Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Whole Wheat Hamburgers Buns for the Bread Machine



For many of us, getting together on Mother's Day means having a picnic or barbecue, weather permitting (fingers crossed as that's what our plans are).  That will mean hamburgers, bratwurst, chicken breast, etc. on the grill.  Today, I have a delicious and very easy recipe for hamburger or hot dog buns using your bread machine.  If you don't have one, I'm sure you can make these by mixing the ingredients by hand and kneading the dough. These are definitely worth a 5 star rating!
 

I put off buying my bread machine for years but I'm so glad I finally took the plunge.  I use the 'dough' setting so often!  I know I've bragged out my bread machine before, but it is relatively inexpensive and a real workhorse and time-saver for me!


After the dough cycle is finished, the dough formed into balls and and allowed to rise until doubled in size under plastic wrap.  Then, I like to brush them with an egg wash and sprinkle them with sesame seeds before baking.


We used the first batch I made for some pulled pork shoulder that I had in the freezer and my husband commented on how delicious the buns were!  The recipe calls for all shortening, which makes them super delicious and our favorite, but I have also made them with half shortening and half butter with good results also.  Your choice! 


Whether you spend Mother's Day with family, friends, furbabies or plant babies, I wish you all a wonderful, spring day this Sunday!

Whole Wheat Hamburger or Hot Dog Buns

Adapted from Bread Machine Magic
Printable Recipe

This recipe will yield either 10 hamburger buns or 12 hot dog buns (or make some of each!)

1 cup water
1 egg
1/4 cup shortening, such as Crisco (or use 2 tablespoons shortening and 2 tablespoons butter)
1 cup whole wheat flour (I use King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour)
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 envelope rapid-rise or quick-rising yeast (2-1/2 oz)
3⁄4 teaspoon salt
1⁄4 cup sugar

1 small egg whisked with 1 tablespoon water for egg wash (optional)
Sesame or poppy seeds (optional)

Place all ingredients in bread pan, according the your machine's directions.  For my machine, I put the liquid ingredients in first, followed by the dry ingredients.  Select the Dough setting and start the machine.  When the dough cycle has completed, turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Cut the dough into individual pieces - 10 pieces for hamburger buns or 12 pieces for hot dog buns. I like to weigh each piece of dough on a digital scale to get them the same size - approximately 2 to 2-1/2 ounces each.  Tuck the outsides under and gently form into balls for buns or shape into logs for hot dog buns.  Hamburger buns should be flattened slightly after forming. Here is a good tutorial on how to shape hot dog buns:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPwwXZ0vgGk

Place the formed buns on a silipat or parchment-lined baking sheet and cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 to 45 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400F about 10-12 minutes before the buns are finished rising.
If desired, brush the buns with an egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.

Bake buns in preheated 400°F oven and bake buns for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown. Time may vary depending on your oven.

Remove from oven and cool on racks. These will keep a few days in the refrigerator or freeze up to a month frozen in a single layer in freezer bags.

Note:  If you don't have a bread machine but have a stand mixer with dough hook, you can use the ingredients in this recipe and follow the directions on the King Arthur website to mix the dough and continue with this recipe after the first rise:   http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/05/16/countdown-to-summer-beautiful-burger-buns/

57 comments:

  1. I love our workhorse..
    And Ricardo w/out;)
    They are beautiful!Pinning for certain.

    THis time of year is a miracle.
    I am going to repeat to you what I mentioned elsewhere..and found elsewhere:)

    Spring is the time of year when it is summer in the sun and winter is in the shade:) C.Dickens~
    Loved it..knew you would too.
    Incredible weather this week..
    but no blooms lie you yet my dear..just anemones.. scillas ..jonquils..pulmonaria.
    Pretty pretty [ics..
    So we do MD differently now..I guess the men just never offered to host..so we 3 girls take the day before ..Sat..and leave around 10..head for that mecca of consumerism..and we have lunch and shop together...all day;)
    The Sunday is w/ kidlets.
    Happy Mother's day Susan:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that saying! I also like Mark Twain's "If you don't like the weather (wherever you live) now, just wait 5 minutes." I also love what you and your girls do on Mother's Day! My SIL offered to cook for us - Lindsay wants hamburgers on the grill :) Have fun on Saturday and Sunday! Happy Mother's Day to you too, Monique!

      Delete
  2. You have beautiful buns Susan - oops that sounded funny - but it's true! Hope you have a lovely mother's day too - love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-Ha! I'd rather have beautiful buns than lovely rolls - LOL. Thank you and Happy Mother's Day to you, Tricia!

      Delete
  3. Susan , I love your recipe for the Whole Wheat Hamburger buns , the look so good but I don't have a bread machine, do you know how I can make this recipe in a kitchen aid mixer.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosa! To make these with a stand mixer just use these ingredients and follow the directions that King Arthur has on their website for making hamburger buns here: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2011/05/16/countdown-to-summer-beautiful-burger-buns/. I'll add that to the recipe for others!

      Delete
  4. Bookmarked! I've been using my bread machine weekly for my daily raisin toast, as with everything, it's well worth the purchase if you use it! Your rolls are beautiful Susan, I'm thinking about burgers one Sunday and might just add them to the menu. Happy Cinco de Mayo:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true about the bread machine and I love mine too. I need to find your raisin toast recipe :) I hope you try these and enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. Oh Susan, these wholewheat hamburger buns look so good...light and fluffy...thanks for testing the recipe...
    Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Juliana! - I love your bread recipes and have made several of them.

      Delete
  6. Those burger buns look so soft that I can't believe they were made with wholewheat. Well done, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I am going to confess that I have never taken the time to make burger buns. Each grilling season, I plan on it but don't ;o) I'm putting these buns on my calendar. LOL Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love them, Debbie! Try them some weekend when you're not too busy :)

      Delete
  8. A good practical recipe for grilling fun. I love my bread machine for the dough setting, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vee! It's the best time saver if you like to make your own bread.

      Delete
  9. These look so good I could go for one right now, even without the hamburger :-)
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit I did the same thing but it was my job as taste-tester :) Thank you, Amalia!

      Delete
  10. I wish you a very happy Mother's Day dear Susan, your photos are so lovely ! A spring hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chiara, for the sweet wishes :) A hug for you!

      Delete
  11. wow,bellissimi,morbidi,soffici,perfetti,brava

    ReplyDelete
  12. happy mothers day have a special weekend adore your flowers

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are gorgeous buns! I have yet to buy a bread machine, but I must admit it looks very handy! Your flowers are gorgeous. The rabbits eat all of mine. And this weekend I heard we might have snow! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow? Fingers crossed that doesn't happen! Thank you, Abbe!

      Delete
  14. Nothing smells better than fresh baked bread...I can imagine how the aroma must be from looking at your beautiful pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those buns are perfect little beauties, Susan. And thanks for posting the link for those of us with no bread machines. I don't make as much bread as I used to and long since gave my machine away. But there's nothing like freshly made buns for grilled burgers.
    Love your spring flowers....life in Florida is so different, garden and flower-wise, so it's such a pleasure to see spring blooms from the north country. I do miss that from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having to live without our winter defitnitly has its advantages :). Thank you, Barbara!

      Delete
  16. And Happy Mother's Day, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are beautiful! Look like they came from the best bakery in town! I don't use my bread machine often enough. I love it and I've had it for years!!

    I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so beautiful! I love home made buns! They make such a difference. May you have a wonderful Mother's Day celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are gorgeous buns!! Way better than anything you can get at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Susan, This recipe looks wonderful. I will try it later today. I make bread in my trusty old bread machine every week .
    Dahlianut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda! So glad you're going to try it. We thought they were great. I have five trays of dahlias started and hoping for 50 degree nights to get them in the ground :)

      Delete
  21. These are beautiful and sound wonderful. I love the gorgeous golden outside. They look like they come from a fine bakery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That optional egg wash makes them so nice and shiny :) Thank you, Chris!

      Delete
  22. I didn't get in from yard work till later, so didn't get the trusty old B Machine going till late. They didn't come out of the oven in time for dinner. But they were so easy to make, and fill the house with that bread aroma. This recipe is going right next to my Moomies recipe. Thank-you.

    Dahlianut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! So glad to see you :) I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

      Delete
  23. These look amazing Susan, I have to make those but I dont have a bread machine I will try the other link you say!
    Thnaks by this recipe.
    Happy Mother's day dear Susan, have a wonderful day!!

    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the other method works for you, Gloria! Happy Mothers Day to you too. Hugs.

      Delete
  24. I love this wonderful bread buns, Susan! I love homemade bread and I work a lot for it :)
    Your recipe will be precious for me!
    Nice to connect with you and with your amazing blog!
    a big hug,
    Maria Grazia

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susan this bread looks wonderful and I must give it a try.
    I don't have a bead machine but will try to prepare it in the oven. Will let you know how it turned out.
    The flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  26. These are such perfectly made buns Susan! Happy belated Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm on the lookout for a second hand bread machine, Susan, as the community I live in has a "buy and sell" facebook page and they are often offered for sale I'd like to try this recipe if I ever find one. I'm sure the flavor of these buns are so much better than store bought!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh Susan, what have you done to me?? I just made the second batch of these, they are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, Linda :-) We love them too. I'm just like you - when I find a recipe I really like I can't stop making it.

      Delete
  29. You know Susan, when I was in grad school, I used to bake bread in an ancient bread machine given to me by my mother who never used it. I fell in love with the gadget and then lost the darn instructions. What should I do? I am so into whole wheat bread anything now for health reasons and simply cannot imagine how wonderful these homemade buns must taste! Let me know what to do if you have a minute. Thank you for inspiring me to bake bread again!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  30. I’m wondering about the egg. Does it go in the bread mix or is for egg wash? I hope the egg wash as I’m already the kneading process in my breadmaker. Thanks, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Judy, the first egg does goes into the dough mixture. Let me know how they turn out without the egg in the dough!

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!