Sunday, November 9, 2014

Apple Cake with Toffee and Caramelized Apples



If you are more of a cake person than a pie person, this could be the perfect Thanksgiving dessert for you.  I tested this recipe on my family this past weekend and there was already talk of messing with tradition this year.  Heresy, I know, but understandable after you taste this cake.


The apple cake is first baked then drizzled with a toffee glaze while still warm.  Toothpick holes poked in the cake help the glaze sink deep into the cake and flavor it with warm, toffee-flavored goodness creating a toffee 'crust' on the bottom when it cools.


If that doesn't sound delicious enough, the cake is served with warm toffee sauce, caramelized apples and vanilla ice cream. Exclamation point. 


This is one delicious cake! 


Since National Bundt Day is coming on November 15th , I baked the cake in one of my traditional Bundt pans rather than the spring form pan with tube center stated in the recipe.  It worked perfectly. 


Apple Cake with Toffee and Caramelized Apples


Note:  I  reduced the original 2 cups of sugar in the cake to 1-1/2 cups and think it could even be reduced to 1 or 1-1/4 cup since the cake was still fairly sweet.


SERVINGS: 10 to 12
(See Do-Ahead Instructions at the End)

For the Cake:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil (I used Safflower Oil)
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
2 large or 3 small Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and diced into ½” pieces)

For the Toffee Glaze:

1 stick unsalted butter
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the Toffee Serving Sauce:

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 tablespoon brandy

For the Caramelized Apples:

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
3 large Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and sliced into 8 wedges)
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons water

Serve with vanilla ice cream

Preheat the oven to 325°.

Butter and flour a traditional Bundt pan (I sprayed with Baker's Joy instead).

Whisk the flour, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the oil and granulated sugar until creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, blending thoroughly. Then, add the dry ingredients about a cup at a time and blend until smooth. Fold in the diced apples with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake in the lower third of the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. (My cake only took 1 hour). Let cool slightly.

While the cake is cooling slightly, combine the butter, cream and brown sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat while stirring. Remove the toffee glaze from the heat and stir in the vanilla.

Place the warm cake (still in its pan) on a rimmed baking sheet. Pour the hot glaze over the cake and let it seep into the cake, poking gently with a toothpick (I also tiled the pan from side to side). Then, allow the cake to cool completely, about 2-1/2 hours. Invert the cake onto a serving platter.

In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and water and bring to a boil over high heat while stirring. After the sauce is boiling, use a moistened pastry brush and wash down any sugar crystals on the side of the pan. The, cook without stirring until a medium-amber caramel forms.  This will take about 5-7 minutes so watch carefully so that it does not burn. Remove from the heat and quickly but very carefully stir in the cream and butter (the sauce will bubble up). Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the sauce for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir in the brandy. Allow to cool slightly and pour the toffee sauce into a pitcher.

In a large skillet, melt the butter and the brown sugar. Add the apples and cinnamon and cook over moderately high heat, turning the apples once or twice, until they are tender and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add the water to dissolve the caramel in the skillet, then transfer the caramelized apples to a plate.

Slice the cake and serve with the caramelized apples, toffee sauce and vanilla ice cream.

Do Ahead:

The unmolded cake can be stored overnight at room temperature wrapped in plastic wrap or foil. The toffee sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week and gently reheated before serving. The apples can be made 3 hours ahead and kept at room temperature.

65 comments:

  1. 🍁🎅🎄 hello Susan that looks very delicious indeed with all those yummy caramel apples and toffee oh my goodness and Apple that sounds very nice I have to try your recipe looks really good🍁🎅🎄

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pouring sauce:)

    Magnifique!
    Your pumpkins:)

    Have to pin for sure..

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't have to twist my arm to make this cake! The toffee sauce sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! Thanks so much, Debbie. Thought you'd appreciate the cake stand :)

      Delete
  4. Look amazing Susan
    I love this cake and look really divine:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word !!! I almost drooled on my computer key board! LOL It sounds and looks divine !
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've done that myself on several occasions :) Thanks Glenda!

      Delete
  6. Mmm so many delicious things in this cake!! I love it!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speaking as a cake person, this looks like the perfect Thanksgiving dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like both pie and cake, but if I had to make a choice I would choose this apple cake/

    ReplyDelete
  9. a slice of bundt cake and a cup of coffee, the better start of the day! Have a good week my dear Susan a warm hug

    ReplyDelete
  10. This apple bundt cake looks glorious, Susan, and it surely makes a perfect holiday dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a very special cake indeed:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a gorgeous cake and would certainly make a lovely addition to any holiday dessert table.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This cake is stunning Susan and would make a grand entrance on my Thanksgiving table this year. Is this recipe from the recent issue of Food and Wine?

    Also your photos are incredible and so different from your past photos which were beautiful as well but these are over the top. What have you done differently? Are you using different software or did you take a class? I'm dying to get my photos to look like this - they're perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki. I found the recipe on the Food and Wine website. The link is included in the recipe.

      Actually, I didn't do anything different other than darken a few photos a bit more in Photoshop. Otherwise, same camera, lens and editing software. The best advice I can give you is get a DSLR camera and learn the manual settings. Also, I often (but not always) use a tripod. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  15. What a gorgeous looking cake! It looks so delicious and love the photo with the ice cream and caramelized apples, looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really delicious, Joyce. We all loved it! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  16. Susan, I've been MIA for way too long! Your cake looks fantastic and I'm going to make it for a dinner party I'm taking a dessert for tonight. Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see you, Gnee! I know they will love it! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  17. That is one beautiful bundt cake and with all of the add ons it has to be wonderful. Beautiful photos Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Susan, this is a keeper! Love all the different layers of flavor that you added, I can see why your family might want to mess with tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful! Love the flavors! Did you guys get the snowfall? Not ready for it, just cold here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness no snow here in SE Wisconsin - just rain today. Yesterday 55F and tomorrow it will only be in the 30s. Yikes! Thanks, Julie!

      Delete
  20. What I wouldn't give to devour this beautiful apple cake, it looks so delicious!
    And with caramel, makes it even better!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am happy to eat both a slice of cake AND pie at THanksgiving...so bring them all on! This is a serious contender...love the apple paired with the sultry toffee flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  22. There are so many things I love about this cake. The toothpick holes, the warm toffee sauce and that vanilla ice cream. AND the fact that I've got a counter full of apples that need to be used. Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you're ready to roll, Lea Ann! I'll know you'll love it. Thank you!

      Delete
  23. now THAT is a beautiful cake... love the sauce drizzling on top, really gorgeous and I love how densely packed with apples it is too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm totally drooling! All that toffee sauce, yum. I'd eat the bottom of the cake first. :) And then to top it all off with caramelized apples! Amazing dessert, Susan. ( Food and Wine again!)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Looks so delicious!!! Love that cake stand by the way !!
    Ami || NaiveCookCooks.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMG just I just see toffee and apples in one recipe? How I love the combination. It looks too perfect -- your recipes are always perfect and cook up so well. Maybe use this for Thanksgiving??

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Susan, how wonderful to stop by and peruse your posts that I have missed. So many interesting and delicious foods :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is such a beautiful cake, and I am loving the apple in the cake and the caramelized...and yes the for the toffee sauce...
    Thanks fort he recipe Susan...hope you are enjoying your week :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. wow looks divine, and what a cool cake stand

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh goodness, that sure looks decadent, Susan! The presentation on the MC pedestal is beautiful. I plan on making one of these for Thanksgiving, if not before...I know Howard will gobble it up.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is much like my favorite apple dapple cake and you can bet the next time I make it the caramel sauce will be added.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your presentation is always so beautiful, Susan, especially with this gorgeous cake on the MC cake stand. I am drooling over the caramel sauce being poured onto the cake, making it even more decadent. Thank you for sharing the recipe and the beauty with us.
    Thank you for your visit and your congratulatory wishes for my new grand baby. It was much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks and sounds delicious, and the fact that it is served on a CC cake plate makes it even more so. '-)
    Thanks for sharing the recipe. A friend brought over apple cake that she baked today. I think this cold weather has us all wanting comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  34. You didn't mention that it being served on a Mackenzie*Childs cake plate made it all the more BETTER..:)
    Your Apple cake sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This looks wonderful....love your Mackenzie-Childs! Visiting you from Cuisine Kathleen.

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a gorgeous cake plate and setting! But I love this cake. Perfect for Fall and all those special occasions! Hurray for National Bundt day!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This looks amazing, Susan! I love making cakes in a bundt pan as they always look pretty,but the toffee ring around the bottom of your cake gives it a special allure .

    ReplyDelete
  38. A beautiful cake and a wonderful presentation! I love carmel sauce with apple cake! I am so hungry now, I would love a piece!
    Thanks so much for taking part in the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  39. This cake has my name written all over it Susan! Very special and packed with flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Susan, don't know how I missed this. It looks marvelous and has to be delicious. Great photos, too!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Now, that recipe is to DIE for! Perfect use of seasonal fruits and the best way to break from the traditional pie. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  42. The cake, the sauce, the apples…any part of this dish would be good by itself but put together it sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Susan your blog is making me hungry..love the variety of great food here...I have to bake more cakes!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!