Friday, May 1, 2009

Gazpacho filled Avocados


I love avocados and practically all Mexican food and I found this recipe for an appetizer that I thought would make a perfect luncheon salad for me today...Avocados filled with Gazpacho:

I served it in a dish that I bought in Puerto Vallarta almost 10 years ago.

...with blue corn tortillas on the side - it was scrumptious :)


Here is the recipe:

Gazpacho in Avocado Boats
~adapted from Creme de Colorado cookbook
Serves 1-2
Printable Recipe

1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup tomato, cut into small dice
3 tablespoons seedless cucumber, peeled and cut into small dice
3 tablespoons green bell pepper, cut into small dice
1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno pepper, finely minced
2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 avocado, peeled, halved, pitted and rubbed with lime juice to prevent browning

lettuce leaves, washed and dried
tortilla chips

Combine sliced onion, diced tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and lime juice to make gazpacho. Rub avocado with additional lime juice. Line a bowl or plate with lettuce leaves. Top with avocado halves and fill each half with gazpacho. Serve with tortilla chips on the side.

Here is some interesting information on Cinco de Mayo.

18 comments:

  1. Susan ... lovely dish from Puerto Vallarta ... It's the perfect vessel for your Gazpacho filled Avocados.

    The Creme of Colorado cookbook must be a real winner. I remember several of your posted recipes from it.

    I am so glad that you flashbacked to your Chili Blanco Especial; I meant to copy and paste it when you previously posted but forgot. The combination of ingredients sound fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure to make this..I love avocado..and the crunch of the salsa would be a hit w/ me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, more winners from you! They both look like delicious dishes. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was later than you! But I made it..phew!
    It looks beautiful, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful dish this is! I love avocado and this is such a great presentation!! Happy Cinco de Mayo to you, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both look and sound delish, esp the avocado!
    Great as usual...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That avocado salad looks BEAUTIFUL! You should go to work preparing food at a spa Susan. Diet food never looked so good! I remember that Chili Blanco and it's looking mighty good and MORE avocados on top. MMMMMM Great flashback. I wonder why everyone's mirror balls disappeared. I still have mine!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This gazpach musr be very refreshing!!! I have ti try it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful looking avocado salad. I could eat this one everyday, all my favorite flavors.

    I remember your great chili flashback as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow... Very pretty avocado salad... I wish I can have a bite.. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everything that comes out of your kitchen is great, but the avocado boats are show-stoppers; they're inventive and appetizing! And the bowl is stunning, too.
    Hugs,
    G

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, my goodness! That looks fantastic! I love avocados too and I'm sure this would be a winner with me! I also love love that beautiful bowl. I'm so glad you popped in to see me and I hope you'll come back for another visit sometimes.
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very refreshing dish! I want a few of those now, it's getting really hot here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is just lovely. Magnificent idea, perfectly executed. Great job. 10 out of 10. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look like a fabulous entree...if only i could convince my husband to like avacado!!! Oh well, more for me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love putting salads in avocado halves, I think I just like any kind of edible bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I found this lovely recipe from year 2009 and it's still strong and kicking! :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!