Friday, March 27, 2015

Lemon Brunch Cake


I first posted this recipe about three years ago but I felt it was time to do a redux as this lemony cake would be a perfect addition to an Easter brunch.  Perfect for any occasion -  any time of year, actually!  The reason I say brunch cake is this cake has the dense texture of a 'muffin' - very moist and crumbly.


It also has the most luxurious lemon flavor as it is soaked in fresh lemon juice hot from the oven.  It stays amazingly moist 3-4 days after baking.  My husband keeps asking me when I'm going to make it again. He loves a slice after breakfast.


A shower of powdered sugar and some fresh berries is all it needs, and, perhaps a cup of tea or mimosa. I used my new Bavaria bundt pan from Nordic Ware.  I love their bake ware and that is a completely unsolicited comment! Given a good spritz of baking spray with flour, cakes always come out beautifully.


It's been a busy time here with more to come! We celebrated the 3rd birthday of our youngest grandson two weeks ago followed by my birthday this past week.  Next week, it will be my hubby's birthday, then Easter, followed by our oldest daughter's birthday a little over a week later.  Fun times!

My sweetheart took me to my favorite French restaurants for my birthday where I enjoy quail for the first time "Cailles Farcies avec Truffe Noire".  I felt like I was in my favorite foodie movie "Babette's Feast" :-)


Soon it will be April and even more reason to celebrate :)

Lemon Brunch Cake


Note:  If you use a bundt pan for this recipe, you will find that the batter only fills up the pan by about 1/2 way or so.  That's okay. This is a smaller (shorter) cake. 

3 eggs
Zest of 2 lemons
14 tablespoons (200 gr) unsalted butter (softened at room temperature)
1-1/4 cups (250 gr) granulated sugar
1 cup (125 gr) unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup (125 gr) Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice Flour - or substitute corn starch
2 teaspoons baking powder

Lemon juice from 2 lemons (about 1/2 cup).
4-5 tablespoons powdered sugar

Grease and flour a 9-inch round cake pan or spray with baking spray with flour such as Baker's Joy brand.

In a mixing bowl, beat the softened butter with lemon zest for about 30 seconds on medium speed. Add sugar, continue beating until combined. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat until combined.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, rice flour and baking powder.

Add the flour mixture and mix until it is incorporated and you have a smooth batter.

Put the cake in a cold oven, then turn the oven on to 325 degrees. Bake for about one hour or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean (this will depend on the size of the pan you use to be sure to do a toothpick check at least 15 minutes earlier). When done, place a cooling rack upside down over the top of the cake pan and carefully flip over using oven mitts. Place the cooling rack over a large, rimmed baking sheet.

Add the lemon juice to the powdered sugar a little at a time so no lumps form and whisk together. Drizzle over the hot cake. Once the cake is cool, you can sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Serve with fresh berries and enjoy!

This cake keeps well, covered with plastic wrap for at least three days.

53 comments:

  1. This look georgeous Susan!!! I and...I love this boy! what sweet is!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love that bundt pan! The cake looks amazing but that little boy is the show stealer. What a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all that boy is too beautiful for words♥
    He has a big boy haircut..eyes even a clearer blue than his shirt;)
    A dool..
    Oh these wee boys of ours~
    The littles.

    Love your hedgehog cups!!
    And your beautiful photos are so sharp and clear.Thsoe strawberries are positively shining.
    What a nice resto..
    I refuse to Google that Bundt pan.
    I refuse.
    I do need tulips though..
    Costco raised their prices..Surprised me.
    Love the planter and fern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monique! Yes, the boys are so dear ♥ and we are very blessed. I know, I don't need another pan but then I see one and Oops! There are worse things ;)

      Delete
  4. Hmmmm...love lemon cake anything! What a handsome little birthday boy there...seems as if every family has a birthday alley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your expression "birthday alley"! So true. Thank you, Vee!

      Delete
  5. What good timing. My DIL was asking for something lemony for Easter. This looks like a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're having a brunch, this would be perfect, H! Hope you try it and thank you!

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great cake Susan and I love the pretty pan design:@)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to have to make this for my husband too. It looks so moist and terrific and I love your bundt form too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he loves it as much as my husband does :) Thank you, Angie!

      Delete
  8. Your birthday boy is so handsome and your cake is absolutely amazing. The presentation on the black and white with the bright red strawberry is stunning.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I became completely distracted from what I wanted to say when your darling boy popped up! He is precious! As for the cake, is it dessert or is it art? Unlike Monique, I am going to Google that pan and print out the recipe. Happy belated birthday to you and to your husband for his birthday to come.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! I love the pan and that little guy :) Hope you enjoy the Lemon Brunch Cake!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday to all !!! Sounds like lots of enjoyable times.
    The cake sounds so good. I rarely meet a lemon dessert I don't care for.
    Enjoy the weekend!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh boy this is a lovely cake! I adore lemon anything and if your husband wants a slice after breakfast it must be worth every bite! I'm printing this one! Happy birthday to you and your grandson! What a wonderful treat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tricia! Well worth the effort to make! Thanks for the birthday wishes :)

      Delete
  12. Happy Birthday to you and yours! That's a sweet grandbaby there. :) The cake is gorgeous- I love lemon anything- and I'm jealous of your pan! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Betty! Yes he is a sweetie :) The pan is great!

      Delete
  13. So much to celebrate in these next few weeks! I can see why you needed to make this cake. Not only is it gorgeous but full of my favorite lemony flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake is gorgeous, Susan, and I can imagine how delicious it is. I'd take lemon over chocolate any day and this sounds like it has great lemon flavor. Your little guy is pretty adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your lemon cake and the bundt pan ....what a wonderful blue eyes , he is really adorable ! have a good week, a warm hug

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely lovely and I can't quit looking at your beautiful photos. And what a handsome young man.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got my attention when you said this cake has a muffin like texture. It is so pretty and sounds delicious. Lots of special birthdays during this time for you and your family. I know it must be very special especially with that handsome grandson!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a beautiful cake and a perfect dessert for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Belated Happy Birthday, Susan! And HB to everyone in your family...lots of celebrating going on at your house.
    I love your bundt pan...and what could be better than lemon in the spring? Looks delicious.
    There's nothing more lovely for a springtime bouquet than tulips in a bowl ...

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great cake and a beautiful presentation. My sister loves Babette's Feast - we must watch it again.

    Madonna

    ReplyDelete
  21. The lemon cake is beautiful-perfect for Easter.
    Happy belated birthday wishes to you! You have a busy few weeks ahead of you. Enjoy!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bundt pan is a beauty, Susan, a beautiful shape for that luscious lemon cake. Your little hedgehog bowls are adorable and so pretty next to your MC cake plate. e have birthdays all bunched up like you do. It makes for lots of celebrating. What an adorable little guy. He's growing up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Perfect indeed for Easter! Love all of the lemon and oh, I am so pea-green with envy over your black and white designer dinnerware! Thank you for sharing such a delightful spring cake recipe!!!!
    Happy Easter (Buona Pasqua) and Happy Spring!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Susan, first...Happy Birthday! love cakes like this. We have lemons coming out of our ears right now, this would be perfect for Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy belated birthday Susan! Your cake looks so luscious! Happy Easter and happy spring if we will ever see it! Your cake made my day, since it is raining yet again here!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautifully elegant cake, Susan! Happy birthday.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so behind! But Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a grand celebration. The cake is gorgeous. Bet it tasted even better!

    ReplyDelete
  28. First your cake sounds amazing! Your grandson is adorable and we want to wish you and everyone a Happy Belated Birthday!
    Gorgeous photos Sue! Love your cake plate too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have a tea date coming up soon and this brunch cake would be the perfect statement piece for it! Looks beautiful and happy belated day!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Belated Birthday... to you and your grandson..the cake looks gorgeous...and yes, I love everything lemony, as a matter of fact I have a basket full of lemons...
    Have a wonderful week Susan :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful looking cake for all occasions , Susan! I love the flavor of lemon. Wishing you and your family a very happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much to all of you for the birthday wishes! Today my husband's birthday and he's no April Food :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such an amazing cake! Looks wonderful! And I do agree with the Nordic Ware Bundt Pan, I have one too and recently I've baked a lemon bundt cake too!
    Your grandson is so adorable!
    Happy Birthday Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  34. A belated birthday wish to one and all. I so enjoyed your photos as well as the recipe..

    ReplyDelete
  35. I have a soft spot for lemon cakes. This looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a glorious cake - and I'm due for a new bundt pan, mine is so old the cake always sticks and drives me crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Perfect cake! I love those bundts and their clean crisp lines. They do make everything look better, don't they? Love the idea of putting the rice flour into the mix -- the texture must be divine.

    ReplyDelete
  38. looks wonderful and what a lovely birthday treat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Lemony cakes are my favorites! Love your black and white check board cake stand and plates-perfect for any holiday ;)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!