Sunday, April 18, 2010

Sandwich Sunday ~ Mixed Olive Spread



I'm Baaaaaack - at last! Thank you for all your kind and sympathetic comments!

Being without a computer for a week was awful, as I'm sure you can imagine if you've ever been through the same thing! All the little 'connections' you take for granted were gone for me.  I did try to use my 'unconnected' time wisely and got lots of gardening and yard work accomplished. We celebrated our oldest daughter's 29th birthday, took care of our little grandson for a day and had our favorite guest dog for the weekend.

$$$ later, my computer has been returned to me running like a charm (fingers crossed).

This coming week, I have to work full-time - one of my usual 'seasonal' stints at a friend's company. So today, I needed to think about lunch for work.  I hadn't made my favorite olive spread in quiet a while and decided to make some for lunch today and to bring to the office tomorrow.


I first had this sandwich years ago at Watts Tea Shop in downtown Milwaukee. The tea room is located above George Watts and Son, a beautiful china, crystal and silverware store downtown which has been an icon in our area since 1870 and a favorite for brides-to-be to register for their weddings. Years later, they published the recipe for the olive spread  in our local newspaper and I've been making it since then.

You can make this with the olives of your choice.  I opted for a combination of green, black and Kalamata olives this time.  Chop them up and add a handful of toasted pecans, mayo, a touch of creamed cheese and spread it on whole wheat bread and let your taste buds rejoice!


If you love olives and pecans as much as I do, you will love this!

Mixed Olive Spread
Adapted from Watts Tea Room
Printable Recipe

2 cups olives or your choice...green, black, or Kalamata
1/2 cup toasted pecans, chopped
1/4 cup cream cheese
A little olive juice
Mayonnaise - just enough to moisten
A small splash of olive oil
Pepper to taste
A little chopped parsley for garnish

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Spread over slices of your favorite whole wheat bread.  Makes about 4 sandwiches.

27 comments:

  1. My mom used to make us cream cheese and olive sandwiches all the time when I was a kid! They still bring me back to adolescence. I think the crunch of the nuts really adds something here! So glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!! And this looks amazing- just the kind of thing I love for lunch!
    xoxo Pattie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back, you have been missed :)

    Interesting combination, I would try it, I love olives and pecans! Never would think to put it together like that! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be part of my next tea -- and what great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get your computer fixed. The olive spread sounds like a nice lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The olive spread is quite unique to me...olives, pecans....mmmm, I am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great dish. Love the olive spread. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been craving olives this last week, and this is an answer to my prayers! Yummy, can't wait to get home to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoy olive spread, and this sounds wonderful Susan. Don't work too hard this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have missed you!! Glad everything is back up and running. This olive spread looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to see you back!

    Your olive spread sounds so good. Ironically I just copied an Olive with Roasted Almond appetizer to try out sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to read you again!!! Lovely sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pleased you are back, Susan! We have come to depend on computers and when they're down and out, it's a major upset!

    Love your olive sandwich! And that you used a combo of olives to make it. My mother used to make something with cream cheese and pimento-stuffed olives but I like this version much better!

    (I bet everytime you turn off your computer, you cross your fingers when you restart it!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a classic tea sandwich... never tried to make it before or know what is in it... very cool. Thanks for the inspiration and glad to have your computer and you back on-line!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my, I do like the looks of this olive spread! I'm going to try your olive combination and add the pecans too. Gosh, this sounds good.

    I'm happy that your computer is up and running again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yipppeeee....I love olives Susan..Thank you..Sounds like you have had lovely days regardless..

    I really like my computer too:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you all, my friends! It is so good to be back online again :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This olive spread looks wonderful - I love the idea of mixed olives and combining them with pecans. Great texture.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never seen anything like that! Looks very interesting..Welcome back to Blogland, Susan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the addition of pecans..great recipe

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks wonderful.....so good...

    I have not had enough blog time lately...So glad that I stopped by tonight..Be sure and stop by main blog
    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-think-god-smiled.html
    and witness a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad to see you back! I'm sure John is glad to get his computer back also!! ;)
    HAve never heard of this olive spread before..looks interesting. Something I would like for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Now why haven't I heard of this before? Heads will roll...

    LOL, this looks like the perfect thing for afternoon tea sandwiches. Thanks for this recipe--I can see that it will be a keeper!

    I'm glad you're back. Being unplugged is no fun, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well Susan, you certainly know how to make an entrance. Glad to have you back!
    I'm a big advocate of olives, with a nutty edge, so this sandwich is ideal for someone like me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great sounding spread - I love olives and pecans so will definitely try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That sounds like a fantastic spread...I love olives of any kind, except those black ones in the cans, yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG ~ I love food and I'm crazy about olives and treats to munch on. This is making me hungry

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comment!