Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pork Tenderloin with Brown Sugar-Caramelized Onions and the Best Broccoli I've Ever Had!


If glazed and caramelized onions aren't enough to send you to food nirvana, how about oven-roasted broccoli with Panko crumbs and Parmesan cheese? This pork and broccoli combination is so good together!

 

The pork was gets a beautiful sear in my enameled cast iron skillet and then finished off in the oven until done.  Let the meat rest for at least 5 minutes before cutting to keep those juices in the meat and not on the cutting board.


Oven roasting broccoli (or most any other vegetable) is my favorite way to prepare it and makes it taste so much better than any other method.  The panko gives it a little crunch and the Parmesan cheese a delightful flavor. 

Enjoy!


Savoring Time in the Kitchen is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. If you purchase a product by following a link that we provide, the price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you do make a purchase through one of these links, we earn a very small commission for providing that link. Thank you for your support of Savoring Time in the Kitchen!

Pork Tenderloin with Brown Sugar Caramelized Onions

Printable Recipe

Serves 2

1 pork tenderloin
Salt and pepper to taste
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 large sweet onions, sliced
1 tablespoon brown sugar - packed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 415° F.

In a heavy skillet (I like to use this one) add 2 tablespoon of butter over medium/high heat. Add the sliced onions and cook until softened, about 10-15 minutes. Stir in the brown sugar and balsamic vinegar, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until the onions are tender and glazed, about 3 more minutes. Set aside.

Pat pork dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown pork on all sides. Reduce heat to moderate and cook pork, covered, turning occasionally, 10 minutes. Transfer pork to a shallow baking pan, cover with the caramelized onions and roast in oven until a meat thermometer registers 155° F. for barely pink meat, approximately 10 to 15 minutes.


Oven-Roasted Broccoli

Recipe adapted from Alton Brown, 2007, Food Network
Printable Recipe

4 servings

1 pound broccoli, cleaned and trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 425F.

Cut the broccoli into bite size pieces. Trim the dark green from the stalk and cut into 1/8-inch thick, round slices. Place the broccoli into a large bowl and toss with the olive oil, garlic, kosher salt and pepper and set aside.

Spread the panko into a 13 by 9-inch metal sheet pan and place into the oven for 2 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove the panko from the oven and add to the bowl with the broccoli mixture. Toss to combine. Return the mixture to the cake pan, place in the oven and roast just until the broccoli is tender, 8 to 10 more minutes. Remove from the oven, toss in the cheese and serve immediately.

28 comments:

  1. Lovely meal! I'll have to try the highly rated broccoli recipe very soon! Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, thank you for posting the wonderful sounding broccoli recipe. The days of serving broccoli drenched in cheese are over in our house (much to my husband's dismay). I know I will love the Alton Brown recipe that you posted.

    Your pictures are gorgeous and so enticing looking (as usual); they make my mouth water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying this again..the first didn't go through!
    Your dinner looks wonderful! I love carmelized onions. I make my brocc that way too. Even I eat it, and I am not a brocc fan.
    As usual, your pics are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh wow!! this looks amazingly delish! A must try for sure

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is one reason I love blogging--the photography, the writing, the sharing, and the food...all stunning. I want Bandwidth to see this. My mother is visiting, and she will adore this meal.
    XX00

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, my Sicilian grandmother used to prepre broccoli and cauliflower this way all the time- breadcrumbs and cheese. I had never seen anyone else do it! And pork tenderloin is one of my favorite and go-to cuts of meat. As a trainer, I love the fact that it's delicious as well as good for you
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your meal looks so good Susan..and you're so good at keeping healthy..off the wagon for Palm Springs..then right back on..It's the only way isn't it?:)

    I'll add cheese to my broccoli..Jacques will love it..we always roast ..or BBQ or sauté it..I remember my darling mom.. boiling it until it was melt in your mouth:)I kept making it like that for 100 yrs until I learned differently:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are very few things i love more than caramelized onions. This dish looks mouth-wateringly good. I've been on a meat and veggie kick lately as well so I could always use a few new recipes up my sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great meal, guess what I am having for dinner on Sunday :) Thanks for sharing such great recipes. Hope you enjoyed your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so delicious! Can't wait to try the broccoli recipe. Roasted vegetables are so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dinner looks delicious...I will have to try broccoli this way. I think I would have to add a squirt of lemon, though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Broccoli is on the dinner menu today and I'm going to prepare it your way. It looks delicious and healthy too. Lovely photos, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan,
    Just printed the broccoli recipe. That will happen this week!

    Have a great weekend.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm really interested in the broccoli recipe, Susan. I love roasting my veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper. I tried it with broccoli once and didn't like it at all.
    I don't watch Alton Brown much, but found one of my favorite salad recipes by accident on his show. (Roasted Edamame Salad-I posted it a while back) So I'm thinking this might be something I'd like...different because of the garlic, panko and parmesan. Will copy and try it this week.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pork looks fantastic! and that broccoli will be a definite on my table this week! Looks and sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great meal and the pictures are mouth watering!! Can't wait to try:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks soooo good!!! The carmelized onions is what really catches my eye and taste buds!

    Will definitely have to try the broccoli recipe..sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Susan, I could eat broccoli every day of the week. Thanks for sharing this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We love roasted vegetables and no matter how much I make, we eat it all. Have to try it with bread crumbs and parmesan!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could make a meal on a couple of those bundles. Look and sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Susan! These look amazing. I love that photo with the pork and the onions and the broccoli in the background. YOWza. See the color of those onions? That's my favorite food color. Whenever I see something that color, I KNOW it's going to be good. Thanks for posting these!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a delicious and healthy looking meal...Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Both recipes look wonderful - I think the oven roasted broccoli might make me eat it more often. Kathleen's oven roasted cauliflower became a hit here too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Susan, thanks much for the tenderloin recipe! Made it tonight. It was out of this world delicious! It'll be my new 'go-to' pork recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Susie, I love your copper pot and the white plates that you served the poached eggs on. The greens from your garden are very pretty too! Shirl

    ReplyDelete
  26. Has anyone done this in the slow cooker, after browning the pork? Just wondering how it would turn out would love to try it tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing!! My husband has requested that this be placed on our "favorites" list!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!