Sunday, April 25, 2010

An Inspired Antipasto Salad



It's interesting how ideas come together for a meal.

We had a huge dinner last night at our favorite Serbian restaurant called Three Brothers with a group of friends.  I ate a delicious Serbian salad and also shared spinach burek for the firest course, had a combination plate of stuffed grape leaves, Sarma with pickled cabbage, Chevapchichi and apple strudel for dessert - oh my happy but aching tummy! Today, I knew that dinner would have to be early and on the lighter side but the taste of those wonderful Serbian Chevapchichi sausages still lingered in my mind and on my taste buds.


This morning, I was looking at an email of the weekly specials from my favorite grocery store and saw that their homemade Italian sausages with provolone, parsley and peppers were on sale...which made me think that they could be mighty tasty in an antipasto salad and also satisfy my continued craving for the Chevapchichi I had last night.


After looking over several antipasto salad recipes, I combined the parts that I liked best from each and came up with my own version of antipasto salad.



Even though it was chilly and rainy outside, it was the perfect end to my weekend!


Antipasto Salad 
Loosely Adapted from Food and Wine and Giada deLaurentis
Printable Recipe

Serves 2 for a main course salad or 4 as a starter salad

1 small head of romaine lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
1 small head of Boston lettuce (or the lettuces or your choice), same prep as above
1 can of cannelini beans, rinsed and drained on paper toweling
4 Italian sausages with provolone and peppers, grilled, cooled and sliced on the diagonal (or any Italian cured deli meat such as salami cut into bite-sized pieces)
4-6 ounces of Provolone cheese, cubed
2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
Red Wine Vinaigrette, recipe below

Red Wine Vinaigrette

¼ cup good red wine vinegar
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon honey
1 heaping teaspoon chopped shallot
Pinch of dried red pepper flakes
Pinch of dried oregano
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Mix the vinegar, honey, shallot, red pepper flakes and oregano and whisk. Gradually blend in the oil until emulsified. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper, to taste.

Combine salad ingredients in a large bowl, add enough red wine vinaigrette to coat lightly, toss and serve.

Enjoy!

28 comments:

  1. Boy does that sausage look wonderful! I'll be looking for something similar. What a great looking salad Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sausage look absolutely fantastic, what a great idea to build and antipasta around it! Susan, it looks fabulous, now I can't stop thinking about that sausage!

    Thanks for the mention :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks and sounds like a perfect meal when not wanting something so 'heavy'. I could see making this quite often in the summer...Thanks for your adaption!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks and sounds wonderful - my kind of food! I am eating one of those "healthy things" for dinner tonight.:-(
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspired indeed. Wonderful recipe, gorgeously photographed. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WHAT A GREAT IDEA!! i love new twists on old favourites. an antipasto salad is the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so good. It's it great to just throw something together and have it satisfying and easy?
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had Serbian food - sounds very intriguing. The salad looks perfectly colorful and delicious and I love your place setting as well, beautiful plates!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks perfect for lunch with a friend this week! Your pictures are gorgeous!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the saltiness of a really good antipasto salad. This looks seriously tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't you love it when the ingredients just sort of tell you what to do with them. It is like magic!! Great looking salad (your pictures are always great!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. I still say Mr Mack steals the show..even with this gorgeous salad..so beaufully presented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful salad. But I must say I have been looking for a good burek recipe. Have you ever posted yours? GREG

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a lovely salad, great shots and yes what a way to end the weekend...divine

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for the comments!

    Greg, I'm sorry but I didn't make the burek but had it at the Serbian restaurant that I mentioned. I wish I had the recipe - I'd love to make it at home too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've just been catching up on your blog and found the delicious salad, scone treats and the olive spread very enticing! I think I'm going to have to have a midnight snack. I've become a "follower" so I won't miss out on one delicious bite! Thanks for some nice additions to my "blog cookbook".

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh this looks wonderful they need to feature your recipe on their website lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. ciao Susan!!! ottima e invitante questa insalata! grazie della tua visita...Linda sta migliorando!! grazie!!! ciao!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that really is some good Italian sausage....this salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an absolutely amazing idea for a combination! I loove antipasto but obviously salad feels a bit healthier... combining the best of both worlds!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  21. Antipasto salad? What a splendid idea! Love the pics too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Susan, great show! Congratulations on the presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do like a good antipasto ! T=Yours looks wonderful!
    The sausage look delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks like a wonderful refreshing and hearty salad. I'm partial to the tender leaves of the Boston lettuce.

    I just noticed the picture of Mr. Mack on the sidebar - he is so angelic!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great invention, Susan! I adore composed salads like this and your label of antipasto salad describes this exactly!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I never thought of sausage in a salad but this really looks good!

    Sorry I was so far behind in commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  27. So fresh and tasty! Perfect for forthcoming summer!
    thank you for your precious recipe!
    Maria Grazia

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!