Thursday, March 3, 2011

Seared Scallops with Tomato, Olive and Garlic Relish


Looking for a delicious, new way to serve scallops? Here's one I highly recommend! My husband really enjoys scallops and I'm happy for any way to get more fish into our diet. I found this wonderful recipe in Bistro Cooking at Home by Gordon Hamersley. This is only the second recipe I've tried from his cookbook and, so far, both have been excellent.


I used the flat side of my cast iron griddle on top of the outdoor grill to sear the scallops - which is the same way I make my crispy salmon. I love the great sear I get with this method. Just be sure the scallops are well dried with paper toweling. If you buy frozen scallops, defrost them overnight in the refrigerator.


The garlic, sun-dried tomato and olive relish makes this a dish that is company-worthy either as a starter or a main dish. The relish would also be excellent with other types of fish or even chicken. Today, I made the scallops as a starter, however, the recipe calls for serving them over angel hair pasta with some of the relish mixed into the pasta which I how I'm planning on using the rest of the relish with another type of fish for dinner tomorrow!

Don't be afraid of the amount of garlic in this recipe. The preparation makes them mild and so delicious. Afterward, I wished I had even added more.

To turn this into a main dish, simply increase the portion size and serve over a bed of your favorite rice or puree potatoes or celery root.

Seared Scallops with Tomato, Olive and Garlic Relish

Adapted from Bistro Cooking at Home by Gordon Hamersley
Printable Recipe

10 whole garlic cloves, peeled and ends trimmed
1/2 cup olive oil (approximately)
1/2 cup black olives, such as Kalamata, pitted and coarsely chopped
3/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, soaked in hot water until softened and coarsely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
24 large sea scallops, about 1-1/4 pounds, dried with paper toweling
Chopped basil or parsley for garnish

To make the relish:

Place the garlic cloves in your smallest saucepan. Add enough olive oil to cover the cloves completely. Bring the oil to a simmer, then turn down the heat to low. Cook until the garlic is very tender, 15-20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic into a bowl. Add 1/3 cup of the olive oil from the pan and reserve the rest for another use (it's delicious for bread-dipping!). Allow the garlic and oil to cool to room temperature. Add the olives, sun-dried tomatoes, shallot, basil and balsamic vinegar. Stir gently without breaking the tender garlic. Season with pepper. Allow the flavors to blend for at least 15 minutes before serving. It will keep in the refrigerator for a few days but allow to come to room temperature before serving.

To sear the scallops:

If you do not have a cast iron griddle or wish to cook the scallops indoors, simple using a pre-heated, large saute pan over medium-high heat. If you do try the griddle on the outdoor grill, preheat the griddle over medium-high heat for at least 5-10 minutes. Spray with non-stick cooking spray and then sear for 3 minutes on one side, flip over and sear for another 1-2 minutes on the other side.

Serve alone with the relish or serve over angel hair pasta with some of the relish tossed in.

40 comments:

  1. Welcome back and you have been missed. This scallop recipe looks fabulous. Since I have access to fresh scallops living along the Gulf Coast (and our area not affected by the oil spill, thankfully) I will definitely be trying this recipe. Probably over the weekend. Thank you Susan for sharing.

    Carolyn/A Southerners Notebook

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Warm weather vacation.....how nice. I can't wait till the weather warms up in Illinois. Your scallop recipe looks amazing. Hope to try it soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back Susan, your vaca sounds very nice! Love the idea of using the griddle on the grill:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan - I was just wondering when you'd post again. Scallops are one of my top 5 favorite things to eat. I almost always order them them when we eat out. LOVE when they're seared well - something you seem to have mastered!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are back. Gotta love those scallops. Your photos are over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look delicious. I have only made them broiled or fried. I will show this to M, he likes scallops.
    Glad you have your cooking legs back, and I think we all think our mom's made the best. That causes a lot of problems with new brides...he says his mom cooked better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! These scallops look delicious- seafood is my favorite, and hubby and I are supposed to be eating more of it. I've never made them on the grill, but I'll have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How nice to find you back, rested and sharing a delicious recipe! I think the combination of ingredients is a winner and I'll take your advice and add more garlic!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could have scallops prepared any way! This sounds delicious, i'll take your word on the whole garlic.
    Welcome home!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome back! I like this Mediterranean spin on serving scallops! I like that you can also use the relish for pasta, it sounds like the perfect pairing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, This beautiful recipe could not suite me any better! I adore scallops and the gorgeous sear you have on those is just how I love to eat them.
    I will definitely try these. YUMMY!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  12. welcome back Susan! you've come back to chilly temps but a few more sunny days this week. I'm happy it's March because spring is just around that corner now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, I love this recipe! Such great flavor combinations... I'm always looking for great new flavors to add in with scallops.

    I'm hosting a giveaway this week at EKat's Kitchen and would love if you stopped by to enter!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Welcome back! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed a warm get-a-way! We also love scallops! I'll be sure to try this recipe very soon! Thanks for another great recipe!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Welcome back back, Susan! Glad to hear that you have enjoyed your vacation.
    The scallops look really good... would love to try it, but scallops are extremely expensive over here! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome back, glad you had a wonderful time...These scallops look delightful!And love the presentation, just beautiful! Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  17. Welcome Back! Hope you had a wonderful vacation! Getting a good sear on scallops is such an art. I just used the cast iron pan for the first time, it works great. These look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. WElcome home.. a little birdie told me:)

    I like a good sear on scallop too..Your recipe sounds very good.. I just made a new scallop recipe too..We enjoyed it a lot..a treat..

    Glad you're back:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you're back, you've been missed!
    The scallops look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad you are back and this recipe is a winner! I have all the ingredients required and will make it today, yeah!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, the relish sounds yummy and would go with fish wonderfully...I am always looking for something a little different to go with fish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. We've missed you Susan. Hope you had a great break.
    I have the worst time with scallops. My local store only has the nasty soaked variety that don't sear well (they leave a puddle of liquid). I have to go to the fancy fish store for diver's scallops to get the sear I like.

    Your's look so perfect and that garlic poached in oil would be gorgeous with the scallops... wonderful recipe and Welcome Back!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Monique's birdie also chirped the news to me that you were back! And how.

    I love the golden crust on your scallops. But the thought of me getting around crotchety Old Man Winter to my grill seems light years away.
    So I'll just admire your lovelies from afar.

    Enjoy your weekend Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Welcome back, Susan. What a treat to spend time in the sunshine during these long winter months.

    Your scallops are beautiful with that perfect crust and lovely relish.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susan, nice to see you back and with such a gorgeous scallop dish!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Welcome back! You have DEFINITELY been missed! I hope you had a wonderful break! The scallops and relish AND the crispy sear looks exceedingly tasty. I will have to try that little trick!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Welcome back! I Love scallops and that recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome back! This looks & sounds delish~ I love the ingredients in the relish!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the crunchy looking sear on these. I adore scallops. I try to describe them as a marshmallow in your mouth. Unfortunately hubby does not share the passion! Gorgeously presented as always! You could make me gain a ton!

    Glad you had a warm rest! We always feel like it breaks the back of winter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Susan, thanks for stopping by. I just wanted to let you know that I use seafood compost in my garden, it's available at your local garden center. That may help your hydrangeas.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Welcome back dear Susan!Your scallop recipe looks tasty!A warm hug...

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love scallops but hardly ever eat them. These look great. Perfectly cooked!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Welcome back! These are some gorgeous scallops. So easy to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hubby loves scallops; I don't. He'd probably flip if I actually made them at home. This recipe does sound good, but I think I may try it on chicken as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Glad you had a lovely time, Susan! It's been a hard winter for the north.

    Scallops are a favorite of mine....I bet I have them twice a week. Nice to serve with the sun dried tomato relish!

    ReplyDelete
  36. My hubs would love this too! It has all his favourite ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Glad you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing this perfectly elegant dish.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you all for the wonderful welcome home wishes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Susan, glad you had a nice trip! Boy do these scallops look good.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Welcome back! I am envious of your warm weather vacation---must have been wonderful!
    Something else that's wonderful are these scallops with beautiful caramelization--what color!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!