch, but those days are looong gone.
    Hope you're having a wonderful Mother's Day.
    Hugs,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  48. How lovely is this recipe! I like the use of herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow. Those turned out beautifully! I really must make more bread and this is giving me incentive!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love these rolls. They are so versatile you really can put any herb you want in them. Thanks for sharing this on foodie friday.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Wow Susan, these roll look great, nice texture and flavors, like the chives and parsley, and love the light greenish color as well.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe and hope you have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Susan, these rolls look incredible - I love the fresh herbs baked right in and they look so soft and fluffy... Beautiful, beautiful rolls. Thank you so much for sharing with Made with Love Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Susan, those soft rolls with cottage cheese and fresh herbs look really SUPER!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Gorgeous looking rolls!! I can almost smell em'

    ReplyDelete
  55. I do not have those two herbs in the garden! But I am sure I can play with the flavors to see what would come up with what I have. They look very buttery and flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Those look absolutely fantastic. Seriously the rolls looks browned perfectly and so light and fluffy.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Oh wow these look amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  58. These look delicious and sound super tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  59. These look absolutely delicious. Thanks so much for being a part of my 100th Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  60. Lovely space dear. Do visit my blog when you get time. I am ur new follower
    http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  61. Certainly Heavenly, Susan! These rolls look adorable and the texture... simply superb. Love the addition of herbs :)

    HUGS <3

    ReplyDelete
  62. What a great idea these lovely light green buns! I have to follow you now!!!

    Come and visit if you like, I am here http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.co.nz/

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  63. When i eat a meal rolls are pretty much a must, and your look very good. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  64. These rolls look absolutely scrumptious! Thanks for sharing the recipe at Your Cozy Home Party. ---Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  65. Beautiful! I have some chives that may just have to be made into these delicious rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  66. These rolls look gorgeous! Perfectly baked and big on flavor with those chives .

    ReplyDelete
  67. What a wonderful way to use up some the abundant chives in my garden. I'm trying to stay away from carbs a bit, but these look irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  68. I do have chives and parsley growing in the garden right now and I am all over this recipe for ABM herb rolls. Thank you so much for sharing, I can't wait to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  69. I have been thinking about making homemade rolls for a few weeks now, these look soooo good! I love the addition of the herbs and the cottage cheese. Beautiful! Take Care, Terra

    ReplyDelete
  70. I want to dive face first into that basket full of fluffy rolls. They are stunning! And I love that you adapted them for the bread machine. They're on my short-list, to be made soon! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing them :D

    ReplyDelete
  71. These are just the kind of thing that when passed to me in a basket at the table I would have a hard time handing to the person next to me. I'm pretty sure I would find a way to hide them under the table next to me. Definitely putting my herbs together for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  72. I am not going to let 81 comments already stop me - THESE LOOK FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  73. Susan!
    I have an abundance of herbs, love bread making and this recipe is calling my name. Thank you! I cannot wait to try it. Snooping around and I can see I have missed so much. Back again - how many times have I said that? But now retired, so am really back! Have missed your inspiration.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  74. PS - please e-mail me with where you got that AMAZING bag in the last photo - the one just above the recipe... I am smitten!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!