Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Chili Blanco Especial


 
A fiesta in a bowl! This delicious recipe comes from one of my favorite cookbooks - Creme de Colorado. This is by no means a new cookbook - I've owned it since the early '90s when we used to travel to Colorado on family ski trips with our daughters. Some of the recipes in this cookbook are still some of my favorites.

I like to include this recipe at least once in my winter soup and stew rotation. My husband says it has just the right amount of 'bite'.  I like to add lots of avocado to my bowl!


Chili Blanco Especial

Serve 8

1 pound dry White Northern beans
5-1/4 cups chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large white onion, chopped
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1 7-ounce can diced green chilies
5 cups diced cooked chicken breast
1-3/4 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon diced jalapeño pepper (optional)
8 flour tortillas

My Notes: I like to use chicken stock for an even more full-bodied flavor. I also prefer fire-roasted green chilies for a nice, smokey taste. I usually use the 'quick soak' method on the package of beans rather than soaking them overnight.

Soak beans in water to cover for 24 hours; drain.

In crock pot or large kettle, combine beans, 5-1/4 cups chicken broth, garlic, onion, white pepper, salt, oregano, cumin and cloves. Simmer covered for at least 5 hours until beans are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in green chilies, diced chicken and 1-3/4 cups chicken broth. For hotter taste, add jalapeño. Cover and simmer for 1 hour. To serve, line each bowl with 1 flour tortilla. Spoon in chili and serve with all condiments for a very special chili.

Flavors are enhanced when this chili is made 1 day ahead.

Serve with any of the following condiments:

Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Sliced black olives
Chunky salsa or diced tomato
Sour cream
Diced avocado
Wedge of lime
Chopped cilantro

8 comments:

  1. This sounds so good and the flavors are similiar to a "white chili" recipe I make so I know I would love it. I'll be copying this one for sure.

    Does the tortilla get soggy? I have never heard of this before, the whole idea sounds like a great souper bowl party idea...chili bar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks and sounds delish..especially in those darling red cabbage bowls!! All these soups, stews, chilis are perfect for this cold weather...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds amazing! Love the flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. susan it just sounds so good, but its your pics that push it over the top! i love the flour tortilla idea~

    cute new clock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea for Colorado! (That's where I'm from, even if I don't live there at the moment.) My mom has that book, actually she has all the Junior League of CO books, and they're all pretty great. This chili looks seriously good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a great recipe, Susan! Thanks for the reminder, I have to make it, it was such a big hit here every time! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Marsha, Barb, PigPig, Jain, Andrea and Carol! It is a wonderful recipe.

    Yes, the tortilla gets slightly soggy, Marsha, but it tastes great with soup flavors soaked in!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!