Sunday, January 30, 2011

Cioppino - Romancing the Fish!



Ever wonder what to do with leftover fish? Do you have a few shrimp in the freezer that need to be used? Try Cioppino! Friday night, I made grilled salmon for my husband and myself and bought more than we needed just to have a few pieces left to prepare this flavorful fish stew. A few scallops and shrimp in the freezer and all I needed from the grocery store were a few mussels and a crusty baguette and tonight's dinner was ready in no time at all.


Quoting from Wikipedia, Cioppino"was developed in the late 1800s by Portuguese and Italian fishermen who settled in the North Beach section of San Francisco. Originally it was made on the boats while out at sea and later became a staple as Italian restaurants proliferated in San Francisco. The name comes from ciuppin, a word in the Ligurian dialect of the port city of Genoa, meaning "to chop" or "chopped" which described the process of making the stew by chopping up various leftovers of the days catch."


I used salmon, shrimp, Bay scallops and mussels in my 'today's catch' version of cioppino but you can use any favorite fish or shellfish in this recipe.The sea is the limit and it is truly a romantic blend of sea flavors!

Cioppino

From a favorite old recipe of mine – source unknown
Printable Recipe

Save any leftover cooked fish or seafood from a previous meal to make this delicious fish chowder. The fish used in this recipe are merely ideas - use your favorite fish or shellfish in whatever proportions you like.

1/8 cup olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped with leaves
2 carrots, peeled and sliced thin
2 potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
½ tablespoon minced garlic
1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
2 cups chicken stock
¾ cup white wine (I like Chardonnay)
¾ cup water
1 bay leaf
1/8 cup parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon basil, chopped (or ½ T dried basil)
1 teaspoon thyme leaves (or ½ tsp dried thyme)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

1/3 lb bay scallops, thawed if frozen
½ pound of mild, white fish, such as tilapia, cut into large chunks
½ pound of salmon filet, cut into large chunks
½ pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined, thawed if frozen
Mussels, clams (optional)

Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat, add onion celery add onion, celery, carrots and potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, 1 or 2 minutes.

Add canned tomatoes, chicken stock, wine, water, bay leaf , herbs and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Add all raw fish or seafood and cook for about 7 minutes. Then add any precooked fish or seafood and cook another 7 minutes, or until heated through.

Serve with a crusty baguette for dipping into the broth.

45 comments:

  1. wow love seafood stews lovely and great info as ever your a star blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow love seafood stews lovely and great info as ever your a star blogger

    ReplyDelete
  3. that seafood stew looks amazing! what a great blend of flavors. you've got me craving for a nice bowl of seafood stew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan that looks delicious! Can I come to your house for dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the history of how the soup came to be. It looks yummy - any seafood soup or chowder I simply adore. I will be referring back here after my next trip to our local fishmonger - and that is overdue!
    :)
    valerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,

    That looks wonderful. I haven't made it for years so it is probably time.

    Nice mosaic.

    Have a wonderful week.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, boy does look delish! I always forget to use my seafood this way. I love your romantic mosaic ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely way to use left over seafood. Gorgeous photos.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cioppino is a wonderful celebration of seafood, and exactly what we need to warm up on these cold winter days! I make Cioppino every year for the Superbowl--it's a favorite around here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love seafood and I will try this recipe; you are right. I also end up with a bit of this and that in teh freezer; thank you for sharing; looks really good.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks fantastic, wish I could have some, especially with a piece of a baguette!
    You found some beautiful romance at your house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The collage and the cioppino surely cut the frost in the air..it's -4F this am.. Cold spell again..not huge snow amounts..but great cold..

    I am happy I covered my lavender..

    I remember you sharing cioppino before..I haven't tried it yet,but I will..:)I love your hearts.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This soup is a favorite but I've never made it at home. I picked up some frozen cod at Trader Joe's yesterday--a fish I've never cooked--and wonder if that might work for the mild white fish? I think I have everything else except the mussels. This would be delicious to see us through our predicted blizzard tomorrow and Wednesday!

    I went back and checked your hot dog recipe you mentioned. Honestly, if the snow wasn't on the grill, I'd be tempted to try them now. They'll be on our table at thaw. We have Unsinger's products in our local grocers.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cioppino brings back wonderful memories of the wharf in San Francisco. There's a little hole in the wall that makes the best fish stew and crab louies. I know I have enough fish in the freezer to make your recipe. What a treat this will be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think every coastal area must have its version of fish stew - this one looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan, I was in heaven eating Cioppino at a few restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf when I visited San Francisco this past summer. I'm printing out your recipe as it looks so good!
    Prett mosaic ..I love the red glass heart!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the type of sexy dish that evokes romance! Still, I'd find it hard to share with my significant other.

    Susan, my apologies in advance. But, as corny as it sounds, your heart collage stole my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  18. YUM, this looks so tasty. I came over thinking a Mosaic and I found a wonderful recipe! Thank you for sharing and the background info is great!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a great idea for leftovers. Love the soup and the combinations of different flavors. It all makes the dish taste even better. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    I didn't know you studied abroad in Switzerland! I did too! :) isn't that funny. I like you, love fondue. I think it's perefect for every meal. You got me excited for Wednesday. Keep brining them gril. You're doing great!

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your seafood stew sounds and looks delicious! I will have to try this soon. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your entire blog is filled with stunning photos. I am missing the recipes, just looking at the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is one of my favorite dishes involving seafood! I had it about a year ago in a restaurant and if I can ever get my hands on good, fresh seafood, I want to make it myself. I love your recipe! -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love any type of seafood stew, but hate the way the house smells after preparing it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never had this but my sister always raves about how good it is. Yours looks good enough for me to bookmark and I hope to make some soon - fits into the new healthy eating plan :)

    Beautiful mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks and sounds wonderful...I do have some shrimp and mussels in the freezer, may have to attempt this over the weekend!
    Sweet mosaic..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Susan I love this, I love seafood and this is amazing!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  27. Susan, this looks great! Drifted and got totally distracted, and a huge chuckle, from the Devilish Chicks on the side bar-love it! I see them as fun for Super Bowl Sunday too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've never made this at home, though I dearly love it. It doesn't sound so intimidating. I have some shrimp, fish and scallops, but no mussels or clams. I may just try it with what I have on hand. It looks so good!:)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your Cioppino looks amazing...I would love to soak some crusty bread in your delicious broth! Thanks for sharing your recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Kind of an American boulliabaisse, isn't it?? I always try to keep shrimp in the freezer and my fish guy is sweet... he lets me get bits of things... which would be perfect for your cioppino. I had it years ago in San Francisco and remember it fondly... it was warm and comforting... hope the storm passes you by, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Mmmm, one of my favorite dishes. It always takes me awhile so I save it for special times. Yours looks delish!

    New to your site. Love it here already. Can't wait to poke around some more.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like, I like, Susan. And I have some leftover right now! And some scallops in the freezer. Super recipe!

    Love your marble heart! Don't you adore daughters?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks so much, everyone! Yes, daughters are great, Barbara ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow this looks awesome!Thanks for sharing the recipe. I am new to your blog and I really like it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. cioppino, great recipe dear Susan! I love it!A warm hug...

    ReplyDelete
  36. It makes me kind of sad that I NEVER seem to have fish in teh freezer! I am missing out on making this delicious soup!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I like this as you can use shrimp instead of fish. Yours looks delectable. The mosaic is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This looks so mouthwatering! Too bad I was frantically trying to finish my tablescape post rather than make dinner. I would love some of this on this icy cold day.
    Mmmmm...especially the pink juicy shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This is great! I never know what to do with leftover fish - so perfect! And it looks wonderfully warm and tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Not only is that food delicious, but your mosaic is so pretty, particularly the heart from your daughter. That's the best kind of Valentine!

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    P.S. Love your little owls on the sidebar. How CUTE! My best friend would adore these. She's a huge owl fan.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Although I love this soup (especially when I had it in San Fransisco), I have never made it at home! How silly of me and what a great idea and recipe to follow for my first attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Lovely plate of sea food, looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your Cioppino looks so amazing, I love these types of stews...wonderful :) Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!