Sunday, April 6, 2014

Spicy Shrimp (or Lobster) Remoulade on Molasses-Butter Toast


Have I mentioned our Gourmet Group?  Just once or twice, I'm sure :)  There are 10 of us - five couples.  We rotate hosting and creating the menu for our 'turn'.  One recipe is assigned to each non-hosting couple to prepare. This past weekend, one of the other couples hosted and my husband and I were assigned this appetizer recipe.


This recipe was supposed to be Spicy Shrimp Remoulade.  However, our host is an avid fisherman in the Florida Keys and recently brought back these small lobster tails from his friend, a lobster fisherman, with whom he fishes. They offered them to us to use for the recipe.  Thus, the recipe became Spicy lobster Remoulade!


Finding the Wesphalian-style pumpernickel bread was the biggest challenge.  I found it at a store called Woodmans which is only in Wisconsin and Illinois but I would guess that Whole Foods or other well-stocked grocery stores would sell it also.  The brand I found (Rubschlager) came very thinly sliced in a perfectly square package.  The dense bread was delicious toasted with the molasses-butter-chili powder mixture and a perfect pairing to the spicy lobster remoulade.

Everyone at the dinner party that evening loved them!  Well worth the effort if you looking for a special appetizer.  The wonderful thing about the recipe is that absolutely everything can either be prepared the day before or in the morning of serving them. My husband and I did a 'test run' of our recipe the week before using shrimp and I would say the shrimp have a little more flavor but the lobster was a very close runner-up.

Spicy Shrimp (or Lobster) Remoulade on Molasses-Butter Toast

Adapted from Epicurious
Printable Recipe

Serves 4 (the original recipes says it serves 8 but if you truly want 8 generous servings double everything - especially if serving men)

Ingredients:

For the molasses butter:

6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter, room temperature
2 teaspoons light molasses
1/4 teaspoon chili powder

For the remoulade sauce:

1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons finely chopped celery
1 1/2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
2 1/2 teaspoons drained prepared white horseradish
2 teaspoons minced shallot
2 teaspoons ketchup
2 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon paprika
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

12-16 1 1/2-inch rounds or squares cut from Westphalian-style pumpernickel bread slices. (I cut off the crusts and cut each square into fourths)

8 ounces cooked peeled medium shrimp, or small lobsters, coarsely chopped  - I use this recipe to boil the shrimp/lobster
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives for garnish

To PrepareThe molasses butter:

Using fork, mix all ingredients in small bowl to blend.  The molasses butter can be prepared a day ahead and allowed to soften for spreading.

Preheat oven to 425°F. Spread molasses butter lightly over bread; arrange in single layer on baking sheet. Bake until bread begins to firm up, about 10 minutes. Cool. (I found the toasts took longer that the stated time to become crispy.  If undercooked, they will be tough and hard to chew. I baked mine for 12-13 minutes. I prepared the toasts in the morning and kept them in a covered container after cooling.)

The remoulade sauce:

Mix first 12 ingredients in medium bowl. The remoulade can also be made a day ahead and this also allows the flavors to blend. 

When ready to serve, mix the shrimp into remoulade sauce. (I preferred to add the remoulade to the shrimp/lobster to make sure it was not overly coated with dressing.) Top toasts with shrimp mixture. Arrange on a serving dish, sprinkle with chives and serve.

65 comments:

  1. Nice! What a beautiful and delicious recipe. We started a dinner group in our neighborhood last Fall. There's 7 couples, too many probably, but didn't want to hurt feelings. :). It's so much fun. Have a great week, hopefully Spring is appearing in your area. Just starting to here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hardest part will be where to seat them for dinner :) Yes, a beautiful day today (by that I mean 60F) and I'm working in the yard - hurray!

      Delete
  2. Yum! Sounds like something I would like. Me being a wimp tho when it comes to spicy foods, not sure I could handle the heat. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really didn't taste too spicy, Glenda. Just flavorful.

      Delete
  3. It looks as beautiful as it sounds. I hope you had a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a beautiful weekend - especially the weather today :)

      Delete
  4. Look absolutely amazing and delicious!
    I love heard about your gourmet group!
    Sounds fun:)
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very pretty and elegant:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this looks great adore fresh seafood

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect appetizer! We would love these...in fact, I know we will be trying them when it is my turn to create the menu.. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great recipe, Kate! I hope you try it. I think your group will love it.

      Delete
  8. Looks delicious! We are part of a cooking club ( a group of friends that gather monthly) and we have an amazing time. Your lobster tails look divine. No doubt they made the perfect appetizer. Cheers to your frineds for bringing back the lobster tails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have a cooking club too, Velva! It does help us try recipes we otherwise wouldn't :)

      Delete
  9. Mmmm. Hard to believe the shrimp version is more flavorful than the lobster version, but I believe you. Thankfully shrimp is more economical - love that!

    Patricia @ ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only reason the shrimp were a little more flavorful, Patricia, is because the lobster were 'warm water' lobster and the only shrimp I ever use are wild-caught Gulf shrimp which are the best-tasting we can find here.

      Delete
    2. Good to know. Your gourmet group is a lucky bunch!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful recipe! Those baby lobsters look amazing...I really miss them. Love your molasses butter toast too, Susan.
    Have a wonderful week ahead!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beauty! That sauce sounds amazing! :) ela

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you've plated this. Shrimp Remoulade is one of my all time favorites.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm with Sam--remoulade sauce is an all-time favorite usually with shrimp. Lobster sounds good. Whole Foods does have the bread. In fact, I think I have a slice or two in the freezer from Christmas. What an unusual combination!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like the sound of the combination when I first read the recipe but they are delicious together! As long as the bread is crispy enough, which it wasn't the first time I tried it. I also was very generous with the molasses butter :)

      Delete
  14. What a lovely recipe. I am having people over for cocktails this week. If I can find the bread, I just may try this with shrimp.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, wow! They look both delicious and very special to serve!

    ReplyDelete
  16. just the perfect recipe for me. super flavorful and relaxed to make (ahead) I'd go for this with anything, including tuna in a can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to try tuna, Joumana! I have lots of the pumpernickel bread left in the freezer and I was wondering what to do with it. Now I know :)

      Delete
  17. Oh my gosh! I bet they were a huge hit! Love the sauce! That was kind of your friend to share.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look amazing! I'm so glad I'm not allergic any more and can actually enjoy something like this. I'd also love it on top of a butter lettuce salad for lunch, with that bread on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must be so relieved! Great idea to use it over lettuce. That would be delicious too.

      Delete
  19. That just looks so pretty. I don't think I could find the bread, but am wondering if the canned brown bread might work...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I know what the canned brown bread is, Vee, but I think any dark rye would be okay to use. The pumpernickel I found was very thinly sliced so it worked well for an appetizer. I was even wondering how those Pinah Rye Chips would work.

      Delete
  20. How lovely does this shrimp look, it looks so delicious :D
    And the molasses butter on toast? Genius or what!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love, love lobster although is quite expensive here in Greece! Beautifully cooked Susan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe calls for shrimp anyway so no need to use lobster, Katerina :)

      Delete
  22. I seriously need to get more friends who like to cook so we can have dinner parties like this! I love the idea. And what a fancy app!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially after your nuptuals, Joanne :) It is a lot of fun.

      Delete
  23. I'm so glad we are in a gourmet group too. We try recipes we otherwise wouldn't and this is one of them. I'll have to locate the bread. It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Put lobster on an old army boot and I'll dive right in. But I'd much rather have it like this, served in small, civilized bites.
    Susan, I'm also interested in the molasses butter with the kick from the chili powder. Wonderful combination of flavors!

    Wish I were part of a gourmet group. But considering I'm not the sharing type when it comes to seafood, I'll have to try this on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow a gourmet group? Wish we had one here too, boy you have all the fun!! This shrimp looks amazingly tasty. Would love to try this soon! Thanks for the recipe Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband and I used to be part of a gourmet group and we always had a terrific time. Your shrimp or lobster remoulade sounds like a terrific appetizer.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love a gourmet group - sounds like such fun. I would love this recipe but now need an excuse to make it. The lobster looks and sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my - I am in heaven here and wish I were part of the group.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a delicious recipe Susan ! I love lobster..hugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Could there be a problem? is that why I didn't see this beautiful appy?
    Strange.. strange..
    Look at those tails..how perfect and you did them proud with such a dish..
    I love your group..Friends Forever..Lucky you guys..
    And I love that dense moist bread..no other tastes like that:)
    My first manager Rosemarie hooked me..so many many years ago..
    The plate is awfully pretty too Susan:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh, I hope there isn't a problem, Monique! Thank you - we all loved it :)

      Delete
  31. I'm so impressed with the little lobster tails-what a fantastic ingredient and how nice to have a fisherman connection! Sounds like a fun dining group that is eating very very well ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my! This dish is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I loved reading this Susan. My mother made shrimp remoulade every Christmas. In fact, the celebration didn't begin until it arrived. Her recipe doesn't resemble this one at all. Definitely going to try yours and compare. Looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I remember reading about your Gourmet Group...and always thought that it was a fun thing to do...this lobster remoulade look so elegant..and so tasty...beautifully done Susan.
    Have a wonderful weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  35. How lucky you are to have a fisherman friend! Wow, this dish looks phenomenal...the remoulade and the combination of molasses, butter and chilli....mind-blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Susan! Looks absolutely delicious! Lobster, shrimp, doesn't matter to me, I could eat this right now! :) It makes the perfect appetizer!

    I am playing catch up on emails and blogs, been out of town for a 10 days! I hope you have a great weekend, it's going to be in the upper 70's here!

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh wow, these looks delicious! Shrimp or lobster, I'll clean the whole plate!
    And it is nice to have a get-together with friends!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh my, but what a glorious appetizer! You must be the hit of your group! Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow Susan - this looks great or I could go for a couple of those tails.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow, what a great recipe. I can't wait to serve this at my next Wine Tasting Party. Perfect, and I can just hear the ooo's and ahhh's already. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!