Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chocolate Chiffon Toffee Cake


Yesterday, September 5th, was my youngest daughter's birthday. She and her husband are expecting their first child any day now so when she asked me to make her favorite cake for her birthday, I was happy to oblige.

This recipe came from my good friend, Barbara, years ago. I've tried to find it on the internet but have yet to find the exact recipe.


The recipe begins with a chocolate chiffon cake which is tall, moist and very light.


For some reason, my cake rose beautifully yesterday (after the first one flopped -which was my error in reading the recipe). Those things still happen once in a while! Never put 3 tablespoons of baking powder in a recipe when it only calls for 3 teaspoons!


The cake is then cut into layers and filled with fudge-flavored whipped cream and chocolate toffee bits.


I have to admit, it's one of my favorite cakes too :)

 
Barbara's Chocolate Chiffon Toffee Cake
Printable Recipe

Serves 12

3/4 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cocoa
1-3/4 cups sifted cake flour
1-3/4 cups sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
7 egg yolks, unbeaten
1 tsp vanilla

7 egg whites
½ tsp cream of tartar

Combine hot water and cocoa and let cool. Sift together dry ingredients. Make a well and add oil, egg yolks, cooled cocoa mixture and vanilla. Beat until smooth. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff adding cream of tartar. Pour egg yolk mixture in a thin stream onto entire surface of egg whites, gently cutting and folding with spatula until completely blended. Pour into ungreased 10” tube pan. Bake at 325 for 55 minutes and then at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Invert until completely cool. Run a long, sharp knife around sides of tube pan and invert onto a work surface. Split horizontally into 2-3 layers. Fill and frost with chocolate topping recipe.

Chocolate Topping-Filling (I double this recipe)

1 pint whipping cream
12 ounce package milk chocolate Heath bits (reserving 1/4 cup for sprinkling on top of cake)
1 16-17 oz jar rich fudge topping such as Dove or Smuckers

Whip whipping cream until very stiff. Fold in other ingredients and frost cake layers. Refrigerate cake after frosting.

Can be frozen.

19 comments:

  1. WOW, that looks wonderful, and sounds delicious!!

    I hope you had a wonderful celebration, and we all await the safe delivery of your precious grandchild..
    Happy Birthday, L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious -- you don't her too much about chiffon cakes any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, that looks fantastic! and when you were describing it the other day, I was hoping you'd post a pic and the recipe on the blog! You sure do know how to celebrate, that cake looks soooooo good! Is it like a sponge cake? it looks so light.

    Happy Birthday to L :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, Happy Belated Birthday to your DD. I'm sure all of you are more than ready to have that baby born so you can snuggle and celebrate.

    My gosh! That is one GORGEOUS cake, I can alost imagine how delicious it must taste ~ no wonder it is her favorite.

    Best wishes for a happy baby and an easy time of it for the new mama in your family! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why your daughter loves the cake, Susan. It is gorgeous and yours is SO high. The cake is definitely a beauty. Isn't wonderful when our children like our favorite cakes? It's a wonderful reason (excuse) to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sublime..:) Our lives are so parallel right now:)

    Soon:)

    That's a gorgeous cake Nana2Be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so good. Happy Birthday to your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This cake makes my mouth water....beautiful photos and the recipe seems pretty easy...think I'll try it soon...
    Happy birthday to your daughter and grandbaby to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cake! I think it may become a favorite of mine also!!
    Tell Lindsey we're all waiting...lol... as if she isn't!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, glad Lindsay got to enjoy her slice of cake at home. Would you have taken a slice to the hospital? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful cake! Chocolate and toffee...what is not to like?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday to your little girl! What a lucky girl to have THIS cake! It looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two of my favorite flavors together! I can't wait to try this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for for your comments and birthday wishes for my daughter!

    Carol, yes, the texture is like a sponge cake - very light.

    If any of you ever try this recipe, please let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with everyone else - this sounds WONDERFUL! I bookmarked it for the future - we have no birthdays coming up but I am sure I can find a good excuse to make this one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. An absolutely-decadent cake to celebrate a birthday, or any occasion. I mean, who needs a reason to nibble on chocolate.

    Belated Birthday Wishes to your daughter. Btw, I'm also waiting for the baby to arrive, so I can only imagine how you must be feeling. Breeeath.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This really is a gorgeous cake! Sorry for being so late commenting. I can't believe how behind I've gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this cake a few days ago and it is SUBLIME. Wow, what a delightul cake. Light and so tasty. The cake is moist yet light and fluffy, and the whipped cream frosting (which holds very at room temperature for several hours, by the way) seems to have the same silky texture as swiss buttercream. This is definitely a keeper. Next time though, I may add some orange zest to the cake and/or frosting because I have always liked the combination of orange and zest. This time, I also added 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the frosting. Thanks for sharing. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for letting me know, Regine! This is one of my family's favorite cakes. The addition or orange zest sounds delicious too.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!