Thursday, August 5, 2010

Eggless Summer Berry Ice Cream

Yesterday's New York Times 'Dining and Wine' article was regarding the virtues of egg free ice cream. Any way to cut back on a modicum of fat is worth a try - especially when it comes to dessert!


The basis of the article is that if fat (as in egg yolks) is reduced, therefore some alcohol must be added to keep the ice cream from freezing to a rock hard state.  Since we had company coming for dinner tonight, it was the perfect excuse to try one of the recipes in the article. I had all the berries on hand for the summer berry recipe...strawberries, blackberries and blueberries.


The berries are mashed together and later added to a cream and sugar mixture which has been brought to a simmer on the stove and then allowed to cool.


Right after taking the cream off the heat, 2 tablespoons of vodka are added to the cream. Here it is right after coming out of the ice cream maker:  Isn't that a gorgeous color?!


This recipe received such rave reviews tonight, my husband has asked me to make it on Saturday when we entertain again!  There is not a hint of vodka in the taste of the ice cream and it was one of the freshest-tasting berry ice creams I have ever had. With the hot weather we've been having, the only issue was eating it before it melted :)


Eggless Summer Berry Ice Cream
Adapted from the New York Times
Printable Recipe

1 1/4 cups berries (I used blueberries, strawberries and blackberries)
2 cups heavy cream
1/3 cup sugar, plus 1-2 tablespoons more if your berries are tart
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons vodka.

Mash berries with a fork or potato masher, leave some chunky bits.

Bring the 2 cups of cream to a simmer with 1/3 cup sugar and the salt over medium low heat in a heavy saucepan, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and add the vodka. Cool for at least 1-2 hours in the refrigerator.

Pour the chilled mixture into an ice cream machine, add the mashed berries and churn according to manufacturer’s directions. Transfer the ice cream to a container and freeze for at least 2 hours. Remove from freezer for 5 minutes before serving.

Yields one quart

------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sharing this recipe at Design by Gollum's Foodie Friday!   You'll find a treasure of fun recipes there!

30 comments:

  1. I am wondering if you could have also use some framboise instead of the vodka. Great ice cream recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your photo is beautiful! The colors are amazing! What a delicious summer treat. I love eggless ice creams!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great with no eggs and it looks delicious! Vodka works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read that article! Well, after hearing your review, this will be tonight's dessert- thnk you!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks wonderful and I too can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This ice cream looks like it has a lovely texture. I've started adding one tablespoon of alcohol to most of my ice cream recipes and I'm happy with the results. Berry is my favorite flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creamy and lucious does that look! Vodka... very very intersting! I will have to put this on the must try list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum - need a bowl of that about now. Great photos.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, ladies!

    My Kitchen in the Rockies...I too, wondered about using a liqueur instead of vodka but it was my first time making it and thought I'd better stick to the recipe and I'm happy I did. It really is delicious and not a hint of vodka taste.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, this is so beautiful and sounds perfect. I make lots of homemade icecream and this is am "must try"! It actually looks fluffy!
    I have family here, so I'm thinking a sunday dinner treat!
    Your blog is such a pleasre to visit!!!!!
    xo Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I imagine having no eggs makes it very fresh and clean tasting... light and summery with all those heavenly berries. Really lovely recipe... now I have to read the article!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan questo gelato é FAVOLOSOOOO!!
    sei bravissima!!!
    le foto sono meravigliose...mangerei lo schermo del pc!!
    baci!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can't go wrong with vodka. This is a perfect adult ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Absolutely fabulous! If you're interested, I have an egg free Coffee Toffee Mocha Crunch ice cream recipe on my blog. It's simply divine.

    http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2009/08/coffee-toffee-mocha-crunch-ice-cream.html

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  15. So that's why eggless ice cream gets so hard. DUH! I thought I was doing great making egg-free, but unless you eat it right away that's exactly what happens. Last ice cream I made (Marsha's delicious Mocha Latte) had a single yolk and that seemed to solve the problem. Hopefully I'll remember your tip next time I do egg-free.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Honestly, I can hardly wait to get to tomorrow's market for berries. This looks and sounds delicious. We love berries in any form but especially in ice cream.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. So beautiful- the ice cream and the fresh berries! This is very tempting, especially since I have all of those berries in my refrigerator. Interesting about the vodka- it makes sense though. Thanks for the lovely recipe and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, does that look positively refreshing & delicious! I wonder if Chambord would work in place of the vodka but it really looks perfect as is. I will definitely be trying this recipe given that the temps in Florida are sky high! Thanks for such a fabulous recipe & hope you had a fabulous time at your events - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've heard of the vodka trick but never realized that it was in lieu of eggs. This ice cream sounds so delicious! I love berry flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow this looks amazing lucky guests lol have a good weekend he he hope Jasmine likes to draw

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful texture it has Susan! I will definitely give this one a try. I might do pure blackberries when they are ripe...which will be within a week or two. We are going to be in blackberry heaven soon. I guess the vodka is a little bit of food science. And you know I love the pinkness of this ice cream :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I prefer the eggless ice cream too. This looks perfectly creamy and smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I read that about the alcohol in the ice cream last year when we did the first social. I put vodka in the cherry vanilla, and kahlua if the chocolate. I did remove some first for the kids, as I don't think it would be a good idea to serve them alcohol, no matter how small the amount. I put lemoncello in the lemon sorbet too!
    Your berry ice cream looks delicious, and I am a fan of no eggs in the ice cream!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. For a noon cook, your pictures make me RATHER envious....I love every post you do.....Happy Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea on the egg free ice cream, it looks delicious and so creamy! Have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Note to self: stop browsing food blogs at lunch time. Seriously considering skipping the "meal" and going straight for dessert. My hips thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks fantastic and the beautiful photos have me drooling.

    I might try it with some Chombord to amp up the berry flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I much prefer the eggless ice cream and knew about using vodka. Putting it on my list for next year's ice cream social :-) I love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so beautiful and sounds perfect. I make lots of homemade icecream in weekends but it is very hard to prepare.online counseling

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!