Saturday, October 4, 2014

Butternut Squash, Apple, and Leek Soup


What a crazy week of weather it has been here!  Monday, it was 84F, by late Monday afternoon it dropped to 59F.  It warmed to 80 again on Thursday, cold and rainy on Friday and tonight we have a frost warning.  This is a soup weekend if there ever was one!

Last week, a fellow blogger, Bonnie, at From a Writer's Kitchen, wrote about a butternut squash soup made with apple that she found in the Chicago Tribute. You can click on the link above and see the recipe Bonnie made. It sounds wonderful and I love butternut squash.  Bonnie mentioned how flavorful the soup was with the hint of apple.


Then, a couple of days later, I happened to pick up the cookbook that I had won in a giveaway from Sam at My Carolina Kitchen, called Savoring the Hamptons, where I found a recipe for Butternut Squash, Apple and Leek Soup. I've made a couple of recipes from the book when we entertained this past summer but when I'm entertaining I rarely have time to take pictures.  So finally, Sam, I was able to make AND photograph a wonderful recipe from this cookbook! It was delicious and my husband loved it too.  Thank you so much for this wonderful cookbook, Sam!  I have many more recipes bookmarked to try.


The addition of the apple, leeks, onion, sage, a splash of freshly squeezed orange juice, along with parsley and sage really made this a top-notch recipe.  The recipe also mentions the optional garnish of plain croutons but I had to bring those up a notch also so I baked mine with a generous sprinkle of black pepper, garlic salt and some chopped fresh herbs.  They were perfect with the soup. 

Thank you again, Bonnie, for the idea, and to you, Sam, for the cookbook.



I mentioned in my last post that I would share a few more photos of our trip to Atlanta where we attended a wedding in September. The Atlanta Botanical Gardens were a highlight along with a visit to The Swan House that same day.  


Those of you who have seen the movie, The Hunger Games - Catching Fire, may recognize the opulent facade of the home with it's five-tiered waterfall in the center of the staircase.  This is what guests saw upon entering the driveway. The photo at the bottom of the above collage is the rear of the home where carriages or cars would pull around to enter the home.  


Above, you see the beautiful foyer and staircase, the dining, room, library and sitting room.  Another very highly recommended stop if you are ever in the Atlanta area.  It doesn't cost anything to do your own self-guided tour of the home where you can walk around freely and enjoy all of the rooms with original furnishings. To enter the museum on the property you do need to pay admission.  All of the above photos (except for the one from the movie) I took on our visit.  Below is a wonderful video if you would like to see a little more and learn about the owners and history of the home which is now owned by the Atlanta Historic Center.  It will also show you a glimpse into the kitchen, which I thought was very interesting too. Be sure to click on the "Full Screen" icon on the bottom right. Update: I have noticed that the YouTube video does not show up on some mobile devices.  Here is the link if you are interested in viewing it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIB9r8gvT7s


Butternut Squash, Apple, and Leek Soup

Adapted from Savoring The Hamptons
Printable Recipe

Serves 6 to 8

2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 butternut squash 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
2 leeks
1 onion
1 tart apple
6 cups chicken stock (low sodium if using store bought)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup freshly squeezed orange juice

1/4 cup finely chopped Italian (flat-leaf) parsley (plus a little more for croutons)
2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage leaves (plus a little more for croutons)
Black pepper, Garlic and Herb croutons (recipe follows)

Peel, seed and cut butternut squash into 1-inch pieces using a large chef's knife. Trim, wash and thinly slice leeks and onion. Peel, core and coarsely chop apple.

Heat the oil and butter in a large saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. When the butter foams, add the butternut squash, leeks, onion and apple and saute for a minute or two. Then, place a piece of wax paper or parchment paper over the vegetables and cover the pan. "Sweat" the vegetables for about 7 minutes. Remove and discard the paper.

Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the orange juice and cook the soup over low to medium heat at a steady simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.

Puree the soup in the pan with an immersion blender, or, puree in several batches in a regular blender.

The soup can be prepared ahead up to this point and refrigerated, covered, until ready to serve. Bring back to a simmer, add the chopped parsley and sage and serve with croutons, if desired.

Black pepper, Garlic and Herb Croutons
Preheat oven to 350F.

Choose a good loaf of French bread, sliced. Prepare 1-2 slices for each person. Brush each side of bread with olive oil, then sprinkle generously with ground black pepper and garlic salt. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley or sage, if desired. Cut each slice of bread in 1" x 1" pieces (you do not need to remove crust) and scatter in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven for about 7-8 minutes until golden. Watch carefully toward the end so they do not burn.

62 comments:

  1. What a wonderful and delightful idea Susan, October is here and it is a heathly soup and a great for the fall and looks delicious too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been craving butternut squash and your soup looks great Susan! Up and down weather in Philly too, might light the wood stove for the first time tonight! Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The MC child in you must have loved that floor..It was popular here a long time ago in stately homes..I still like it.
    Did you make that placemat? It looks like something you would have made..beautiful.
    I am getting in the mood actually today for butternut squash recipes..We have one for a chicken dish I am making tomorrow..but now I feel soup will be it's next venue..
    We have had Indian summer every afternoon and I have been slugging aay at cutting the gardens for bed..

    But today,,50's dark and pouring rain..like a constant curtain..or one of those fountains..

    The soup ..I could put my spoon in now:)

    I saw Bonnie's post too and thought yes.. have a very similar recipe w/ OJ..I will dig it up..was a hit..love the book.
    Love the shot of you walking in;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so in love with the foyer! Yes, I made the placement but it's an unfinished work I hid the strand leading to the ball of yarn :) Thank you, M!

      Delete
  4. Oh this sounds wonderful! I have butternut squash soup on my list of things to make soon. But now I want to try your apple leek version. It is beautiful! I used to live in Atlanta, and Chattanooga and have never toured that house. How interesting and beautiful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you know all about the Atlanta traffic, Tricia. Yikes! I do love the area around the city. Marietta was charming. We also visited the Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield and Museum - so interesting. Thanks, Tricia!

      Delete
  5. This soup is so healthy and delicious :D
    You reckon I can still eat it in Spring? :)

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  6. What nice giveaway! !I love cookbooks Sam.I have to make a giveaway many times I dont make one!
    I love this soup look absolutely delicious!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gloria. It was delicious. I can't wait to try more recipes from the book.

      Delete
  7. looks wonderful and wow what an amazing old house

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delish with the leaks. Thanks for sharing.
    I have had some butternut squash soup that was not all that tasty, but this does sound good.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so flavorful, Glenda. You could cut the recipe in half too.

      Delete
  9. What a beautiful dish...absolutely lovely post! Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad it's finally soup weather. Even here in the uk it's been unseasonably warm until this weekend when temperatures finally dropped. Your soup looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This soup looks great. I am gonna give it a try soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous soup Susan and I'm so glad you are enjoying the cookbook. That is a beautiful mansion. What a treat to visit.Our weather is crazy here too. 32 this morning and it will be 80 by Wednesday. Don't put your summer clothes away yet :)
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a gorgeously fall soup! It's been crazy weather here in New England, too, but at least it means it's time for meals like these :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sues! I think I'm actually ready to replace salads with soup now :)

      Delete
  14. I haven't been to Atlanta in many years and would love to visit again someday. Our weather is starting to look like fall but we still have crazy ups and downs in temperatures too. It's definitely soup weather here and this looks delicious, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathy! I wish it would go from fall right to spring again :)

      Delete
  15. I love butternut soup and the addition of apple here, sounds so delicious..I will remember that. When we lived in the Us, I often went to Atlanta, we lived only 2 hours away..a real Southern gem and oh those gorgeous plantation mansions in the area..so beautiful and special, especially around Christmas times. thank you for a lovely reminder with your photos.
    ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. orange juice? What a wonderful idea Susan !It's a delicious comfort food, I like it ! Have a great week my dear, hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chiara. The orange juice just gives the flavor a little sparkle.

      Delete
  17. I just made this, and mine can be truly savored in the Hamptons, lol! Sylvia writes a cooking column for our local newspaper. I didn't use her recipe, I always make mine with leek and apples, as well as some cinnamon. It is the. Easiest soup to make, aside from cutting the butternut, I roast it before cutting too. Orange juice is my secret ingredient in many things, including chicken salad!
    Alan Alda , a local fixture wrote the forward for Sylvia's book. I always remember my conversation with him on line at the supermarket. A very nice down to earth person.
    The botanical gardens look beautiful and your soup does too. I am still blocked from your blog on my computer, so I can only comment from my ipad. It Cuts out after I write a few lines, so I am rushing, as this is my 3 rd try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that foyer! Today was definitely soup weather here but we will be warming up again. This soup has the flavors of fall that we look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks beautiful from your trip to Atlanta and the butternut soup is divine! The weather is calling our name for enjoying cool weather soups.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely soup with exciting flavors!
    I've been to Botanical Gardens in Atl., nice pics. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the flavour combo of this butternut squash soup, esp. the add of apple..just wonderful. So glad that you had a fun and lovely time in Atlanta. Love that beautiful staircase!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! I could use some of that warm Atlanta air right now :)

      Delete
  22. I'm going to bookmark this, Susan. The butternut squash soup I've been making for years came from Williams Sonoma Thanksgiving cookbook; The flavors in yours would make a world of difference.
    I adore those southern mansions! I used to take a group of women on trips every year (not professionally) and their favorite thing to do by far was touring plantation homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd love this recipe, Barbara. I love seeing sights like this too!

      Delete
  23. Now this is quite a lovely soup! I will definitely be making it this fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The squash lover that you are, I know you will enjoy it :)

      Delete
  24. Replies
    1. Not a bad thing either - it's what comes after that isn't my favorite.

      Delete
  25. Amazing photos Sue! Liz has been to Atlanta but I haven't -yet. Your soup looks and sounds delicious, real comfort food indeed! Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna :) Now I knew it was you by my amazing powers of deduction - LOL.

      Delete
  26. Delicious FAll soup. I love those flavors. Enjoyed your pictures of your Atlanta trip as well. I've been to Atlanta many times but never the botanical garden.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yes, it is butternut squash season. I love it! And I love those photos of your trip, too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This soup has all my favorite flavors in it! I love your pictures too Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I adore squash soup and make one as well using both butternut and acorn squash plus apples. I especially love how velvetty the soup tastes once done and without any cream - that's the best. Lovely recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Susan, perfect pairing of flavors here, love this time of year. Love the history behind the mansions.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love butternut squash soup and I always used an apple when preparing it, but never leeks or oranges juice. I'll have to try that addition the next time I make it.

    I recently visited Atlanta with my husband on his last business trip --he is now retired:) I stayed downtown, but wish I knew about this exceptional mansion as I would have loved to see it! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have never made butternut squash soup...after seeing this recipe, I must give this a try...sounds and looks delicious Susan. Thanks for the pictures...if you had not mentioned about the house on Hunger Games, I would not have noticed...
    Have a great weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi, your comfort soup look really appetizing. Very interesting recipe, something new to me. Thanks for sharing the recipe and all the beautiful pictures. Great posting.

    Have a wonderful weekend, regards.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I’m wondering what is the driver for the high carb count on this? I’ve seen similar recipes with corn, and not quite the same level of carbs. Is it hidden in the seasonings perhaps?

    Harold Burton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine why this would have a high carb count either. Butternut squash is not high in carbs. You could eliminate the croutons and that would help.

      Delete

I appreciate your comment!