Sunday, January 24, 2010

Apple Strudel Bread


Our second recipe challenge for the HBin5 bread baking group is the recipe for Soft Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread from the book Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day. With the dough from this recipe, we were invited to make three things - an Apple Strudel Bread, Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns, and a loaf of Soft Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread.


Here is a wonderful You Tube of Zoe and Jeff sharing the Master Recipe and technique from their book.

The Apple Strudel Bread piqued my interest immediately. Apples, walnuts and cinnamon and sugar all wrapped up in soft whole wheat bread? I had to try this one first! Please see *My Notes below.


This particular batch of dough turned out beautifully. I prepared the dough on Thursday and, after the initial rise, allowed it to rest in the refrigerator until Saturday morning when I started baking my first recipe.

The dough rolled out very easily with a dusting of flour on my work surface and also on my silicone rolling pin.


The chopped apples, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon are then spread over the rolled-out dough.


All rolled up and ready to place inside my Le Creuset loaf pan which I sprayed with Canola oil spray. I love how bread releases from this pan.


The dough rests for 90 minutes to warm and rise and is then brushed with an egg wash and more sugar and cinnamon is sprinkled on top and into the oven it goes.

My filing turned out slightly off-center but taste more than made up for that! It was delicious still slightly warm.


And just as delicious toasted the next morning. I'll be sharing photos of the hamburger buns and the whole wheat sandwich loaf tomorrow!


Soft Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

From Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day

Note: You can use any favorite bread dough for this recipe such as this one or you could buy frozen light whole wheat bread dough.  Simple prepare the apple filling below and bake according to your bread recipe's directions. 

-For the Apple Strudel Bread, I substituted dried cherries for raisin and also, I used brown sugar instead of raw sugar in the recipe.

5 cups whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast, or 2 packets
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
1/2 cup honey
5 large eggs
2/3 cup neutral-flavored oil or unsalted butter, melted

For the Apple Strudel Bread:

2 medium apples, skin on, sliced thin and then chopped.
1/2 cup raisins or dried cherries (optional)*
3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)*
1/4 cup brown sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for the top of the loaf
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Egg wash for brushing on top (1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water)

Directions

Whisk together the flours, yeast, salt, and vital wheat gluten in a 5-quart bowl, or a lidded (not airtight) food container (I buy large, plastic paint tubs with lids from my hardware store).

Combine the liquid ingredients and mix them with the dry ingredients without kneading, using a strong spoon.

Cover (not airtight), and allow the dough to rest at room temperature until it rises and collapses (or flattens on top), approximately 2 hours.

The dough can be used immediately after its initial rise, but is easier to work with when cold. Refrigerate it in a lidded (not airtight) container and use over the next 5 days. The flavor will be best if you wait for at least 24 hours of refrigeration.

On baking day, lightly grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch nonstick loaf pan. Dust the surface of the refrigerated dough with flour and cut off a 2-pound (cantaloupe-size) piece. Dust the piece with more flour and quickly shape in into a ball by stretching the surface of the dough around to the bottom on all four sides, rotating the ball a quarter-turn as you go.

Elongate the ball into an oval and roll out into a rectangle.  Place chopped apples, walnuts and raisins or dried cherries over the rectangle, leaving about 1" free on the edges. Roll the dough into a log starting from the short side and place into the the prepared loaf pan. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap. Allow the loaf to rest for 90 minutes (40 if you are using fresh, unrefrigerated dough).

Thirty minutes before baking time, preheat the over to 350*F.  Brush the bread with the egg wash and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.

Place the loaf on a rack near the center of the oven and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown.

Remove the bread from the pan and allow to cool before slicing.

47 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! But then I love anything apple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples, cherries and brown sugar - Yum-O, I so want to try this one! It looks so good and your photos are just so perfect once again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks fabulous! I'm thinking this will be made this week-thanks so much for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing better than home made bread. Your selections look so good in your mosaic. My husband would love an apple studel bread loaf! I must look into purchasing this book :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can sink my teeth into that slice of buttery toast right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Apple Strudel Bread sounds so good! I love anything with apples! I will have to check out the book! Happy week!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Even the rolling pin is RED!!

    The Apple Struedel Bread looks so delicious - I can imagine it toasted. All the photos are gorgeous as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love to leave dough in the fridge for a few days... I read that it gives it more flavor and is easier to digest... with that apple recipe... I bet it was amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love breads!

    *sigh* and sadly my hinnie is proof!

    I think your mosaic is wonderful -- would be really wonderful blown up on a kitchen wall.

    TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Susan, Bread is my weakness and your apple strudel bread looks amazing. I think I need to get the cookbook, lovely mosaic too, Happy MM, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW...this is making me want to do some baking tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's pretty and oh so yummy all rolled into one. Great mosaic and photos, Happy MM!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, what delicious looking apple strudel bread ... The crown is fantastic ... and I can imagine the wonderful smells coming from you kitchen while it baked.

    Love the mosaic ... the buns look tasty and so does the whole wheat loaf. Cute pickle fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this looks so good. I love apple bread and the mosaic looks like it should be in a cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Susan! I'm just in awe of your creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the apple strudel looks fantastic! I just made the sandwich bread and hamburger buns today...totally thrilled with the outcome! the strudel is next! wooo hooo :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ciao Susan questo strudel mi mette fame!!! molto invitante!!!! ciao e buona settimana!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your apple strudel bread looks delicious. I have never tried to made bread or dough. I think I should try at least. This recipe sounds like a good one to start with.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so talented to make breads from scratch - what a yummy mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  20. OH, my this looks so good! I'm so impressed with all of your baking. I just don't get motivated to do much anymore! But you're making me want to change my mind! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful loaf of bread, Susan. I can imagine how wonderful it smelled while it was baking. Guess I better buy the book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you all, friends! If you do try this bread, I'd love to hear back from you to see how you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks great..I agree the butter would give it a yum yum canola can't..I have that dish..in blue:) Are we surprised?

    One day I will make it..

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  25. The apple strudel bread looks like it came out wonderfully! I hope I have time to get to make it this week. If I do...there will be a lot of peanut butter-smothering of it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's a beautiful loaf! Gorgeous photos! I decided not to make the strudel just the loaf and hamburger buns. Your loaf looks delicious though!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous loaf, Susan! It all looks so good! The strudel looks fantastic! I'm laughing, even your rolling pin is red :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. A great idea for a special loaf for breakfast! It looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, yum! I really like Le Creuset. I have a big pot that I use all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This looks really delicious and like something one would enjoy at any time of day. I wonder if it could be done with non yeasted bread? I suppose those recipes might not have the texture to roll out and then bake. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete
  31. OH MY..I made mini apple pockets and after seeing your loaf now I wish I had made the loaf of bread! And substituting cherries is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oops I forgot to mention your mosaic whic is wonderful!

    What program do you use to make your mosaics?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your pics are beautiful. The bread doesn't look bad either!
    I am so happy I found your blog.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, yes please!

    Lovely bread, yes, but I'll bet it tastes even better! Thanks a lot, you culinary temptress.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great bread! And I love the mosaic you made - a fitting tribute to your awesome bread.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I also used cherries instead of raisins and I used brown sugar. I loved the extra sweetness the cherries gave. Your loaf is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  37. nice breads. Love the look of your loaf

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your bread looks delicious! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love that le creuset loaf pan and the shape that it gives the bread! Your apple strudel bread looks like it turned out wonderfully:D

    ReplyDelete
  40. All your bread looks delicious! Your pictures are fantastic... I am working on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  41. I've been a slow starter with the bread challenges but this one has me motivated. I need to get my dough going! Looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  42. The bread looks wonderful. I think cherries sound better than the raisins--good sub!
    ~Jenny~

    ReplyDelete
  43. I thought I had left a comment much earlier, but I must have failed some how . . . your bread is beautiful. I love the topping and your swirl is perfect. I love the cherry switch- love cherries at my house!

    ReplyDelete
  44. I can't get over that sweet crusty top which is always my favourite thing to eat and the perfect apple filling would be wonderful as some bun filling too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!