Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Gingerbread Cookies - My Way

 

When I first started making gingerbread cookies for my family years ago, no one would eat them. They were either too hard, too spicy, or just too scary. I've worked on tweaking a recipe that would appeal to all of our palates and have finally found one that we love. The little cinnamon decors on their noses add a nice little 'pop' of flavor. I save that part for last :)


These little Gingerbread Reindeer seem to be galloping all over my house this week!




Here is my recipe:

Gingerbread Cookies

• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 1 cup butter or margarine

• 1/2 cup molasses
• 1 egg
• 1 Tablespoon vinegar
• 2 teaspoons cinnamon
• 1-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

• 3-1/2 (approx) cups flour
• 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 375 degrees when ready to start baking.

Cream sugar and butter until smooth. Add next 5 ingredients and mix until just blended. Add flour, baking soda and salt and mix until incorporated.

Pat dough into ball and put in plastic wrap or covered bowl in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to several days.

Roll out on floured surface to 1/4" thickness and cut into desired shapes. Sprinkle with colored sugar and add cinnamon decorations, if desired.

Bake in preheated oven for 7 to 8 minutes.

13 comments:

  1. I just adore those little reindeer and I love how you photographed them in groups of three in the evergreen boughs. It's making me want to go out and buy reindeer cutters. I'll save this recipe in my ever expanding recipe file.

    The santas are beautiful once again. Is most of your collection the glass ones like C Radko's? They are so gorgeous and fragile looking. I really enjoy coming here to "savor time in your blog"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Marsha! Many of the santas are Radkos. I also have a few Patricia Breen ornaments that I bought some years ago - before her prices went through the roof. Some are just lucky finds from gift shops and department stores. I always have my eyes open for them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Printing printing one two three..If I am going to make gingerbread cookies..It better be a recipe that's tried and true and cute!

    Imagine..I just popped into FG and there u were..I thought How cute..and it's u:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Precious post Susan! I'd love to try your recipe. All of the Santas are so cute. Can't pick a fav.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Santa's, Beautiful! So colorful, festive and vivid! You have a gorgeous collection!

    The cookies look so good! I love their noses :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, more darling Santas... I'm so glad you're sharing your collection.

    DUH!!! On Jain's birthday post, I thought the elf was holding a felt reindeer...

    Your gingerbread reindeer are perfect. I, also, save the cinnamon for last. .... love the photo progression in your greenery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Monique, Suzy, Carol and Cynthia! These gingerbread reindeer have been a part of our holidays for more years than I care to admit - LOL!

    Thank for visiting Marija! I just visited your wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. just found you on fg, i am so behind, tomorrow i will catch up on all of you! susan your pics and decor are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I aim to try your recipe...I copied one in the hair salon today, Paula Deen's...I have never made them...I remember as a kid not liking them as they were spicy, but I like them now!
    I don't think I have reindeer cutters, so boys and girls...but def want to try yours..
    Love your Santas!
    Saw AnnaLee is it? in HG. Never would have stopped to look if not for you and Jain,,,still too high, I'll wait them out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan, another recipe to add to my Christmas cookie file. I hope you will keep sharing your beautiful ornament collection! What will we do in January :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos of your holiday treats and ornaments! I'll agree with you on the gingerbread issues w/my boys when they were young. It's probably why I rarely made it. Good for you for finding such a perfect recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Kathleen, Debbie and Jain! Yes, wait it out, Kahtleen :) Check out the big department stores too after Christmas, if you like them. !

    Thanks for visiting, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!