Thursday, October 1, 2009

Tomato and Corn Pie



Here's a recipe that tastes much better than it looks! Please forgive the photos but it was a dark, dreary evening here when I put this together.  Let me assure you that this was very good! I had purchased fresh Wisconsin corn from the farmer's market and used my own home grown tomatoes, basil and chives. It was the first time I had used my new Kuhn Rikon corn zipper and I loved how it made taken corn off the cob so easy! My friend, Carol, was the first one I know to have one. Thanks, Carol!

Here it is just before the grated cheese and top crust were added...



The warm biscuit-like crust and melted cheese combined with the rest of the wonderful ingredients for autumn harvest goodness.


There are some wonderful comments and tips at the Epicurious website - be sure to read them if you make this.

Tomato and Corn Pie


Courtesy Epicurious
Printable Recipe

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, plus 2 teaspoons melted
3/4 cup whole milk
1/3 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 3/4 lb beefsteak tomatoes, peeled and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1 1/2 cups corn (from about 3 ears), coarsely puréed in a food processor
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
7 oz coarsely grated sharp Cheddar (1 3/4 cups)
preparation

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl, then blend in 3/4 stick cold butter with your fingertips or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal. Add milk, stirring until mixture just forms a dough, then gather into a ball.

Divide dough in half and roll out on a lightly flour surface into a 12-inch round (1/8 inch thick). Place into a 9-inch glass pie plate, patting with your fingers to fit (there will be just enough dough to line plate without an overhang).

Preheat oven to 400°F.

Whisk together mayonnaise and lemon juice. Arrange half of tomatoes in crust, overlapping, and sprinkle with half of corn, 1 tablespoon basil, 1/2 tablespoon chives, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Repeat layering with remaining tomatoes, corn, basil, chives, pepper, and salt, then sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Pour lemon mayonnaise over filling and sprinkle with remaining cheese.

Roll out remaining piece of dough into a 12-inch round in same manner, then fit over filling, folding overhang under edge of bottom crust and pinching edge to seal. Cut 4 steam vents in top crust and brush crust with 2 teaspoons melted butter.

Bake pie in middle of oven until crust is golden and filling is bubbling, 30 to 35 minutes, then cool on a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.

•Pie can be baked 1 day ahead and cooled completely, then chilled, covered. Reheat in a preheated 350°F oven until warm, about 30 minutes.

21 comments:

  1. That pie looks so inviting!!!! And not at all fattening. I am looking for some "light" recipes, and this one is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came for the Tomato and Corn pie and stayed for just about every recipe you have on your blog! Love it!
    Have a wonderful week end!
    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love everything nananow:) The new header your outdoor decor and the photos..we've had a week of dreary ....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your new look is BEWITCHING!
    Very ominous....
    And the pie looks delicious...
    Flowers are beautiful..no color yet here..but it was chilly yesterday..
    Have a great weekend, Susan...

    ReplyDelete
  5. GREAT!!! recipe., I will have to try this. Great timing we had are first freeze last night so I had to pick all the tomatoes from the garden. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, I LOVE the new look ... another watercolor of yours? paper birch? .... And the background color and swirls reminds me of making a pumpkin pie when you've just added the cinnamon and nutmeg to the pumpkin.

    The recipe and your pictures sound and look fabulous. You find the best recipes.

    I loved your autumn flashback ... beautiful, artistic pictures ... love the trio of pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fall look! Your recipe looks delicious. I'll be giving that a try.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mighty delicious looking savory pie! I saw a similar recipe last week and printed it out for my TODO list and I will add this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think the pictures looked bad at all, in fact, I am copying the recipe to use soon. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love savory pies and yours looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will have to try this recipe. Did you paint the scene for your header?

    Lovely.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wish corn season wasn't over here. How do you think the pie would be using frozen? And the pics are fine! Everyone seems to be obsessed with light boxes now, lol. Sometimes eating is just more important. ;)

    I really do love your new watercolor!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Susan, yes, I love the new look, but then I loved the other looks you've had! You have such a flair! I did some re-decorating too! I think the Tomato Corn Pie looks appealing, interesting combination. Of course, your flashback is just gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, ladies!

    Yes, Cynthia, Carol and Cindy, it's another one of my watercolors.

    Cindy, I just read through the reviews on Epicurious and a couple of people did use frozen corn. I think the trick is to drain everything really, really well, including the tomatoes - so that the crust doesn't get soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If I had just seen the title of this recipe it would not have held much interest to me..but seeing your photos and reading the recipe it is one I think I would like!
    Love your new look and I knew as soon as I saw it - the header has to be one of your watercolors!! They are all so beautiful..
    Good job Nana!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pie looks great! LOL, so you got that corn thingee :)

    Gorgeous flashback, Susan, just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OH this recipe looks delicious!! I need to find some corn and make this like NOW! :-) Love the flashback to fall. Gorgeous! With all the trees I have behind me none of good color like that. I don't think this is going to be a good year here for changing leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous idea for a veggie pie!
    (I have been meaning to tell you how lovely the watercolor is in your header. And the mailbox. Did you do those? Such a talent!)
    Also love your fall photos- I miss fall so much in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like delicious combinations! I love fresh corn so I kniw I'd love this.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The pie does look good and I wish I could take as wonderful photos on a sunny day as you do on what you call a dark & dreary day! If you lived closer..I'd take lessons :)

    The fall photos are just gorgeous and I too love seeing your autumn painting in the header. You should paint one of little M :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!