Thursday, April 29, 2010

Asparagus and Leek Frittata

I had a very special treat for lunch today!  My daughter had taken a few days of vacation this week and came for lunch with our grandson, Mack. I wanted to make something special for her, so decided on this frittata recipe from Epicurious.. 


The only small 'tweak' I made to the recipe was to add some red pepper for color and cut the butter in half and substitute olive oil. Chopped leaks are sauteed in a combination of olive oil and butter, then cut asparagus, red pepper and shiitake mushrooms are added and sauteed. 


Whisked eggs mixed with Fontina cheese are poured over the vegetables and cooked on the stovetop until almost done.  More fontina and parmesan is added to the top, and the mixture is then finished under the oven broiler until set and golden.


I served it on a bed of organic greens - delicious!  I will make certainly make this again. Without a crust to add calories it was lower in calories than a quiche but still a satisfying luncheon dish.  Served with my daughter's favorite beverage, an Arnold Palmer...freshly brewed and chilled tea mixed with lemonade.  It was a good day!


Asparagus and Leek Frittata 
Adapted from Epicurious
Printable Recipe

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 12-ounce bunch thin asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces (about 2 1/2 cups)
1 cup sliced stemmed shiitake mushrooms
1/2 cup red pepper, seeded and sliced in thin julienne
8 large omega-3 eggs
1 cup diced Fontina cheese, divided
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven broiler. Melt butter and olive oil in heavy broile-proof 10-inch-diameter skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and sauté about 4 minutes. Add asparagus, red pepper and shiitake mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.

Whisk eggs, 3/4 cup Fontina cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to skillet; fold gently to combine. Cook and stir gently until almost set. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup Fontina cheese and Parmesan cheese over the top.

Broil until frittata is puffed and cheese begins to turn golden, about 3-6 minutes (make a slice and check to make sure it is cooked through). Cut into wedges and serve.

20 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love frittatas and asparagus!!!

    Love the tooth picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks excellent! Nice and creamy!
    LOL on the toofies..good thing he is your first..you can only get away with toofie pics for the first! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww...two new toofies! My little baby niece is a year today so I'm all full of "awwws".
    Your frittatta looks wonderful and you made some great "tweaks".

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the better to eat the frittata with! This looks great and he's a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE new toofies!! And I love asparagus so this was a wonderful visit!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, those brand new toofies are perfection! I would LOVE a slice of that frittata for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If this isn't the perfect spring lunch, then I don't know what is! It looks delicious.

    And congrats on Max's new teeth! I love that picture of him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love frittata's and this looks great! Love the teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need some of that for lunch today! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the toofies :) Soon he'll be biting right into grandma's homemade goodies! The frittata looks delicious, especially with the bits of red pepper!

    I do the same with the oil and butter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Susan -- I added the correct link!

    If there are leeks at the farmer's market, this will be our lunch tomorrow!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seriously, how is anyone supposed to focus on the luscious frittata, with Mack's extreme toofie close-up?!

    My heart melteth.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I spyed the asparagus I knew this one was going to be a winner! Looks and sound delicious.. but Lil Mack is the highlight of the post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love, love, love asparagus in egg dishes! I've printed this as we are bringing in asparagus every day from our asparagus bed :)

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  15. omg he is so cute, love the recipe sorry he stole the show

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, I have to agree with sweetlife, I thought it was a delicious tart...and then I saw Mack.......man he is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the fresh asparagus we have been getting (just wish J did) and this recipe sounds and looks fantastic.

    Mack's toothies are too cute for words :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, the frittata looks delicious. We have frittata often to save on crust calories. Nothing compares to the sweet toofie pic. Precious!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is my kind of meal. I could eat frittatas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Unfortunately, my asparagus died off this past winter and I don't think I'm up to replanting and waiting several years again to harvest.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm catching up on blogs..can you tell lol. This looks great for a Sunday brunch or light dinner. Love the addition of the peppers for color..pretty and red :-) Those toofies are to die for. I can't believe how big he is already.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!