Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Apple Cranberry Almond Streusel Cake


I'm still working on satisfying my autumn cravings!  After seeing this cake on Pinterest recently, I was taken by the creamy texture of this coffee cake dotted with bright red cranberries.  


When I found the recipe and read the list of ingredients there weren't even any almonds in it!  Just a tiny bit of almond extract.  So, I made a few changes and added some chopped almonds to the streusel topping and also added some chopped apples to the cranberries in the filling.


The result was a wonderfully delicious fall dessert - perfect for snacking on any time of day! Actually, I've been snacking on it for several days so I know it keeps well covered and refrigerated.

If you don't like cranberries (growing up in Wisconsin, it's in your DNA), you could substitute reconstituted dried cherries.  I like to reconstitute dried cherries in a little Kirsch liqueur but Triple Sec or Grand Marnier would also make good reconstituting liquids as well as plain orange juice.


A little sprinkle of powdered sugar, slice and enjoy!  The generous amount of sour cream in this recipe creates a moist, almost creamy texture.  I found I had to bake it slightly longer. This would make a delicious dessert for a holiday brunch! 


As October draws to a close, we are surrounded by a sea of yellow, which means that soon the trees will be bare. I can't complain, it's been a beautiful October - one of the nicest I can remember. 
 

Cranberry Apple Almond-Streusel Cake

Printable Recipe

Serves 12 or More

Note: I used a 9-inch spring-form pan with 3" sides. You could also use a 10" spring-form pan with 2" sides.

Cake:

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used half white whole-wheat flour)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1-1/2 cups sour cream
2 cups fresh cranberries, rinse and dried
1 cup (1 large) apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch dice
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 heaping teaspoon flour

Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup chopped almonds (I used slivered almonds and chopped them coarsely)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter the pan or spray with Baking Spray such as Bakers Joy

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder (be sure it's fresh). Set aside.

In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light. Add the eggs, one at a time, until blended. Add the extracts and sour cream and mix together. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined.

In a small bowl, toss the cranberries and apple chunks and toss with the sugar and flour. Fold the fruit into the batter.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan.

To make the streusel, place all ingredients into a medium bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers or pastry cutter until everything is blended and crumbly. Sprinkle over the batter in the pan and level with your fingers.

Bake the cake until golden brown, approximately 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick insert in the center comes out clean. Note: My cake took slightly longer because I used a deeper pan. Cool in the pan on a rack for about 30 minutes and remove the side of the spring-form pan.

48 comments:

  1. One of the nicest I remember~Moi aussi!
    I met a man at the lake..a baby in the stroller..I looked up from the milk pods and said:"Isn't it gorgeous"?
    With a beautiful Downtown Abbey accent he responded that today would be the definition of a perfect Autumn Day in the Oxford dictionary..♥
    Smitten I was.. instantaneously.
    I know I will love this cake..and I see why we are both head over heels in love w/ where we live.
    I like that nana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see what November has in store for us! I would l to have heard his accent :).

      Delete
  2. lovely pics Susan ! Your cake is a comfort food ,gorgeous ! Have a nice day, a warm hug

    ReplyDelete
  3. What gorgeous fall photos! The colors are fantastic. We're having a good bit of rain but no worries :) Love this cake and love your changes. The texture and apple chunks looks wonderful. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing colours and those Fall pictures are sensational, Susan. I am a super fan of anything with streusel. The use of fresh cranberries makes this cake esp. beautiful and tempting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! We loved the almond streusel very much.

      Delete
  5. Lots of seasonal flavors here Susan! I have a strong cuppa, wish I had a slice to go with it! Enjoy the last few weeks of fall color:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could give you some, Lynn! It would be perfect with that cuppa :)

      Delete
  6. Susan, or any of the other readers - do you think that this would be acceptable if made as a GF version? Any suggestions for flours to use? Almond flour comes to mind for obvious reasons. Your cake looks amazing, and I will definitely be making it for us, but I have a gaggle of friends who are foregoing gluten these days and I'd like to have an alternate for them. Huge thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frida, I'd do some online searches for converting a standard cake recipe to GF. I don't have any experience in conversion or what types of flours would work best but I have made a great lemon brunch cake that uses brown rice flour here: http://savoringtimeinthekitchen.blogspot.com/2015/03/lemon-brunch-cake.html. You could try using the fruit instead of lemon, bake it in a round spring form pan and top with a GF streusel. I just don't know how the sour cream will affect it. I did do a quick online search and found this GF coffee cake that has sour cream that might help: http://www.food.com/recipe/gluten-free-sour-cream-coffee-cake-423225 Hopefully, some of my other readers can offer ideas too.

      Delete
  7. I'm loving the autumn celebration at your place Susan along with this beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful streusel cake Susan ! Beautiful pictures of fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria! It's the perfect cake for this time of year :)

      Delete
  9. You're on an amazing cake roll --- I love this one --- almonds and cranberry is a combination I hadn't thought of, but sounds divine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was making up for lost time ;) I think I love these kinds of desserts best of all. Thanks, Sue!

      Delete
  10. Hi Susan,
    This looks like a perfect dessert to add to my Thanksgiving dessert table. Although, I might have to make it sooner than that-could go for a little sliver right now with my coffee:) And, your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to do a test run so you can sample it first ;) Thank you, Lynn!

      Delete
  11. That would make a wonderful Fall dessert - actually any time of the year.
    Your colors of Fall mosaic is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, traditionally fall or even winter with the cranberries but it's so good it shouldn't be forgotten the rest of the year ;) Thank you, Glenda!

      Delete
  12. Well, obviously I've been living under a rock! Just found your blog and this amazing recipe. I love, love cranberries and can't wait to try it. Would love to have a piece right now and especially in the morning with my coffee! :) I'm a new follower and look forward to more of your great recipes.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) Hello Pat and thank you! I would be delicious with coffee for breakfast too. Thanks so much for stopping here!

      Delete
  13. Gorgeous cake, Susan. All the flavors I love. And it makes such a lovely presentation for guests too. Saw cranberries in my market a couple weeks ago for the first time, Love this time of year and the recipes that go along with it. Pinterest is an amazing resource for us, so much input from so many talented chefs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I love fall and winter recipes the best too, Barbara. They are so full of amazing, rich flavors. Thank you!

      Delete
  14. My traditional Christmas entertainment does include a Christmas brunch . . . need a new idea and you brought it to me! Grazie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually have a folder marked "cranberry recipes". This will go in. Our leaves are falling fast--rain and wind yesterday brought many down. There is still a lot of color around town.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love cranberries, you'll love this cake, Bonnie. Our leaves are falling fast too. From one week to the next it's a whole new landscape (or lack of).

      Delete
  16. Susan, this cake looks so pretty, I love the red color of cranberries in it...and can imagine a how this cake would taste. Yes, this cake is perfect for the Holidays.
    The pictures of fall are just stunning...lovely shots!
    Hope you are having a fabulous week :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just love almond flavor combined with cranberries. What a great cake for fall ( and winter too).

    ReplyDelete
  18. What gorgeous shots! And of the cake, too! LOL! I would love to be on that picnic bench eating this cake! That would be glorious indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Thank you, Abbe! We're supposed to get back into the upper 60's again next week with some great days for cake on a picnic bench!

      Delete
  19. it's like autumn in a cake! Beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  20. this looks wonderful and the leaves are so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  21. Give me anything with almond in it! The kids think I put it in everything, and they are pretty much right!
    Lovely fall colors. We are just beginning to turn. It is really late this year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a stunning coffee cake for the holidays. So, so very pretty!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love all you autumn photos - they are really pretty. This cake also looks terrific! I really enjoy using cranberries in things other than just cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This cake looks so fruity and delicious. I love the changes you made on the original and the fall photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I visited this beautiful cake and never left a comment so here I am again. Love the flavors in this cake. I rarely bake due to working six days a week now, but we have a wonderful bakery that Joe goes to every Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish I could have some right now, all my favorites in one beautiful cake.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are having house guests next week and this sounds like a nice cake to nibble on with a cup of morning coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm glad that you modified it and added your own almond, this cake looks so beautiful and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, these beautiful autumn pics.
    The combination of seasonal fruits and almonds sounds lovely and using cranberries other than in cranberry sauce is a brilliant idea.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Susan, I love your Cranberry Apple Almond Strudel ,it looks amazing wounderfull and the lovely fall picture, I'm going to try this recipe and thank you for sharing. ...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!