Sunday, May 1, 2011

Garbanzo Burgers


A week ago, I was lucky enough to win a copy of the cookbook, Super Natural Cooking, by Heidi Swanson from Barbara at Moveable Feasts. Thank you, Barbara! You may know Heidi Swanson from her culinary website 101 Cookbooks or Mighty Foods. She's a wonderful photography and graphic designer and great cook.

Super Natural Cooking is filled with recipes on how to add more healthy, natural ingredients to our diet. When I first leafed through the book, I was surprised to see so many recipes that sounded not only healthy but flavorful as well, including recipes for desserts. This recipe for Garbanzo Burgers was the first to grab my attention with its ingredients and creativity. 


Rather than making a pattie using beans to use as the 'burger', the pattie becomes the 'bun'! What a great idea.

A delicious mixture of garbanzo beans, egg, sprouts,, onion, parsley, and whole wheat bread crumbs form the patty which then becomes the bun for more healthy filling ingredients. The original recipe calls for chopped cilantro, which I'm not a huge fan of, so I substituted parsley.  I also decided to add a healthy splash of Tabasco for 'kick'. 


I am growing my own arugula sprouts right now and it's such a fun and easy way to add sprouts to salads or sandwiches like this.


The mixture is then formed into patties and fried in olive oil until golden on both sides.  The patties are carefully sliced in half and then your imagination is the limit for the filling.  I chose avocado, tomato, chives, more arugula sprouts, and sliced radishes.

I think these would be a wonderful served with a salad or roasted vegetables also.


It was such a flavorful and delicious 'burger' and a wonderful lunch or meatless meal.


I'm looking forward to trying more recipes from Super Natural Cooking after this very tasty, first experience.


Garbanzo Burgers
Adapted from Super Natural Cooking
Printable Recipe

Note - This recipe is halved from the original and yielded 5 medium Garbanzo Burgers

For the garbanzo burgers:

1 can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (about 1-1/3 cups)
2 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
Zest of 1/2 lemon
Several dashes of Tabasco
1/2 cup sprouts, such as arugula, alfalfa, broccoli,
1/2 cup toasted whole-grain bread crumbs
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil for frying

Filling ideas:

Additional sprouts
Avocado slices
Tomato slices
Chives or sliced onion
Radish slices
Another dash or two of Tabasco or your favorite salsa.

Combine the drained garbanzo beans, eggs, and salt in a food processor and puree until mixture is the consistency of thick, chunky hummus. Pour into a mixing bowl and add the parsley, onion, lemon zest and Tabasco. Add the bread crumbs and stir until blended. Allow to rest for a couple of minutes while the pan is heating so the crumbs absorb some of the moisture. You should be able to easily form the mixture into patties after this time.

Preheat a large frying pan (I used a large cast iron skillet) with the olive oil over medium low heat. Add as many patties as you can without crowding. Cover the pan and cook them for 5-10 minutes, until the bottoms begin to brown. If necessary, turn up the heat slightly if they are not browning. Flip the patties over and cook for another 7 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the patties from the skillet and cool on a wire rack and cook any remaining patties.

Carefully cut each patty in half with a long, serrated knife. Add your favorite fillings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

52 comments:

  1. Oh, so interesting! I would love to try this recipe. I assume you ate the patties with a knife and fork rather than hold as a bun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sprouts are so cute:) I have not tried yet..and the burgers look very appetizing..love the idea of the patties becoming the buns..the radishes are beautiful too..your collage..well I love your collages:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say it all the time, I love beans and this sounds like something different! Thanks Susan:@)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious. I'm not sure if it sounds delicious. It does sound interesting and if I ever get brave...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! I love chickpeas and am always looking for ways to use them in new ways so this is perfect! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so delicious and I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lorraine, they actually together beautifully so I was able to pick it up and eat it with my hands.

    Monique, thank you :) I'm going to try and grow sprouts more often - they were delicious.

    Vee, if you like the ingredients, you love these. I was pleasantly surprised.

    Thank you, all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I have all the fixins for this recipe and I'm going to try it! Thanks and Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe sounds yummy; with a vegetarian in the family I could make these for her for dinner some time. I wouldn't mind trying them either.
    Thanks for sharing and congratulations on winning the book.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could eat garbanzo beans every day as I love them so much! I'm on a serios diet so I think I shall be making these low fat bean bun/bugers quite a bit - thanks for sharing the recipe! This sounds like another "must have" cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds likes something I could try. Is it dry? Sounds like it might be.
    Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Heidi's blog. These look delicious but I am not sure I could convince my meat loving husband that these are a burger.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love Garbanzo beans! I'll be making this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such an original and healthy burger; I am not sure about my husband but this would be right up my alley; loved your sprouts.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea with the patties as the buns! I love garbanzos so I'll have to try~ YOUR photography is amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. so inspiring! I'm thinking to start growing sprouts, too! And that burger. heidi's work is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a clever idea and your sandwich looks delicious and healthy - the bread below sounds fantastic - I'll have to get the family baker to have a look.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a take on the ubiquitous falafel, made healthier without the frying; I totally approve and will make a mental note to try it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is quite clever and looks and sounds delicious. I'm glad to hear that it worked substituting parsley for cilantro. I like cilantro but my husband does not.

    We had a lovely sunny day yesterday. Today is overcast and gray. I've put my turtleneck sweaters away once and had to pull them out.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sandwich look delicious! Love the addition of tabasco! I thought falafel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glenda, I didn't think it was dry at all. You could try adding a few less bread crumbs if you are concerned about that. I think the tomato and avocado in the filling bring a lot of moistness to this 'burger' too.

    Thank you everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love garbanzos and this burgers look amazing! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Garbanzo burgers look really delicous.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These burgers look delicious and I would love to try them. But I don't savor time in the kitchen. I wish I lived with a fantastic cook who would prepare them for me! I would rather sew, or take photos or blog! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks excellent, Susan! No beans for me though. Just jelly beans!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The burger looks fantastic! I've never had garbanzo burgers before but I am going to make it for sure very soon. Looks really good Susan, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me again. :D Thanks for the info. on the burgers.
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What an awesome idea! I'd love to try it myself! I'd also use parsley instead of cilantro. I love cilantro but more than just a little bit gives me heartburn. :(

    ReplyDelete
  30. Susan, these look delicious and I love chickpeas. Usually I marinate them or make hummus, then I want pita chips, not so good! But I think I will try these as a burger and wrap them in lettuce leaves. I agree with you on cilantro, too soapy-tasting for me. xo,

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow, I sure like the idea of using garbanzo beans...the patties look delicious and what a healthy and hearty meal. Have a great week ahead Susan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. These look really good! We're trying to eat more meatless meals, and this "burger" looks like one that we'd love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Susan, that burger is one I would really enjoy!

    I have been sprouting mung beans for my salads at the office ;o) I love seeing them sprout.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This looks delicious! I would like to try this lovely recipe Susan!Warm hugs & kisses...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Heidi's recipe is very similar to falafel, so I know I'd enjoy it.
    And, Susan, after looking at your photos, I know I'll be growing my own arugula this Spring. So darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Delicious!!! Congrats for winning one of Barbara's giveaway cookbooks!

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  37. I know these were very tasty because in Greece we make patties from garbanzo beans and I love them. We serve them with tzatziki and I can eat indefinite number of them! I am sure this book has other beautiful recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Susan - that is just way too healthy for me!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  39. congrast on winning the book, i have heard such great reviews!! yummy dinner idea!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  40. I won this book from Barbara also and actually stayed up last night flipping through it. Can't wait too cook from it!

    These garbanzo burgers look delicious and how cute is it that they form the bun!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This looks wonderful and I love it the burger acts as a bun! Great idea! Love your sprouts, they look crunchy and yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm not at all a burger fan, but this truly looks appetizing and with the children coming home for ther weekend...a real alfresco meal this could be!
    Lovely photos as usual Susan!
    ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  43. Very interesting combination! They look great and very healthy:)

    ReplyDelete
  44. We've been trying to eat healthier! This is definitely one I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  45. So pleased you're already cooking from the book, Susan! And you've sure picked a winner! What an interesting recipe and I was surprised to read in the comments that it held together well enough to pick it up with your hands! That was my first thought. It truly looks delicious and it always helps that it's healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Absolutely brilliant! Susan, your photos are gorgeous, too - and your enthusiasm is evident. I cannot wait to try this. I hardly ever eat meat and am looking for recipes just like this. YUM. Luck you to win the cookbook!
    I am sorry I have neglected reading your posts. I have truly missed you and your writing and inspiration. The Eat Alberta Conference was last Saturday, and I am just returning to some frame of normalcy - but, with the next one to plan, I fear it won't be long... but I have learned to do MUCH less next time!
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  47. I like the idea! Much healthier too :)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Yum! Sounds great! I've tried it with Lentils before, but I think Chick peas will turn out much better! Can you think of any alternative to the breadcrumbs though?
    Thanks for posting this!! Beautiful photos
    -Sophia

    ReplyDelete
  49. Sophia, thank you!

    I haven't tried any of these alternatives, but perhaps you could use oatmeal, ground almonds or even ground rice cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  50. i cooked this today and WE LOVE THEM!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know, Pati! I really love to get feedback like this :)

      Delete
  51. I had seen a month ago a recipe in a French magazine for garbanzo burgers and promised myself I would make it; today I see yours! WOW!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!