Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Bruffins with Ham and Cheese


Easter idea alert!

First, it was Cruffins, a flaky croissant-like muffin (click here for my post on Cruffins from last year) that became immensely popular in bakeries and cafes and now it's Bruffins!  Bruffins are muffins made from brioche dough and filled with any savory filling that sounds good to you.  Basically, it's breakfast, brunch or lunch that you can eat on the go.


For my first attempt at making them, I picked a simple filling of lean, diced, smoked ham and diced sharp Wisconsin cheddar cheese.  The sweet brioche dough and the savory filling were a delicious combination! After my husband ate two, there was a request for a third.  'These are good!', he said.


Two days ahead of time, you will need to get your brioche dough started.  You'll need a very large bowl, jar or container with a lid.  I used a large cracker jar that I bought a Target.  I decided on the brioche dough recipe from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day as I've made it before.  It's easy, stores well in the frig and is delicious!  The next day, pull out a chunk of dough (I took out a 1-pound piece which I weighed on my digital kitchen scale).  The dough is rolled on on a very well-floured surface and the filling is added.  It's folded over like a letter and rolled again, then cut into strips which are twisted and placed (artfully or not) into muffin cups or greased muffin tins to rise. 


These ham and cheese Bruffins would be perfect for a simple Easter brunch buffet.  They would also be a great way to use the left-over ham from your Easter dinner. You can make them a day ahead, refrigerate them and them simply pop them in the oven to warm gently before serving.  Let the Oohs and Aahs roll! 



"I'm so tired!  Hiding all of those Easter eggs is exhausting!"
"You think you're tired, I had to lay all of them!"



Have you tried the unbreakable eggs from Walmart yet?  They are great for kids and crafting! They dye just like regular eggs and you never have to worry about breaks and cracks with little ones.  We had our two oldest grandsons for a sleep over recently and we colored eggs together ♥ 

Hope all of you who celebrate, have a very Happy Easter!

Bruffins with Ham and Cheese


Brioche dough (makes about 4 loaves) - Recipe can be cut in half - half recipe ingredients in parentheses.

1 1/2 cups (3/4 cup) lukewarm water
1 tablespoon (1-1/2 teaspoons) Active Dry, or Quick-Rise yeast
1 to 1 1/2 tablespoons (1-1/2 to 1-3/4 teaspoons)  kosher salt
8 (4) large eggs at room temperature, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (1/4 cup) honey
1 1/2 cups or 3 sticks (3/4 cup or 1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted
7 1/2 cups (3-3/4 cups) unbleached all-purpose flour

For the Bruffins (makes 8)

1 pound of brioche dough
3 ounces of diced smoked ham
3 ounces of diced sharp cheddar cheese
1 small egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water for the egg wash
8 pretty muffin liners, if desired

Mix the yeast, salt, eggs honey and melted butter with the water in a 5-quart bowl, or lidded (not airtight) food container.

Mix in the flour, using a spoon until all of the flour is incorporated but do not knead.

Cover (not airtight), and allow to sit at room temperature for about 2-2-1/2 hours. (If you use cold eggs the initial rise can be very slow. Using eggs that have come to room temperature helps.)

Refrigerate the dough overnight and use over the next five days. The dough can be frozen in 1 pound portions for 4 weeks.

On baking day (or when the dough has chilled for 8–12 hours), prepare two 12-muffin pans by spraying them with baking spray or your may use muffin liners. These rise quite a bit so it's best to use every-other muffin space, if possible.

Using floured hands, remove a 1 pound portion of brioche dough from the container (about the size of a cantaloupe melon).

Flour a work surface very well and turn the dough out onto it and dust the dough with more flour. It can be quite sticky. Roll or pat the dough into a rectangle, approximately 8 x 16" and about 1/2" thick. Add more flour if the dough sticks to the work surface.

Spread the diced cheese and ham evenly over the rectangle and then press them lightly into the dough. Fold the top third of the dough over the middle (your may need a large, floured spatula for this if the dough stick), then fold the bottom third up into a letter fold. Press the edges to seal them and roll the dough into another rectangle, about 3/4" thick.

With a knife or pizza cutter, cut along the short side to make 8 even strips. You may bake any scrapes on a baking sheet.

Take each strip and twist the ends in opposite directions a few times, then pick up middle of the strip with one hand and the ends with the other, lay the ends into the muffin cup first, laying down the middle on top with a another gentle twist.

Cover the muffin pans lightly with plastic wrap and let rest for about 1 1/2–2 hours or until doubled in volume.

About 30 minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 375°.

Whisk together the egg wash and gently brush over the tops of the muffins.

Bake for about 20-25 minutes, switching racks and rotating the muffin pans for even baking. Baking time with vary depending on your oven.

Cool in the pans on wire racks for about 10 minutes. Serve immediately or cool completely and refrigerate in a covered container. The muffins will keep refrigerated for about three days. Chilled muffins can be rewarmed in a 300 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

Left-over dough can be used to make brioche bread, muffins or sandwich buns. Filling with cinnamon sugar will make a delicious sweet treat.

Inspired by an article on Bruffins in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel and Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day

64 comments:

  1. Oh my, but they sound delicious. I have never made brioche but would like to try. It is my favourite treat at a local cafe - simple brioche with a cardamon 'touch' and lovely granular sugar on top. No butter, no jam necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that great idea, H! I'm going to try adding a 'touch' of cardamom and granular sugar to some of my remaining brioche dough.

      Delete
  2. These sound delicious! And, so easy to eat (one or more)!! Sweet photo of the newest little boy in your life. Happy Easter!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That are really good, Bonnie! Thanks so much and Happy Easter to you too!

      Delete
  3. Sounds complicated for me, but delicious. Always something new. I loved seeing your Easter decorations, too. No, have never seen the eggs you describe, but haven't been shopping lately. Painting Easter eggs with the grands sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, just a little advance planning. I have purchased the eggs for the past 3-4 years at Walmart but I haven't look for them this year so I hope they still carry them. Thanks, Vee!

      Delete
  4. Looks so delicious! Happy Easter!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Susan, looks like you make Easter very special, never heard of unbreakable eggs, will have to see if they still carry them.

    Your bruffins are adorable, I love savory foods like this. Happy Easter to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cheri! Hope they still carry the eggs - they're fun to play with and will last for years. Happy Easter!

      Delete
  6. Oh Bo..stealing the easter limelight:)♥
    These look fantastic..I remember your cruffins:)
    I want to try these..all your Easter decor is adorable.. w/ the MC so right..right?

    Have not seen those eggs...will look..hmm maybe too late now..

    Happy easter dear Susan!

    Ahem..big day in 2 days:)♥
    I am not breathing a word;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does, doesn't he :-) The bruffins are so good and I'm thinking of so many other ways to make them already. If you have Walmart nearby, look for them right after Easter, maybe even the day before. Half price = cha-ching! Thank you, Dear Monique. Happy Easter to you and your wonderful family. Shhhh :-)))

      Delete
  7. I've made the ABin5 Brioche and it's very good! Your Bruffins sound like a wonderful Easter Monday Breakfast. Happy Easter Susan, have fun with the kids:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Lynn! That's why I picked the ABin5 because it's so good ;) Happy Easter to you and your boys!

      Delete
  8. Bruffins..what a cute name !Happy Easter to you and your wonderful family my dear Susan, a very warm hug from Italy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too :) Brioche + muffin = Bruffin! Happy Easter, Dear Chiara. Warm Easter hugs from Wisconsin ♥

      Delete
  9. Oh these sound amazing! Bruffins - how cool! Love the colored Easter eggs especially since you had help from your grandsons. Love your photos and your Iris are blooming! Yeah spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia! Having grandchildren makes all holidays more meaningful as you know :) Yes, the very early iris are blooming. Always the first along with crocus and scilla. Love this time of year (although we had a little sleet today)!

      Delete
  10. I will have leftover ham and cheese after Easter, and this sounds like a delicious way to use those leftovers, Susan. I'm thinking I could also freeze some for future breakfasts when I'm very busy. My granddaughter is coming over tomorrow to help me dye eggs....she is excited! I will look for the unbreakable eggs for next year. Have a very happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think freezing some is a great idea, Pat! Have fun with your granddaughter ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh, those look so good, Susan! Your compote is the perfect vessel for all the colorful eggs. I used the eggs from WM...they are great.
    Have a Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look seriously delicious! You make the whole house so festive, Susan.
    Have a great Easter holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! That's what happens when you have grandchildren :) Happy Easter to you also!

      Delete
  13. I have actually made brioche and I even have your pretty liners, but now I am anxious to make your savory version for my peeps that prefer savory to sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're good to go, Madonna! Hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  14. Susan, your house looks beautifully festive! I've made the ABin5 Brioche and it's very good and your bruffins sound wonderful. Happy Easter to you and your family Susan! With your grands and the newest sweet Bo :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie! I hope you have a wonderful Easter too with your new little Xavier :)

      Delete
  15. I could eat about 10 of these right now. Great idea. And your decorations are adorable and gorgeous all at the same time. Have a lovely Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea Ann :) You could make them in mini muffin cups too, then they wouldn't be so bad! Happy Easter to you too, Lea Ann.

      Delete
  16. Susan, these bruffins sound and look awesome...I have the book, but never tried making the brioche dough...and yes, with all the leftover ham, this rolls, I mean bruffins will be just perfect.
    Thank you so much for sharing such a great post...I love all the pictures...Happy Easter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brioche dough is wonderful, Juliana. Give it a try! There are so many delicious sweet and savory ways to use it. Thank you :)

      Delete
  17. These bruffins sound fabulous. Loving all your cute Easter decorations! We did used to color eggs as kids. Then my mom used them in the chopped liver! LOL! Have a great holiday, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had good chopped liver in ages, Abbe! Now I wish I would have bought some chicken livers at the store this morning ;) Thank you!

      Delete
  18. oh my word yes bruffins!!!!!! This is immense news and is happening in my kitchen this weekend! Genius. What a flash of inspiration. Happy Easter xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same excitement when I first saw the idea, Dom :) Thanks so much and hope you enjoy them as much as we did!

      Delete
  19. Susan these look absolutely delicious !!
    Happy Easter dear Susan !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who knew there were unbreakable eggs? But then no egg salad. These look perfect for Easter brunch. Happy Easter to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha, so true. They are great for little boys who are less than gentle though :) Thank you, Julie!

      Delete
  21. The bruffins look delicious and so beautifully styled. I like new foods with lovely names. Happy Easter!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, everything looks so pretty. I wish I was spending Easter at your house Susan. Your bruffins sound and look delicious and your presentation is so gorgeous. Happy Easter to you and your family.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sam! Hope you had a wonderful Easter as well!

      Delete
  23. Your Easter decorations are adorable Susan. There was no time to decorate this year or fix a proper Easter dinner. Didn't even visit with the Grands. Next year we must be settled and not traveling from Florida to NC on Good Friday. Your little Bo is adorable. Anxious to hear what is going on with Monique and the big secret. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things will settle down for you, eventually, Penny. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  24. By the way, your Bruffins are gorgeous. Want to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to try them with different fillings now that I know how good they are :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  25. Ha, ha, love the conversation between the bunny and chick! Hope you had a great Easter, Susan! The bruffins look delicious and the flowers are gorgeous! But, the baby is the best, he's adorable! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just love your photos, Susan! And those bruffins? Yummy on the tummy.
    Soooo impressed with your egg decorating. I'm a loss in that department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were yummy, Barbara ;) Thanks so much! Love your new avatar too.

      Delete
  27. I always love messing around and fusing recipes. This is a fabulous idea Susan and i wish I had couple of those now that I am at work!

    ReplyDelete
  28. These Bruffins look seriously delicious and I just love the name! Fantastic pictures! I hope your Easter Sunday was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. So much great stuff in this post --- I need to try these bruffins asap!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love learning something new all of the time in the kitchen and you sure satisfied that desire with your "bruins". So clever. Love the delightful presentation and ALL of your Easter decor is simply beautiful! I will try your recipe as soon as I can!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These look positively delicious, Susan! I could certainly eat ALOT of them:) I also love your black and white checks - I'm obsessed with that pattern - Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I cannot believe that no kneading is needed for the brioche! Definitely have to give them a try, they look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  33. these look wonderful and fun to make, love your flowers :0)

    ReplyDelete
  34. These look SO GOOD! Funnily enough I've just posted about the bruffins I tried in New York, so now I'll have to try them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm late to the party in so many ways as I missed this post last month, haven't heard of bruffins or non breakable eggs that you can dye. The bruffins have to be delicious and wouldn't last long at a meal. Love all your sweet photos, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yay for Spring birthdays. I happen to have one of those too. Early April. I've made Spring rolls but they've never looked as perfect as yours. And good to know about that cilanto, but I probably wouldn't have picked it off. Love that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's annoying that I can't print your recipes without first signing up for a google account. Please un-subscribe me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you are having trouble printing my recipes. Have you tried copying and pasting? I do that for many things I wish to save. I'm sorry I can't unsubscribe you because I don't know who you are (Anonyous) but you can click unsubscribe in the emails that you receive.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!