Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hasselback Potatoes ~ Ode to a Tuber...Part One





There's nothing like a wonderful, crispy potato to compliment a piece of fish, so when I decided to grill salmon last night, I tried my first new potato recipe of 2009.

As soon as I saw these potatoes I knew I would be making them very soon. Thank you Cathy, for sharing the recipe!




The recipe is so very simple and the possibilities are endless.

Simply take a whole, scrubbed potato (I used Russets) and, with a very sharp knife, cut slices into the potato without going all the way through (some ends fell off for me but that didn't matter). I've read that putting a large wooden spoon under the potato helps to not cut all the way through.

Then, brush olive oil over the potatoes and between the slices. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper to taste and then dust with paprika. I didn't add the fresh herbs at the end like Cathy.  Also, I used russets instead of red potatoes because that's what I had on hand.

Bake in a 450F degree oven until crispy. I found mine needed about 40 minutes but I would start watching them after 25 minutes since ovens and potato sizes are different. When they come out of the oven you can drizzle them with a little melted butter for a more decadent spud!

Here's a cute little potato ditty to get you in the mood ;)

17 comments:

  1. Susan..I love these..we add thin slices of onions in between each slice:)
    Yours look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan- We like these very much. I add cheese and melted butter after they are done and cook till cheese melts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Linda! I like your idea and yours too, Monique :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Robert (from Dinner Impossible) did these on the Food TV Christmas special. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look wonderful and that ditty was too funny! I'm trying them soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look delicious and easy, I'm definitely going to try them. My kids laughed so hard at that potato ditty thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks super susan, its on my list next real meal i make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look great! Donna Hay does potatoes like this as well, we made last summer using her recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your comment on Tastespotting "for those of you still eating starch". I love this potato recipe too. I think they're also called hasselback potatoes.

    Hillary
    Chew on That

    ReplyDelete
  10. These just look so yummy, and I'm not even a potato person. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Susan, cute You Tube clip... I sat through it twice.

    I love the look of those potatoes. We always bake ours with lots of kosher salt, so I know we would love this method.

    Thanks for sharing, can't wait to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those might be too fancy for me, I'm just a common tater..:)
    They look delicious..., snd the ditty is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love hasselback potatoes. Yours look really nice, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, the potatoes look so good! Gosh, so many good foods to try and so little time! I'll make time for those!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the potato, Susan, it looks delicious! Really nice presentation! Saw you on ts, congrats!

    and the youtube, LOL, very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These look like the Hasselback Potatoes. If they are, I've made them quite a few times in the past, and they are always wonderful. But your pictures make me seriously crave them all over again.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!