Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Slow Roasted Tomato Pasta with Grilled Salmon


About this time last year, Cathy at Wives with Knives, shared a recipe for slow roasted tomatoes that she had found in her local newspaper. She mentioned that it was so good that it was now her favorite oven-roasted tomato recipe. I saved the recipe but didn't have a good tomato crop last year.

This year, I have a bumper crop of Chocolate Cherry tomatoes! I knew I needed to do something other than serving them in salads since they are ripening in abundance!


They are the most prolific tomato that I have ever grown and they are bigger than the average cherry tomato and so delicious. I'm not absolutely certain about the name because I bought them last year at the farmers' market, saved the seed from one of the tomatoes, and started plants from that seed early this spring. (I'll be sharing my method of saving seed in a post tomorrow).  Following Cathy's recipe, I halved the tomatoes, but didn't bother scooping out the seeds as she did, because it would have been very labor intensive with small-size  tomatoes.


The tomato halves are tossed with a little sugar and salt and placed cut-side-down on a cookie sheet.  Garlic and onion are sauteed and sprinkled over the tomatoes along with freshly cut basil.  Then, a generous amount of olive oil is added and then the tomatoes are roasted for two to three hours.  I only roasted mine for two hours as they were small.

Two hours later, the lovelies were done.  The skins slipped off so easily after they cooled.  I strained the tomatoes and saved the roasted tomato-onion-basil oil for another use. Cathy suggests using it as a dipping oil for baguettes.  I'm trying that tonight!


The slow-roasted tomatoes made a delicious sauce for the fettucini that I served alongside grilled salmon for our dinner tonight. Oh my goodness, these slow roasted tomatoes are so tasty! I can't wait to harvest enough to make another batch of slow roasted tomatoes for the freezer! The roasted tomatoes would also make a delicious condiment for the grilled salmon.


Your can find the recipe for these delicious slow-roasted tomatoes along with Cathy's tips and suggestions at Wives with Knives here.  Enjoy!

This is my family's favorite recipe for grilled salmon

Grilled Salmon with Garlic Butter
Serves 4
Printable Recipe

4 tablespoons (½ stick) of butter
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp Lawry’s seasoning salt
½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1 tsp Mrs. Dash Original blend seasoning
Juice of one lemon, strained

1 large, skinless salmon fillet (about 2 pounds) cut into 4 individual portions

Preheat a cast-iron grill or fish grate on an outdoor grill over medium heat. (I prefer to use a cast-iron grill because the skin gets beautifully crispy).

Stir first 4 ingredients together in a small saucepan and cook on stove until the garlic is fragrant. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice.

Spray the pre-heated grill pan or grate with nonstick cooking spray and grill the salmon filets for 3-4 minutes, until nicely browned, then turn over with large spatula and grill another 3-4 minutes.

Remove the filets carefully with the spatula and place on a serving platter. Spoon the garlic butter over the filets. Tent the platter loosely with a large piece of aluminum foil and allow to rest for 5-7 minutes before serving.

24 comments:

  1. Susan, I just had my first taste of these wonderful cherry chocolate tomatoes yesterday at a local organic garden and they were delicious! I can only imagine how wonderful your sauce is with the roasting. And that oil will be such a great thing to use later! Very interested in your seed gleaning. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm...very good and inviting!!! congratulation!!! kiss by Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! I roast tomatoes several times a week during the summer- it's one of my favorite ways to enjoy them!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  4. buonissimi i pomodorini ciliegia!! e queste fettuccine con salmone e pomodorini devono essere favolose!!complimenti!!
    ciao Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, this sounds delicious and is just my kind of food. I love salmon and must try this! Your photos are always the best and make me want to dig in with a fork! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sun-dried tomatoes. I make them every September and keep them in olive oil throughout the winter. Great recipes, I love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love sun-dried tomatoes. I make them every September and keep them in olive oil throughout the winter. Great recipes, I love the flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Numm! Great idea this slow roasted sauce... and saving the seeds... money saving and delicious. I always saved the juice from tomatoes in a bag in the freezer and used it for pot roast... made quite a good sauce. Can't wait to try yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're very lucky - not all tomato seeds will germinate. You must have purchased an heirloom variety. Your tomatoes look amazing, and your sauce looks even better. I love the flavor of roasted toms.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are lovelies :) Looks delicious! I didn't have homegrown this year but look out next year! Saving the recipe, roasting works so well for store bought, too, brings out the flavor so well! Chocolate cherries look amazing, love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Chocolate Cherries are new to me but they look great, as does your beautiful pasta side-enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a green thumb and your a gourmet chef!! These roasted tomatoes look so yummy, the whole dinner does :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a prolific cherry tomato plant as well. It's called Black Cherry but it looks a lot like yours. I've been roasting Romas this summer, but I'll have to try a pan of the cherries using this recipe. The salmon looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a delicous recipe! My kind of food! Cathy has the greatest recipes doesn't she... and so do you, my friend.
    Beautiful, mouthwatering images!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't wait to try this new way of slow roasting tomatoes. The salmon recipe sounds wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh the things I would do for a bumper crop of tomatoes...especially ones with the word chocolate in the name! Slow roasted tomatoes truly are a dream, especially when paired with pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh man, nothing better than the freshest of the fresh tomato sauce. It looks so fabulous!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brava Susan,mouthwatering photos! I love this recipe, kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't wait for summer tomatoes to come and I can start making these jewels. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A while back, I saw Ina Garten make slow roasted tomatoes and after trying it once, I was sold! So much flavor! We use them for appetizers and salads. Can't imagine why I haven't tried them with pasta. I will now....

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Susan - I'm so happy you like this recipe. It's one of my favorite and I'm always finding new ways to use to use those luscious tomatoes. Pasta is always my first choice.

    Thank you so much for the link to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It sounded so refined I thought it was going to be harder to make! So easy and so tasty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous pics, it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just made another batch yesterday. Guess what's for dinner tonight :-)

    Thank you, everyone for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!