Sunday, November 21, 2010

Mustard Puffs and How To Make a Turkey Napkin Fold



I loved the simplicity of this recipe when I first saw it in Dorie Greenspans' new cookbook Around My French Table.  Dijon mustard wrapped in puff pastry and baked until golden brown. And it can be prepared ahead of time. Perfect for Thanksgiving, I thought!


I had hoped to use the French mustard that a good friend brought back for me from her trip to France in September but when I read how much mustard I would be using, I chose a good, locally produced, mustard rather than using my dear gift. Instead,  I used a deli-style mustard with horseradish so the mustard flavor would really stand out.


The puff pastry is rolled out, the mustard is spread on the lower half of the dough and then the top is folded down over the mustard half.


Then, the dough is cut into strips and placed on a lined baking sheet and baked until golden brown and delicious. My biggest change to Dorie's recipe was using freshly ground, coarse pepper and sea salt to top the puffs.  I loved how it brought out the flavor of the mustard. Perfect with a glass of wine on a chilly fall evening!


These are easy and soooo good! I found that the mustard flavor increases the cooler they get. You see them served in a beer glass and they would taste wonderful with beer. You will find the recipe below.


Today, I got a head-start on setting my Thanksgiving table and folded the napkins.  (I'm showing you the whole table completely set, but afterward, I tipped the glassware upside down and removed the dinner plates so they won't get dusty.)  I loved setting my Easter table with bunny napkins and when I found this video for turkey napkins I had to try it!  I think it was very easy and I love how they look.


You can find the video clip on how to fold the turkey napkins by clicking here.  I don't use the gourd as shown in the video. 


Mustard Puffs
Adapted from Mustard Batons by Dorie Greensspan
Printable Recipe

2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
All purpose flour, for rolling out puff pastry
½ cup Dijon mustard
1 large egg
Coarsely ground pepper
Sea Salt

A ruler
Pizza or pastry cutter

Place the racks inside the oven so that the oven is divided into thirds. Preheat oven to 400F. Place a silicone baking mat or parchment paper on two large baking sheets.

Take one pastry sheet out of the package and keep the other refrigerated until ready to use. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough until it measures 12 x 16 inches, approximately, with the shortest end facing you. Find the middle and mark it lightly. On the lowest half, spread about ¼ cup of mustard, stopping about 1/8 inch from the side and bottom edges. Fold the top of the dough over the bottom. Mark the pastry every ¾ inch or so, then cut into strips using a pizza/pastry cutter or sharp knife.

Carefully, transfer the strips to one of the lined baking sheets (keeping about 2 inches between them since they will puff up) and chill or freeze while you work on the second sheet of puff pastry. At this point, you can freeze them on the sheets and then wrap air-tight until ready to use for up to 2 months.

When ready to bake, beat the egg with a little cold water and brush the tops of the strips. Sprinkle them with coarsely ground pepper and sea salt (Dorie suggests poppy or sesame seeds).

Bake for 8 minutes, rotate and transfer the sheets, then bake for another 7 to 8 minutes until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.

51 comments:

  1. The mustard puffs sound fantastic! Lovin' the turkey fold napkins, they are really cute! Happy Thanksgiving Susan:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look wonderful Susan..the little puffs and the serviettes..
    I think that recipe is a keeper..Did you buy her book? Do you love it?

    You're so organized..everything will be wonderful nana.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love easy tasty recipes like this.

    Wonderful table setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the puffs look amazing! I think I could do the puffs somewhat, but mastering the napkins is another story! Mine might end up looking like anything but a turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mustard puffs sound wonderful, can't wait to try them. Did you serve them with anything in particular?
    The turkey napkins are cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The turkey fold napkins are too cute..... but the recipe is really very good....last month in Rome we bought a french cognac mustard...now I know how to use it..thank you !!!Have a very nice Thanksgiving week... xoxoxoxo Flavia

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow cool recipe and love the napkin i bet you will have a grand thanksgiving spread :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the kind words and holiday wishes ;)

    Monique, I got the book from the library to see if I would like it. I did! It's on my Christmas wish list now :)

    Mimi, they are so tasty on their own I don't think they need to be served with anything. I'm going to put them on the appetizer table with other nibbles on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mustard Puffs... YUM! And very cute Turkey napkin :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the looks of the mustard puffs! Your napkins look darling...Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great appetizer! The napkin folds are so cute!!! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The mustard sticks are a phenomenal idea. The photos are beautiful. I especially love the turkey napkins!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mustard puffs look delicious! And your table looks beautiful! Have a blessed and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your mustard puffs look sensational! I'm definitely bookmarking that one. I never go wrong with Dorie!

    ReplyDelete
  15. thank you so much for dropping in. I so appreciated your comment. I am delighted I found your blog. this is fabulous.. and I cannot wait to try out the mustard puffs! I'm on way to read some more...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mustard puffs sound and look so good - I have saved the recipe - Thanks for sharing. I am always looking for something simple with lots of flavor to make.
    Have a great week!
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  17. Susan, I have to buy Dorie's cookbook! I've been seeing so many good recipes from it on blogs lately. This one looks like a wonderful treat! I'm going to make this for Superbowl Sunday as a game snack. I love mustard!

    Thanks for the cute turkey fold napkins instructions link! This looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never had these with mustard, but they must taste delicious. Sounds like a nice light but flavorful way to start off Thanksgivng.

    Thanks so much for being a part of Seaonsonal Sundays!

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the turkey folded napkins...Hope you have a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your wonderful table setting Susan!Lovely recipe for next Christmas ...Thanks for sharing...Happy Thanksgiving dear, a hug...

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks seriously good! Wow, I love your library! Would love to have this book too, but it is so expensive! I'm saving up for this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love these mustard puffs, they look pretty and so easy to make. What a great idea! LOVE the napkins too. What a great post filled with ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a super simple AND flavorful idea for appetizers! I copied it before I commented. Isn't frozen puff pastry divine?

    Your tutorial on napkin folding was fun. Someplace, who knows where, I have a little paperback on napkin folding. Bought it years ago. Now I'm going to look for it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great snack! You really could use almost anything inside these, couldn't you.?
    And hey thanks for the video on the napkin folding.

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are such lovely appetizers. Plus they are very easy to make. Great for gatherings with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how the Mustard Puffs look in the beer glasses. I'm sure they're as tasty as they look. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love that turkey fold napkin! Mustard Puffs sound so delicious...

    ReplyDelete
  28. Adoro questa ricetta Susan, è perfetta per Natale!!! complimenti :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. So simple, yet so elegant! Lovely table setting.

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!

    :)
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  31. really like the branches on the table setting

    ReplyDelete
  32. I am sold!! I love mustard and these look fantastic. I wanted to make some of these with parmesan but I would like these even better. Your photos are fabulous as always.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! That looks so easy to make, and I agree that they would be great with beer. Mmmmm.
    I'm so impressed with your napking folding skills! The last time I folded fancy napkins was for the reception at my cousin's wedding, and the design wasn't nearly as intricate.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The mustard puffs look awesome, but I'm definitely bookmarking this so I can do turkey napkin folds around the Thanksgiving dinner table this year! SO cute :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  35. Susan..I looked in the bookstore to see if I would like it since I am not cooking much real food these days I have to be sure:) But they didn't have it..we have the same thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Happy Thanksgiving! Your receipe sounds and looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I so appreciate each and every one of your comments! Thank you all for taking the time to share a few words.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Everything looks wonderful!... Lots of inspiration for my Thanksgiving Dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  39. these look irresistible! Love your inspired idea of topping them with the pepper and salt; love that mustard from Beaune, I was there decades ago, it is in Burgundy, I believe, the best food region in France in my opinion! anyway, this puff pastry looks fabulous: was it pepperidge farm??????

    ReplyDelete
  40. Both ideas are so simple and absolutely stunning. It is the little touches that make such a difference to an evening.
    :)
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love your wonderful table setting, Susan,and the turkey napkin is a masterpiece!The mustard puffs look delicious too. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  42. OMG, you set your table days before Thanksgiving?? I am so impressed. I am lucky if I do it before the guests arrive!!! NOte to self, try doing it the day before!!!! The mustard straws look amazing... and the napkin fun... do you need to starch them, I wonder??
    Have a great thanksgiving, Susan... I know it will be lovely and delicious~!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Leave it to Dorie to give us one fantastic and easy appetizer for Thanksgiving! Good call on not using your super special mustard...save it for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Someone utters the word: "mustard" and my mouth instantly waters. I love that stuff, and paired with puff pastry would be a winning combination.

    Susan, I have a thing for folded napkins, so I'll have to check out the turkey 'dressing.'

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  45. This settles it! I am going to have to add Dorie's new cookbook to my already vast (but room for more) cookbook collection. The puffs look delicious. Now I'm off to do that napkin fold--or at least give it a try.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  46. i just added puff pastry to my shopping list

    :-)

    wishing you a happy thanksgiving, my friend

    kary

    ReplyDelete
  47. Those look tasty. I love pretzels with mustard and I'm imagining the taste to be somewhere in the neighborhood. Cute napkin! Like origami :-)

    ReplyDelete
  48. Such a lovely tablesetting! Exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I made these for my Thanksgiving and they were quite a hit. Check them out on my blog (I linked back to you! http://pennyforyourpots.blogspot.com/2010/12/doughnt-mind-if-i-do.html) Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Turkey fold is a bit of a stretchsince this is just an 80's fan fold turned around......

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!