I have adapted this recipe from one I found in Stop and Smell the Rosemary by the Junior League of Houston. With a little wonderful bacon, some fruit and a Mimosa and you're ready to welcome a New Year in savory style.
Savory Breakfast Strata
• 5 cups cubed day-old bread, crust removed (one large boule)
• 5 links Italian turkey sausage, casings removed, browned, and crumbled.
• 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, oil-reserved
• 3/4 cup chopped onion
• 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
• 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 to 1-1/2 cups)
• 9 large eggs
• 2-1/2 cups milk
• 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
• 1-1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread bread cubes in casserole. Sprinkle cooked sausage evenly over bread cubes. Pour 1 tablespoon reserved sun-dried tomato oil into skillet. Add onions and sauté until tender. Add tomatoes and rosemary, stirring until blended. Place onion mixture over sausage. Cover with cheese. Whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and nutmeg in a medium bowl until well blended. Pour egg mixture over casserole. Cover with aluminum foil (tip - spray first with non-stick spray).
Refrigerate 8 to 10 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Uncover casserole. Bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until set.