Thursday, April 17, 2014

Dark Chocolate and Sea Salt Rice Krispie Treats


Several years ago I bought a vintage German hen mold on eBay.  My intention was to eventually fill it with melted chocolate for an Easter centerpiece.  The huge opening at the bottom and the sides that don't quite fit tightly together made me too afraid to waste perfectly good chocolate so I've only used it for display. Maybe one day I'll find a solution to my melted chocolate dilemma.


When I saw a recipe on Tastespotting for chocolate Rice Krispie treats I figured this would be the next best thing. Mind you, these aren't wimpy chocolate treats make from cocoa puffed cereal.  These are rich, dark chocolate-infused treats sprinkled with sea salt and suitable for adult enjoyment right along with the kids! The recipe made enough to fill my mold plus enough to spread in a small pan and make bunny cut-outs which I dotted with pink frosting for the eyes and will put in cello bags for my grandsons' Easter baskets.


As you can see, she is still a fine figure of a hen even though the krispie treats don't show off all of her details :-)

These treats come together very quickly, so you still have plenty of time to make them! Use your favorite Easter cookie cutter after they have cooled slightly or simply cut them into squares. 

Dark Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats

Adapted from Serious Eats

Either a 9x13-inch or two 8x8 pans will work for this recipe, depending one how thick you like them.

Serves 9
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing pan
1/8 teaspoon salt
10 1/2 ounces (one bag, about 5 cups) marshmallows
7-8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped  (I used Ghiradelli 60% Bittersweet)
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
7 cups puffed rice cereal (like Rice Krispies)
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Lightly grease pan with butter. In large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add salt, marshmallows, unsweetened chocolate, and cocoa, and melt, stirring frequently. Stir in vanilla.

Fold in puffed rice cereal until completely coated. Fold in bittersweet chocolate. Immediately spread into pan. Gently smooth top with spatula and sprinkle evenly with salt.

Let sit until set, about 30 minutes.

Cut into squares and serve.

39 comments:

  1. What a perfect Rice Krispie treat for the Easter holiday and tasty too. It makes a beautiful centerpiece for the table. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very cute and delicious krispie treats for Easter :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute, like the hen and the little bunny...
    Happy Easter Susan :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I bet the grandkids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely treat ! I wish a Very Happy Easter to you and your family, a warm hug....

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute are these...?! They came out perfect from the molds! Happy Easter! :) ela@GrayApron

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun are these krispie treats!
    Happy Easter to you and your family, Susan!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely adorable!! I bought a similar mold, except with a lamb and made cake out of it a few times; next time I will use it for these. I love the idea of eating chocolate, just not as rich as cake. Lessens the guilt! Happy Easter to you and your lovely family! (They are lucky to have you making all these delighftul things!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so adorable - you are the most creative person! Love it. Love chocolate and rice krispies. Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute and very creative. The chocolate with the rice krispies sounds delicious with a nice crunch. Happy Easter to you and your family.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the mold too:)

    Do you have those little plastic bears etc that we filled to make rice krispie treats?
    Totally reminds me of this..
    Your boys will be GLEEFUL:)
    So cute!!!
    Have a wonderful Easter dear Susan..

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandkids would be thrilled with chocolate Rice Krispy Treats! I love the little hen you made in your mold, Susan, I don't have a mold but will try your suggestion to press the mixture onto a pan and cut it with cookie cutters. I know my grown up kids will like this too. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cute ! I bet your grandchildren love these till no end !! You are the best Sue and so creative!! Have a wonderful Easter !! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like my kind of Rice Krispie Treat! That chocolate would take a treat I already love and send it over the top. I hope you have a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cool mold, your hen turned out cute Susan! Happy Easter-have fun with the kids:@)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a fan of regular rice krispie treats, but these sound good. Your Grands will enjoy the bunnies.
    Have a very Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  17. And that's one mold I must have. I could easily be a hoarder of antique molds, which scares me just a little bit.
    Susan, your RKT chocolate chick is adorable! I'll be taking notes in regards to the sprinkle of salt at the end.
    Have a blessed Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful treat and so decorative. A great way to use your beautiful mold as well. I imagine these treats are most delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's probably a little weird that I have a strange desire to bite off that rice krispie head. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting treat. I'm sorry but Babbo is already spoken for, but I'd be happy to send you three or four others :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just had to take a second look. I know your cute hen must be history by now, but as I was looking through some vintage molds, I found a rooster mold I forgot I even had. If it hadn't been for your creation, I probably would've never found it. So . . . how many more days until Easter? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. this is fun hope your easter was wonderful

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think you found the perfect way to use this mold Susan! These rice crisps not only do they look delicious but also are really very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow! That looks so adorable. I bet there were some happy faces when everyone saw that! Hope you had a marvelous Easter, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hello! Long time no see and I don't know why! I love your blog! These treats look amazing! Since I have tons of cutters I'd like to give them a try! Thank you for the recipe.

    Hope you're having a lovely spring!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful way to use rice krispies!
    I just found your blog and really like the treats!
    Chantal

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is so unique Susan. I love it. The mold is beautiful too. Hope you had a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  28. She's a beauty! Now you're giving me ideas for one of my bundt pans (a forest) that doesn't work so well for its intended purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I loved this decoration. How innovative...great idea. Thanks!!

      Delete
  29. Hi Susan,
    This is a lovely way to use the mold! A great idea to make rice krispie treat! I bet it brought smiles to anyone who sees it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is absolutely cute Susan and I live your chicken mold, look lovely!
    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  31. How clever and cute…I have to pass this on the my daughter who loves making rice kris pie treats.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Susan!
    This has to be the ultimate Rice Krispie treat dessert-which I totally have a thing for....but that's another story!
    A Happy belated Easter to you and a Happy Mothers Day coming up right around the corner..now I have to find an interesting mold to create my own dessert/decoration-I know my grand kids would go crazy for this one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great idea for the mold Susan! I bet it was good!
    I wish I had saved my jello egg molds, my gkids are suddenly into jello! You can buy molds, but I couldn't find the 2 part egg molds they used to have.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is such a fun idea Susan and so easy. You can do anything with Rice Krispies but somehow I always forget about them. Thanks for the inspiration. Darling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Susan, what a great way to use the mold! I bet it those treats were very tasty too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You have found a great creative way to use your hen mold! very nice.


    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  37. The moold just like it is, is already adorable for the Easter table, but those crispies...I know every child will just be nuts about it! I love the sprinkling of sea salt..it goes so well with chocolate. We have Lindt here called..."au fleur de sel"..and naturally it is my favorite.
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!