Monday, April 14, 2014

Bunny Buns


I saw these adorable rolls on Pinterest last week.  I knew my young grandsons would love to see these on the Easter table next weekend and I think they will bring a smile to the adults too :)

I did a test run on Saturday - which did not go well. First, the dough did not rise very well,  then I over-baked them!  "Add insult to injury" as they say. 


Sunday, I tried them again with different yeast and made sure my timer was set (and actually running).  Success!  I only wish I had made the ears a little longer as I think they could be mistaken for mice.  By the time I make these for dinner next weekend, I think I'll have all of the wrinkles worked out :-)


The idea for the bunny buns shape came from this blog.  I decided instead to use a recipe for egg buns formulated for bread machines which I found in my copy of  Bread Machine Magic.  They are really good! Just the right amount of buttery sweetness and soft and fluffy in the center.


In preparation for Easter, the decorations have come out of storage (some old, a couple new) and eggs have been colored.  Spring has teased us with some lovely days and even some Easter-y outdoor flowers! (We won't talk about the snow in forecast later today.)

I hope this spring season of birth and renewal brings you joy!  Happy Easter!



Bunny Buns

Adapted from Bread Machine Magic
Printable Recipe

Makes 16 Bunny Buns or 18 Regular Buns

1/4 cup milk
2 eggs, mixed together lightly
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons active, dry yeast (I used quick rising yeast)

1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water (for egg wash)

Please a large piece of parchment paper or silicone liner on a 18 x 13 inch baking pan (half sheet).

Place all ingredients except egg wash egg, into bread machine in the order recommended by your bread machine. Select the Dough cycle and press Start.

When the dough cycle is finished (my machine takes about 1-1/2 hours), turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.

Gentle roll and stretch the dough into an 18-inch rope. With a sharp knife or bench scraper cut the dough first into 6 pieces and then cut each of those pieces into 3 pieces. Each piece should weight about 1 ounce if you have a digital scale.

For bunny buns, roll 16 pieces into a ball and then stretch slightly (2 pieces of dough are reserved for the 'ears' and/or 'tails', if desired.) Place on the prepared baking sheet. For the bunny shape, I squeezed one third of the ball between my thumb and forefinger to form the head area. To make the ears, pull off a small piece of one of the reserved dough pieces and roll it into a thin rope about 4-5 inches long. Cut the rope in half and bend each piece into an 'ear' and place between the head and body. With a toothpick dipped in flour, press the base of the ears firmly into the dough to keep them in place. Then, poke two eye holes deep into the head with the toothpick. Continue with the rest of the dough balls.

When finished, covered the pan lightly with a tea towel or parchment paper and allow to rise until doubled - about 30-45 minutes.

Preheat oven to 375F. Brush rolls lightly with beaten egg/water wash and bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.

May be served warm or cold.

34 comments:

  1. ^_^ sono bellissimi!!!! complimenti!! a presto ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Nana2 .. isn't it amazing how little ones inspire to decorate and bake for Easter?:)

    Everything is so cute..especially Mack:)
    I Pinned those bunnies too:)
    I think I have too much bread going on for brunch so I may have to pass.
    They make us want to make everything to excite them:)
    They are really really cute Susan..Boys and girls will LOVEI went back to look at him..Your dark haired beauty..one of each you have:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these cute bunnies and your pictures are amazing Susan!

    Happy Easter dear!
    And love this cute and lovely boy!!

    omy Mine twins are teens now! but still love Easter time:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun these will be for that adorable boy! I'm spending Easter with our youngest son so won't be putting anything on the table. Happy Easter! May the snow melt fast!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! One of those slathered with some butter would be so good. Enjoyed the pics Easter and Spring pictures. Your Grand is so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bunny buns are cute! I won't mention the chick rolls I tried yesterday that I'm too chicken to post about:@) Happy Easter Week Susan, have fun with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Easter is going to be rocking at your house!!!!

    Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These made me laugh out loud - how absolutely adorable! That is perfect Easter fun :) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bunny buns are so darn cute Susan! I made the bunny ear napkins (finally), and I guess these are next if I have the time. Love the black and white eggs! Happy Easter to you and your family. It will be fun with the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable bunny buns! I bet your grandkids will go bonkers over these. Have a great day, and I hope it didn't snow by you today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! My grandson would love these too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're so incredibly cute! Really adorable.

    Patricia @ ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute bunny rolls...agree the ears need to be a little longer. Your grandson is adorable.
    Have a great week, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How adorable are these bunny buns! You are so creative, Susan.
    Have a lovely day!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just adorable! I have all these eggs from our henhouse and need to use them as well; I will make these lebanese-style with mahlab! Love the pictures of the boys painting eggs with markers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just adorable! I have all these eggs from our henhouse and need to use them as well; I will make these lebanese-style with mahlab! Love the pictures of the boys painting eggs with markers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm in love with your bunny buns! :) ela@GrayApron

    ReplyDelete
  18. They are so cute and adorable Susan! We would love them all in my home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. They are definitely adorable. Kids of all ages would love these.
    Happy Easter.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute buns! You are right, not only the kids would love it, the adults would enjoy it too. Beautifully done! And your grandson is so adorable!
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So much fun in a cute little Easter themed bun-my grand kids and kids (!) would love these special treats. Happy Easter ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. We are getting your white dusting plus right now..
    Why is Easter always an in-between season here?
    Brown grass..snow..mud..no blooms..
    I think the theme from The Beverly Hillbillies comes to mind..
    Californy.... is the place to be:)

    I loved that show..

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those are so cute!! I love all of your Easter ideas. We had snow here Sunday night, still colder than I would like. What a crazy "Spring". Happy Easter to you and your family!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I saw those on Pinterest too...thought them adorable. We all learn from each other's mistakes and miscalculations. (I messed up a recipe totally today, for a really silly mistake too. So badly there aren't even any lessons to learn. Hah!) Your final batch looks perfect. Your grandsons will love them. They are a cute pair...and I love your Easter mosaic. Made me smile.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea Susan, they look delicious :) Great pictures as usual, your grandson and everyone is going to love them! My grandson would love these too! :)

    Did you see my recent post, Chocolate Chip Paradise Pie
    Michael
    https://michaelswoodcraft.wordpress.com/2014/04/15/chocolate-chip-paradise-pie/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh these are just too cute! Pinning:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow these are adorable your such a great grandma

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such fat and cute bunnies :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Susan, these bunnies are so cute...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Easter Susan, your bunnies are adorable. P. S. Check out my light whole wheat Bunnies on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I can just imagine the expression on your grand's sweet face when these bunnies came out of the oven. So darn cute –and the rolls are too! :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!