Friday, June 13, 2014

Rhubarb Almond Crumb Cake


This is probably the best rhubarb recipe that I've made.  Seriously delicious.  I recently saw this on Chow Chow Linda, a very nice blog that I follow full of great Italian recipes, but it is originally from a contest winner at Food 52.  I'm sure Linda, being Italian, was attracted to the fact that it has a slight Italian twist to it with the almonds in the crumb topping and almond extract in the cake.  I was worried how the almond flavor would taste with the rhubarb but it wonderful! 


This was such a delicious cake that I can't wait to try it with other seasonal fruit.  The nuts in the topping could be varied with the type of fruit also. The bonus was that it tasted even more delicious the second day after the moisture from the rhubarb had a chance to blend into the cake. It's a perfect coffee cake for the morning, for snacking in the afternoon, or you could make it an after-dinner dessert with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.  You can see my rhubarb plants are still going strong in the background. 


I did reduce the amount of sugar in the cake batter from 1-1/4 cups to 1 cup and I think I could have even cut back to 3/4 cup easily as I don't like overly sweet desserts.  I also increased the amount of rhubarb from 1-1/2 cups to 2 cups.


We are hosting our gourmet group a week from Saturday - the first day of summer!  My husband and I will be busy getting the yard manicured and all the other things that need to be organized for hosting our group of 10 for this fun event so you will likely not see me posting or visiting as we get closer to the date. Until then - Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there and Happy Summer Solstice to all!


Rhubarb Almond Crumb Cake

Adapted from Food 52
Printable Recipe

Serves 8 to 10

For the crumb topping:

2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 tablespoons slivered almonds, chopped
2 tablespoons rolled oats
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

For the cake:

An 8-inch spring form or deep cake pan
Butter for greasing the pan

2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Melt the butter and set aside to cool slightly. Butter the sides of an 8" spring form or deep cake pan.  Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan.

For the crumb, combine the dry ingredients in a small bowl. Using a fork or your fingers, gently work in the butter until small clumps form. 

Combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and almond extract in a large bowl. Beat the mixture on high until it triples in volume, about five minutes. Fold in the melted butter, flour, and rhubarb. Evenly spread the thick batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the top.

Bake for 60 to 75 minutes, until the topping is deeply golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a cooling rack and remove the cake when it’s completely cool.

59 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks like a seriously good cake. Beautiful presentation too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great cake for this time of year and the flowers are all gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love crumb cake Susan and this look delicious!
    I love your flowers just besutiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake looks right up my alley!Love almond in cakes..Thanks for the recipe!And so pretty on your MC pedestal..
    Is that Patty's plum?:) Oh I love her!
    Did you paint the tomtao?:)I think you did..I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like it! The answer is yes to both questions :)

      Delete
  5. This sounds great Susan, I like that it's a little smaller cake too! Have fun with your dinner:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to get a try this weekend. I want to use more of my rhubarb. I did make a rhubarb roll this week, but this looks easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely something I would like, especially with the almond flavor added.
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saved this recipe when I saw it on Linda's blog. I'm glad to know that you liked it too, Susan. Rhubarb is one of my favorite spring veggies and I'm always looking for a new way to prepare it. That looks like a yummy topping on a very delicious cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been using rhubarb these days, and this does sound good. Nice job on your Summer Solstice Gourmet invitation! Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A delicious cake - wonderful flavors and it looks so tender!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that looks so moist and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a similar recipe to this one, without the crumb topping. I will have to give this one a try. Your flowers are beautiful Have fun with the dinner group, don't work too hard!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks incredibly moist and that deep golden brown crumble topping is just too good to miss in life. Excellent, Susan!
    Have a blessed weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You must have a bumper crop of rhubarb! The cake looks delicious! Good luck with your gourmet dinner. Happy Father's Day to your dh! I am sure his dau's have something wonderful planned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathleen! I have two plants and they are in their fourth or fifth year and going strong!

      Delete
  15. Hi Susan, after just seeing a few plants in your pictures I'm guessing that your yard is gorgeous. Love this cake, love rhubarb but was thinking if is was a different time of year and I wanted to put say pears in..... would that work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Cheri! Although I haven't tried pears, I certainly think they would work. Since pears are much sweeter than rhubarb, I would reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe. Let me know how it works if you try it!

      Delete
  16. what a beautiful set of pictures of summer!... and as for that cake, wow!... a love a cake that is part cake, part pudding and the density of this looks just that, would be amazing served warm with custard, I bet!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the shout-out. I like the changes you made and will incorporate them next time I make this cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Linda. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

      Delete
  18. This crumb cake has my mouth watering, what I would not give for a piece :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  19. The rhubarb - almond combo sounds appealing to me. Now, I have to try it and see for myself how good it is. Hubby will love this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks delicious! Perfect with a coup of coffee. Italian touch is always welcomed in my recipes...

    ela h.
    Gray Apron

    ReplyDelete
  21. This crumble looks great and I am sure, it tastes delicious, too! Rhubarb is not very common in India, but we do get it in select gourmet stores here. Loved your recipe, Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think rhubarb must like cooler weather. This would be delicious with any fruit, I think.

      Delete
  22. Such a lovely cake, and with homegrown rhubarb, sounds really delicious!
    Have fun with your gourmet group!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks awesome! Putting it on my list right now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw this cake on Linda's blog, Susan, and now that you've also made and enjoyed it I know it is a winner! My husband is not a big fan of rhubarb, so I think I will substitute for that with a stone fruit,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should taste just as good, Pat. I'll be trying some variations myself.

      Delete
  25. Wonderful cake Susan, I haven't had a cake with rhubarb yet but you have inspired me to try this one.
    Thanks for a super recipe! Have a wonderful week! Can't wait to hear about your soiree next week.
    xxoo Anna and Liz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such a pitty we don't have rhubarb in Greece! This crumble looks terrific Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it likes the cooler climates, Katerina. Too bad!

      Delete
  27. Hi Susan, that's a very nice cake but I yet to try rhubarb, not sure if I can get this in my territory. Love the texture of the cake, great to go with coffee.

    Have a wonderful weekend, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be delicious with pretty much any fruit, Amelia. Thanks so much.

      Delete
  28. What an amazing looking cake! And the flowers in your garden are most lovely! As I write this I realize from your last post, you are currently having your dinner party :) I know it must be a great evening with fabulous food!

    ReplyDelete
  29. a delicious cake perfect for tea time Susan, I love it !Have a great week my dear, a hug

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, this cake looks amazing! I'll have to give it a try, I have lots of rhubarb!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Enjoying fresh Rhubarb is one of the pleasures of summer.
    We can't get it over here and I'm missing it dearly.
    Your cake looks so tempting Susan, golden brown and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!