Sunday, May 3, 2009

Shrimp, Jicama and Mango Salad



Last night, we attended another of our gourmet group gatherings. I always look forward to these events no matter how easy or complicated our recipes may be. Our host and hostess for this event also have a condo in the Florida Keys so the theme for this gourmet dinner was tropical.

I have to say I am not a big jicama fan and rarely use it - but combined with the mango, shrimp and lime and pineapple vinaigrette it gave a delicious crunch and body to the salad!


This salad would be delightful for a summer al fresco dinner! In a larger portions, it would make a wonderful hot summer evening meal.


The recipe:

Shrimp, Jicama and Mango Salad
Recipe adapted from Epicurious
Makes 8 servings

Printable Recipe

4-1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons frozen pineapple juice concentrate, thawed
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
(I added a pinch of sugar to the dressing)

9 cups water
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
3 bay leaves
3 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1-1/2 pound uncooked large shrimp, peeled, deveined, halved lengthwise
3 large mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
2 cups 1/2-inch cubes peeled jicama
1/2 cup chopped red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

8 large Boston lettuce leaves

In a small bowl, whisk lime juice and pineapple juice concentrate. Slowly whisk in oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Bring water, lemon juice, bay leaves, salt and peppercorns to boil in a large stock pot. Reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add shrimp, stir and simmer for about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove and place into a bowl of ice water. Drain and refrigerate. The shrimp can be made 6 hours ahead.

Mix mangoes and next 3 ingredients into shrimp. Pour vinaigrette over; toss to coat. Place 1 lettuce leaf on each of 8 plates. Spoon salad into lettuce cups in equal portions.

Note: Both mango and jicama can be diced and refrigerated 4-6 hours before using.

8 comments:

  1. I envy your group..I really do:) And your salad ..sounds and looks delicious.
    Thanks for taking us along~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, I'm another one who is not a big jicama fan, but if you say it's good in the salad, I have no doubt that it's wonderful.

    Looks very appealing. Maybe the jicama benefits from the acid in the lime juice, lemon juice, mangoes and pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful looking salad once again this time in a real lettuce bowl instead of a red cabbage one ;)

    I would love to try this for a summer luncheon. It does sound refreshing. Your gourmet group sounds so much fun and I love that you share some of the recipes here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That really looks delicious...I dont know if I like jicama, but I would try it!
    Your group sounds like a lot of fun...
    My friends don't like to cook!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I now enjoy jicama, and made a salad for our dinner group last year. I think it's the crunch that I like! I'm saving this recipe for our picnic under the pines this summer. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving all of the salads you've been making! This one looks like a winner to me. I meant to tell you I found Jicama for 79c/lb..better eh? Making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I always admire your salads so much and this one looks like a winner too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks wonderful. I will definitely be serving this salad al fresco...when the sun decides to come out to play. I was looking for some recipes to serve this summer, especilly when my guest come to stay. I'd rather spend my time enjoying my company then cooking in a hot kitchen.
    Eating is always my favorite part.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!