Thursday, October 4, 2012

Clam, Halibut and Sweet Corn Chowder


If you enjoy clam chowder, I think you will love this recipe! We are so fortunate to have friends who love to cook and enjoy finding new recipes to prepare for and share with each other.  On one such occasion, we were served this delicious chowder. 


I enjoyed it so much, I couldn't wait to make it myself. Our friend gladly shared the recipe and her adaptations, which I am sharing with you.  This is a perfect, late summer/early fall chowder.  Sweet corn season is nearing its end here, so if you can't get fresh sweet corn at the farmers' market any longer, it's okay to use the sweet corn from your grocer.


When our friend made this for us, she didn't use the fish called for in the recipe but used a larger quantity of clams.  When I made it at home I tried it with the addition of halibut filets and it was wonderful!

Clam, Halibut and Sweet Corn Chowder

Adapted from Chef Adam Zimmerman, Sepia (Chicago)
Printable Recipe

Serves 4

Clam juice – about 1 quart
8 ears sweet corn, shucked and kernels removed, saving cobs (divide kernels in half)
2 leeks, white part only, diced (divided in half)
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (divided in half)
3 stalks celery, peeled and diced (divided in half)
1 medium onions, peeled and diced (divided in half)
4 sprigs fresh thyme (divided)
1 bay leaf

1 1/2 lbs small red or Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and cut to the size of the pearl onions
16 peeled pearl onions
2 cups heavy cream, reduced to 1 cup
4 strips of bacon, cut into 1” pieces (can be omitted, if desired)
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

Salt and fresh ground black pepper
4 each 5-ounce skinless halibut or cod filets
12 little neck clams, scrubbed
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup chopped parsley for garnish

In an 8-quart stock pot combine the remaining 1/2 of kernels with 10 of the corn cobs, half of the diced leek, and half of the celery, carrots and onions, as well as 2 sprigs of thyme and the bay leaf. Add the clam juice then add enough water to cover by about 2 inches and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes. Strain the corn stock and discard the solids.

Wash out the stock pot and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Over medium heat add the bacon and cook until rendered and lightly golden brown. Remove the bacon and drain on a paper towel. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the bacon fat/olive oil mixture and add the reserved leeks, onions, carrots, celery and corn kernels. Add a pinch of salt and sweat until the vegetables are just beginning to get tender. Add the corn stock and the remaining thyme. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add the potatoes, pearl onions, and cream. Simmer until the potatoes are tender. Add the clams and continue to cook just until the clams open. Add the chopped parsley and the reserved bacon (if using) and taste. Add salt and pepper as needed.

Heat a large sauté pan over medium high heat. Season the halibut or cod with salt and pepper.  Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and fish. Sear the fish about 4 minutes per side until just cooked through. 

To serve, place a ladle-full of chowder and vegetables into each serving bowl. Add some of the chowder broth and top with a filet of halibut or cod.

Garnish with chopped parsley, reserved cooked bacon and serve with a crusty baguette.

Note:  Can be made without the fish filets - double the amount of clams.




47 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful marriage of chowders. We usually do them one at a time. I must get some haddock for a fish chowder. Cooler weather always makes me think about a hearty chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks delicious! I wish I could have some, maybe just use the halibut and a fish stock? I sure do miss clams. Frankie would love the corn cobs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's worth a try, Carol! The original recipe doesn't use clam juice, only water.

      Delete
  3. And we are so lucky you share with us..I have clams:-)
    Must get some corn..mouth watering pics Susan..we love this kind of soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I would enjoy this, and it's been a while since I have had chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks and sounds yummy. Thanks for sharing the recipe
    I am ready for some real comfort food.
    Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! What a spectacular sounding chowde! I know I'd love it, Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds delicious and is going onto the must try list soon - your stacked clam presentation makes it look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG this sounds delicious. Such a comforting soup especially on a chilly autumn day and so pretty. No wonder you liked it so much plus with 2 cups of cream it has to taste amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In love your presentation for this delish sounding chowder my friend :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your chowder looks & sounds wonderful Susan! Add a glass of wine and some crusty bread and I'm a happy girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great pics Susan! Chowder really sounds good, we just need the cooler weather to come back in Philly. Happy Weekend:@)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yours truly doesn't bookmark very often. He did so this morning with this page.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am always in the mood for chowder. Love your presentation with the clams.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, thank you! Chowders are favorites around here. I'm happy to say that I have a half dozen packages of fresh (prepared the day picked) frozen corn off the cob waiting for worthy recipes in my freezer.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't made chowder in years, Susan. Looking at your photos, I can't imagine why, especially since I live right next to the ocean!
    Love the presentation with the clams; looks like a fabulous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Look delicious Susan I really love seafood!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. A heavenly chowder, Susan. And your photos are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your chowder looks so good, Susan. I made a pot of clam chowder last week but this looks so much more interesting. Corn I bought last week was a little starchy so I guess the season is over.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Adoro los mariscos rico plato y saludable,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this recipe.
    I have to find an alternative to halibut because in Italy is not easily to find

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure any white, flaky fish would work well in this chowder.

      Delete
  21. Your photos are mouthwatering. I'm always looking for a new Chowder recipe Susan, Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This chowder definitely sounds incredibly delicious! Quite hearty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This chowder brings back fond memories; it is the first soup I discovered when I moved to the US over thirty years ago, yet I never tried to make it myself at home! Your post is making me want to now, especially since street vendors all over are selling corn in the husk and the mediterranean sea is but a few feet away! Great photos too Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  24. this looks divine would love a bowl and a night of cooking he he

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's a chill in the air tonight, and I'm wishing I had clams on hand for this luscious chowder. Note to self- buy clams! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! This rocks. The presentation alone is beautiful.

    Happy fall to you.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a hearty and cozy chowder.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG this sounds amazing.

    You are welcome to join in my monthly food blogger event THE SOUP KITCHEN, here for entry details and current theme. New theme each month. All bloggers are welcome, hope to see you participate soon.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I guess we are on the same path Susan as I made some soup too! This chowder looks perfect for the first chills of Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gosh, I love chowders ( have a whole book on them). Love this recipe... can't wait to try it. A few oyster crackers make it a perfect meal for me!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That looks fabulous! I do like clam chowder and make it often. i am a wimp though, my clams have to be chopped. DH and son just love them on the half shell after digging them! I wait, and chop them for baked clams or chowder. It is scallop season now, and they are finally coming back. Very interesting how they catch them!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a beautiful chowder. I love your clams in the shells and the beautiful corn. I love the fall for soups and fresh breads. Maybe that is why I always gain weight in the fall too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. It looks delicious Susan!Great photos, have a nice day, hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely photos that draw me right in to your delicious looking bowl of chowder!
    I think it's time for me to make chowder, great idea to add the halibut;-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. My mouth is watering on this one, now I just need some good wild-caught clams from cold waters.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Holy smokes this looks good! My mom just made a lobster corn chowder and it was amazing, so I can only imagine how good this one is!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  37. This looks sensational! I love the combination of corn, cream and thyme and even better with a medley of seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  38. That chowder looks delicious, I love the way the clams look in the bowl - it makes you want to eat it. Nice adaptation by adding in halibut to make it a bit 'meatier'

    ReplyDelete
  39. Looks amazing! Love clams, but there are not so many really good recipes...finally : )

    ReplyDelete
  40. Just landing up to ur blog for the 1st time, indeed u made me hungry Susan, i would make sure dat my wife look at ur blog, as she is a horrible cook.

    Christmas Parties

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!