Thursday, May 28, 2009

Cilantro Potato Salad ~

 
A sure sign of the outdoor grilling season is potato salad! I was recently given this new and very tasty potato salad recipe by a friend who said she got it from a clerk in the deli of a well-known department store. It may be one of those 'clones' of well-known recipe, but all I know it that it tastes wonderful!



I found this interesting bit of potato salad history:

Potatoes (a new world food) were introduced to Europe by Spanish explorers in the 16th century. By the end of the century many countries had adopted this new vegetable and integrated it into their cuisines. Preparation methods and recipes were developed according to local culinary traditions. About potato history.

Arnold Shircliffe, executive chef of Chicago's legendary Edgewater Beach Hotel, traced the origin of the potato salad to the 16th century. These are his notes:


"Early potato salad: John Gerrard in 1597 writes about potatoes and their virtues and said that "they are sometimes boiled and sopped in wine, by others boiled with prunes, and likewise others dress them (after roasting them in the ashes) in oil, vinegar and salt, every man according to his own taste. However they be dressed, they comfort, nourish and strengthen the body." This is one of the first potato salads mentioned in any book."  ---Edgewater Beach Hotel Salad Book, Arnold Shircliffe [Hotel Monthly Press:Evanston IL] 1928 (p. 231)

Potato salad-type recipes were introduced to America by European settlers, who again adapted traditional foods to local ingredients. This accounts for regional potato salad variations in the United States. Potato salad, as we know it today, became popular in the second half of the 19th century. Cold potato salads evolved from British and French recipes. Warm potato salads followed the German preference for hot vinegar and bacon dressings served over vegetables.


If you like cilantro and a potato salad with a little 'kick', you will enjoy this!

Cilantro Potato Salad

Printable Recipe

Will serve at least 10

4 lbs small red potatoes, quartered and boiled
½ cup chopped cilantro
2 tsp minced garlic
8 oz chopped onion (red or green)
1 cup celery, finely chopped

2 cups mayo (I use less)
1-1/3 T Essence of Emeril spice*
1/3 T kosher salt
2 tsp ground black pepper

Prepare the first five ingredients and add to a large bowl.  Mix together the spices and add to the mayonnaise.  Add the mayo mixture to the potato mixture in the bowl and toss together thoroughly. 
Refrigerate until chilled.  This salad also tastes great right after it's made!

*You can buy Essence of Emeril in the store but if you'd like to make your own, the recipe can be found here.

18 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Cilantro is one of my all time favorites. I've never heard of it used in potato salad and it sounds wonderful.
    Thank you for sharing the recipe with us.

    You have gorgeous RED art pieces. Very vibrant and warm.

    ~Happy FYRED Day!
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You used RED potatoes! So that counts too!

    Looks delicious and you know you are THE lady in red!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of red, I think of you Susan. Gorgeous art! I have been craving potato salad (really, really craving). DH despises it, so I rarely make it. But I will, and share with the neighbors if I have to :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have Emeril's Essence Kicking it up a notch here somewhere:) I LOVE potato salad..thanks for this new recipe..Me too I think of you when I see RED:)Beaux Reds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another reader here who thinks of you when they see red ;)

    What an interesting sounding potato salad...did you say BAM when you first tasted it? (my take on a little Emeril humor there) - I love the odes to a tuber and no one can flaunt their reds like you. Beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice combo post, Susan ... I'm guessing that everyday is Flaunt your Red for you. :)

    Beautiful artwork, and I appreciate your history lessons. Thanks for taking the time and effort to present us with a little bit of culinary history.

    I've made the same cold potato salad and German potato salad for years. The one you posted sounds very tasty. Interesting with the cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful artwork! And your potato salad sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, goodness, you are making me hungry...it looks so good.

    Lovely reds, too!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. That potato salad looks so yummy! I happen to love cilantro. In fact one of my favorite snacks is sliced radishes mixed with cilantro...yummy!
    Okay, now I'm hungry.
    Enjoy your day. I'm off to find food...lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was very nice discovering your blog today! I am enjoying looking around. You have great recipes. Have a nice weekend! Twyla

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always love your recipes...this sounds sooo yummy!!!

    Your artwork is stunning...I am so glad you share this with us!!! Wonderful RED post!!!

    Have a great FYR Friday!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. yep, you are definitely the Lady in red for me, too! Potato salad looks great! Never thought to put cilantro in, you definitely kicked it up a notch :) Beautiful artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That potato salad looks good! I like the sound of the cilantro!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The adding of cilantro to the potato salad is a nice change from the conventional recipe.
    The Summer BBQ wouldn't be complete without a delicious potato salad.

    Sweet wishes,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very good! But I still had to add mustard and eggs, to keep me happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me :) Thanks for letting me know you tried it!

      Delete
  16. I just saw this on the right side of your blog this morning. How did I miss this! Love, love, love cilantro and your salad is so pretty too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!