Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Leftover Ham? Make Navy Bean Soup!


Please see my 2019 updated post on this recipe by clicking HERE!

I may bake a ham once, possibly twice a year. I enjoy the ham but I have to admit - the best thing, for me, is making soup from the ham bone! My favorite use of leftover ham is to make split pea soup, but this time navy bean soup just sounded so good and hearty. My soup was made from mostly navy beans but I found a bag of dried pink beans on the shelf and couldn't resist adding a few of those.


Add a sprinkle of freshly chopped parsley or a dash of Herbes de Provence and a few cheddar bread sticks and you'll have a cozy and delicious dinner!

This soup recipe is adapted from numerous recipes and adapted to my taste buds. I hope you try it!!

Enjoy :)


Savoring Time in the Kitchen is a member of the Amazon Affiliate Program. If you purchase a product by following a link that we provide, the price you pay as a consumer does not change, but if you do make a purchase through one of these links, we earn a very small commission for providing that link. Thank you for your support of Savoring Time in the Kitchen! 

Navy Bean Soup
Printable Recipe
~A Savoring Time in the Kitchen Original

1 pound navy beans (Today, I added some pink beans also)
1 meaty ham bone, or you could use a smoked pork hock
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-3 medium carrots, diced
2-3 stalks of celery, diced
1 large clove minced garlic
2-3 sprigs of thyme
Approximately 3 quarts Water, Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Salt and Pepper

If you are a well-planned soup maker, you can soak the beans overnight. If you’re like me, at least get started in the morning! Pick out any unsavory-looking beans and rinse in a colander. Place the beans into a soup pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, remove from heat and let them rest for 30 minutes. Pour beans back into the colander and rinse again.

Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a sauté pan. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sauté for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent. Add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute more.

Put the beans back into the soup pot along with the ham bone and cover with water or, as I do, add chicken or vegetable stock to cover the beans by at least 2 inches. Add the sautéed vegetables and thyme sprigs and simmer the soup on low heat for 4-5 hours until the beans are tender. Remove ham bone, dice the remaining ham from the bone and return to soup.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Remove thyme stems before serving and garnish with Mediterranean Sea Salt or Parsley. Cheddar bread sticks are a perfect compliment.

12 comments:

  1. Susan, we love bean soup! Congrats on FG :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your perfect little bowls! As night follows day so does bean soup follow a ham! Like the evening turkey sandwich on Thanksgiving, the bean soup following Easter dinner is often the best part of the meal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan.. too funny..you will smile when you see my post..
    Your red bowls are beautiful with the soup:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, it LOOKS delicious. Of course, everything looks great in your red bowls.

    The last two hams we've had were Honeybaked. They do NOT make great bean soup IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect way to end your Easter Ham with..the red makes it look even more comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your soup looks delicious, Susan! and so nice in those pretty red bowls! Great dinner with the bread sticks, pretty presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, wow, you make bean soup look gorgeous! I know it must have been delicious as well as beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan,
    Ah red bowls, that is what my navy bean soup has been lacking, luv them....~Cathy~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything would lood good in those little red bowls/plates but I do like bean soup and your recipe sounds delicious. Wonderful photos as always!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love navy bean soup. Your pink additions are cute! It all looks beautiful as usual!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! I have navy beans and I have leftover ham (from Easter). All I need is some striking red bowls and I can recreate your dining experience.

    Would you believe my Thyme survived our long winter? Perhaps my thumb is not all that green, after all. It's rather, a muddy olive green. Regardless, I'm thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you ladies :)

    Marysol - LOL! I think I saw some parsley that's alive here :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!