Saturday, February 28, 2009

Chicken Marsala


Our last meal of February was Chicken Marsala from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse. This and a warm loaf of my homemade bread made with the master recipe from Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes made for a very tasty late winter meal.


Saucy, mushroomy and delicious! This is a wonderful recipe for a classic dish.


Chicken Marsala


Recipe Courtesy of Emeril Lagasse

4 servings

Ingredients

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
2 (6 to 8-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in halves and pounded thin
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 tablespoons butter
3 cups sliced mushrooms (cremini, oyster, shiitake)
3/4 cup Marsala
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Chopped chives, for garnish

Directions

In a shallow bowl or plate combine the flour and Essence and stir to combine thoroughly. Quickly dredge the chicken breast halves in the seasoned flour mixture, shaking to remove any excess flour.

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining butter to the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are golden brown around the edges and have given off their liquid. Add the Marsala wine and bring to a boil, scraping to remove any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. When the wine has reduced by half, add the chicken stock and cook for 3 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Lower the heat to medium and return the chicken breasts to the pan and continue to cook until they are cooked through and the sauce has thickened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Swirl in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, add salt and pepper, to taste.

Garnish with chopped chives and serve immediately.

Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):


2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.

Yield: about 2/3 cup

11 comments:

  1. Gorgeous post as always Susan! I love how you did the winter and spring photos. I remember when we talked about these templates on GB but could you point me in the right direction on where to get them. Or did you design them yourself?

    Your Chicken Marsala looks great. I have a bottle of marsala I bought quite a while ago for this express purpose but haven't made it yet. This might be a silly question, but what do you do with the Marsala that you don't use for the chicken. How long will it keep? Or must I drink it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - your poor diving board !! lol
    I adore your collages, absolutely beautiful. I'm interested in the answer too from Suzy!

    The Chicken Marsala looks really good, something I've never tried..have never purchased marsala either..FIRST time for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love the framed art of winter and spring...a beautiful presentation.

    The chicken looks wonderful. Any dish with that many mushrooms in the sauce has to be good. I've never had chicken marsala either but would love to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Susan, you always come up with a great post... the framed Spring flowers are just lovely! Ugh to the winter ones, although I like the pics, I don't like experiencing it in person. Wow, what a great looking dinner! Super shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, John loves chicken marsala and we've never made it. He orders it regularly at the different Italian restaurants we frequent. Likes some better than others... Yours really looks tasty, lots of mushrooms.

    Your "framed" winter and springs photos are delightful. I remember the red house surrounded by all the snow.

    Very pretty post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You really are so talented, Susan! Very creative presentation! and I love the Marsala, looks absolutely delicious! Another great post!

    Suzy, make zabaglione, it's a really nice custard with Marsala!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post, Susan...I love the framed flowers!
    Your Marsala looks wonderful, that and piccata are my favorites..

    Suzy, nothing happens to the wine, it lasts...so make it, then make it again and again...I have never had it go bad...

    Thanks for fine farewell February foto fest...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, the chicken marsala is one of my favorites. The last time I had it was Christmas time at my sister's home. I must make it soon! Love the framed flowers. Your posts are always so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao to FEb ..me too..I find it flew by though..must be the celebrations..now onto March:)
    Your chicken looks wonderful..w/ the mushrooms and broc..Comfort food to me..

    I too like your artwork..You know that..
    Here's to March~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't believe we are now in March. In December, when I thought about winter coming it seemed it would go on forever. How did we end up here in March so quickly.

    Chicken Marsala is one of my favorites. I'm going to try your version Susan. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good riddance to February. Adios, Sayonara, Arrivederci, Later.

    Susan, I haven't had Chicken Marsala in years, and if there was a way to dive into that picture and steal your plate, I would. But then, your blog would be devoid of delectable images.
    And I just couldn't do that to you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!