Monday, June 1, 2009

Braised Broccoli Rabe with Garlic and Red Pepper


There comes a time of atonement for all calories taken in on a holiday weekend! Today was mine. Was it that huge scoop of chocolate ice cream at the Brewers Game Saturday night or could it have been the cheeseburger? Hmmmm.


Regardless, it was calorie 'pay back' time tonight. I decided I would only eat veggies for dinner. I had a bunch of rapini left in the frig and decided that would be my meal tonight.


Rapini, or Broccoli Rabe, is a favorite of mine. I've always been a big fan of the cruciferous vegetable group and have never tasted one I haven't liked.

My favorite method of preparation is adapted from several recipes. I like rapini garlicky and spicy. If you can't find broccoli rabe or rapini, this recipe would work equally well with regular broccoli,  Just cut into smaller pieces and cut the stalks in half.

This would also make a great side dish for any fish, meat or poultry you plan to serve.

Braised Rapini with Garlic and Red Pepper Flakes

Serves 2 (unless you decide to eat it all yourself)
Printable Recipe

1 bunch rapini, washed and 3-4 inches of stem cut off
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Bring a large stock pot of salted water to boil. Add rapini and cook for 4 minutes. Drain and rinse with very cold water to stop additional cooking. Squeeze out excess moisture. Chop into 2 inch lengths.

In a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat, add 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter and 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. Add chopped garlic and sauté until fragrant and golden, being careful not to burn. Add rapini and cook until butter and olive oil are absorbed, turning frequently. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and continue to sauté until absorbed. Repeat this step.

Add red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and serve immediately.

11 comments:

  1. Huge rapini fan here too:) I am feeling the pinch also.. too much indulgence lately..
    Your photos will inspire others who have not tried this yet..
    Too bad I need pasta w/ my rapini:) I just NEED it:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never had rapini before, Susan, but yours gives me incentive to try it. It looks so good! Great pics!

    Payback isn't so bad when you have a dish like that! Outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that farm fresh veggies are available again I am very happy with a dinner like this. Looks delish, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, so fresh and tasty looking ... I, also, love cruciferous veggies both cooked and raw. I bet you just felt healthier after that meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan - what willpower!! Have never heard of rapini before..usually love greens of any kind, will have to check this out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, friends! It was so good and actually filling. It reminds me of a cross between fresh spinach or kale and broccoli. A wonderful flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire your will power Susan..I couldn't have lasted on just that, even though it looks very good.
    And your clematis are amazing, more so you remember their names..just like in Cheers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! I think it'd work with broccoli, green beans and even red pepper. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, that looks and sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thats a great idea! Veggies and a glass of wine for dinner... course so is a cheeseburger!
    Have a wonderful week :)
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also forgot to tell you that I tried your grilled hotdogs with the cross hatch marks and the ketchup and soy sauce glaze... My family and grandkids BEG for them now... I am always making them for lunch! Thanks!
    Have a wonderful week :)
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!